Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > O2 in H20: Breathing Skills
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013

jenson1a
Default Diminished Breathing

There was a point about 4 or 5 weeks ago where I felt I was really making progress with my breathing. I then got a chest cold and have felt that it never really left me. I use to be able to swim multiple laps without getting out of breath. Now I do 1 lap and have to rest at least a minute, even at slow TT settings (1.75)

I know there could be several reasons for this: not exhaling, inhaling too much, not relaxed, not fit, lifting head to breathe which causes drag, increased drag due to other causes--but what else could be the problem? I even get out of breath with skating drills and SG.

Wish I was more perceptive, but I am not and would sorely welcome any views on this and how I can proceed. Have tried slower tt and faster settings , tried telling myself to relax, tried the nodding drills, but nothing seems to workk. Getting frustrated and any suggestions would be welcomed. If the cause could be just from the cold, hopefully the Florida sunshine will take care of it.

Sherry
Old 01-13-2013

WFEGb

Hi Sherry,

Quote:
...Now I do 1 lap and have to rest at least a minute, even at slow TT settings (1.75)...
2ct from a non-coach: Think relaxation is the first tip. At TT 1.75 it seems to be a very hard exercise to stay relaxed and continues. Take off the TT and just swim an on relaxation focused lap. When your breath feels relaxed at the pool's edge swim another one...

2nd tip without real background: Offer yourself some hours or more and go through the entire program from start on. Each chapter 3 laps or so.

3rd tip (should be first): If not completely healthy be patient and don't stress your body too much. It could be dangerous. Suzanne may know more details about.

Hope you'll find some happy laps again soon!

Regards,
Werner

Last edited by WFEGb : 01-13-2013 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Orthographic reason
Old 01-13-2013

CoachToby

Sherry, sorry to hear you've run into problems with your swimming.

If you haven't quite shaken the cold, it's possible that this could be affecting your breathing. There are a number of tests that can be done to check the health of your lungs and measure how well you are breathing - information about these can be found online.

As far as the swimming goes, I think you have listed most of the obvious possible causes. Try to identify any changes in your practice routine that have occurred since your illness - eg: changes in technique, venue, emotional state, diet, sleep patterns, stress levels, exercise routines etc.

Posting some video is always the best way to get advice on aspects of technique.

I hope this helps.