Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Links and References
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2015
michaelmarshall5030

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBobM View Post
If you can roll 145 degrees (or even 180 degrees) and get air, I really don't see the advantage to using a snorkel. Rolling onto your back to breathe obviously isn't normal freestyle breathing, but neither is snorkel breathing.

What I would suggest, to progress to normal breathing, is the following:

1) Once you become comfortable with rolling to your interrupted breathing position, so that you can predict when your mouth and nose will be above the water, work on blowing air out through your nose as you roll to that position, so that your lungs are empty when you arrive at that position and you can immediately inhale quickly through your mouth.

2) As soon as you have filled your lungs with air, immediately roll back to your skate position and continue (spearskate, swingskate, or overswitch).

3) Once you become comfortable with this, focus on rolling just far enough to quickly take in a breath, then (without any pause) point your nose at the bottom again, rolling back to skate. See how little you can roll and still get a breath. Focus on inhaling through the corner of your mouth (what we call a "Popeye mouth"). Keep in mind that the faster you are moving, the less you are likely to need to roll, since your motion will create a pocket of air around your mouth through which you can breathe.
I've watched videos on the various drills like skating and switching... I have just finally figured out stay level and balanced, so I probably will keep working on this until it comes to me without any thought. But those will come.

In regards to the "Popeye mouth" to grab air, because of my Cerebral Palsy, I do not have that much exact fine motor movement of my mouth where I can control just one side. Trust me, I've tried and tried... I've drank enough water to come to the resolution that was not going to happen.
Old 09-16-2015
Coach

CoachBobM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmarshall5030 View Post
I've watched videos on the various drills like skating and switching... I have just finally figured out stay level and balanced, so I probably will keep working on this until it comes to me without any thought. But those will come.

In regards to the "Popeye mouth" to grab air, because of my Cerebral Palsy, I do not have that much exact fine motor movement of my mouth where I can control just one side. Trust me, I've tried and tried... I've drank enough water to come to the resolution that was not going to happen.
It's possible that your Cerebral Palsy might require that you roll farther to breathe than some people do. I don't think that's going to prevent you from being able to swim freestyle efficiently, though it may mean that you will end up swimming it a bit differently than some other people do.

Bob
Old 09-16-2015
michaelmarshall5030

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBobM View Post
It's possible that your Cerebral Palsy might require that you roll farther to breathe than some people do. I don't think that's going to prevent you from being able to swim freestyle efficiently, though it may mean that you will end up swimming it a bit differently than some other people do.
That's an interesting take on my entire situation... My first gut response was to take offense to that remark, but after some further thought, you are probably right that I will never be that smooth and effortless swimmer that I aspire to become. That being said, only my left arm and speech are affected by my CP, so I hoped I could roll to breathe only on my right side within my limitations, knowing I can work toward a smooth stroke on my right side.
Old 09-22-2015
Coach

CoachBobM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmarshall5030 View Post
That's an interesting take on my entire situation... My first gut response was to take offense to that remark, but after some further thought, you are probably right that I will never be that smooth and effortless swimmer that I aspire to become. That being said, only my left arm and speech are affected by my CP, so I hoped I could roll to breathe only on my right side within my limitations, knowing I can work toward a smooth stroke on my right side.
Sorry if anything I said offended you. That certainly wasn't my intention.

Here are some additional thoughts:

1) It is your core body, not your arms and legs, that are the primary driving force in your stroke.

I once coached at a 2-day TI workshop where one of the swimmers had only one leg. When we videotaped the swimmers on the first day, it took him 51 strokes to swim the length of the pool (I'm not sure whether it was 25y or 25m). His body was at nearly a 45 degree angle from the horizontal, and his stroke looked like a cross between freestyle and a dog paddle. But on the afternoon of the following day, he swam the same distance in 18 strokes, and his stroke looked more or less like everyone else's, in spite of his missing leg.

On one of our older freestyle videos, Terry included clips of a swimmer one of whose arms was only partially formed, and the swimmer looked almost indistinguishable from the others.

2) If your CP makes it easier for you to breathe only on your right side, that's perfectly okay. But I would encourage you to keep practicing the breathing drills on both sides, focusing on making your left side breathing as much like your right side breathing as possible. Think of it as a form of therapy. You may be amazed at how much progress you are able to make!

3) It takes great effort for any swimmer to develop an effortless stroke. It's likely that you will have to expend more effort than many other swimmers do because of the additional challenges you face, but I suspect that you will be able to achieve a stroke that is as effortless as anyone else's.

Let us know how you're doing!

Bob
Old 09-22-2015
michaelmarshall5030

No worries about offending me. I over-reacted a little, and I understand your point. :) That being said, I have to take a little time off from swimming due to some dental work which does not permit my face to be in the water. This is also the Fall/Winter competitive swim season at the pool I found, and the high school will be using the pool as well for the majority of the Winter; so there will not be open "slow" lanes for a while. Healing from the dental work will take some time, so I figured it was all perfect timing. This does not mean I cannot do dry land exercises to help me learn.You'll definitely be kept informed of my progress...
Old 09-22-2015

WFEGb

Hello michaelmarshall5030,

FWIW do know Shinji's dryland rehearsals?

http://tiswim.jp/digital-en/ebooks/d...basics-en.html

and

http://tiswim.jp/digital-en/ebooks/d...vanced-en.html

Best regards,
Werner
Old 09-22-2015
michaelmarshall5030

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFEGb View Post
Hello michaelmarshall5030,

FWIW do know Shinji's dryland rehearsals?

http://tiswim.jp/digital-en/ebooks/d...basics-en.html

and

http://tiswim.jp/digital-en/ebooks/d...vanced-en.html

Best regards,
Werner
Yes, I have seen some of his stuff. Coach Stuart also showed me his videos which are essentially the same drills.