Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > O2 in H20: Breathing Skills
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2009

naj
Default 02 in OW

Here's a question for all you open water (ow) swimmers. I am progressing in my open water pursuits but, I am having an issue of fully exhaling in the cold, non-visible S.F. Bay water. Those of you who have swam in cold, zero visibility salty climates; when you were just starting out in ow did this happen to you and did you experience fatigue sooner than you thought you would? I could use some advice on how to exhale properly in a salty climate.
Old 03-25-2009
Coach

CoachBrian

Perhaps you could explain why it's different?
Old 03-25-2009

naj

Totally new environment, it just doesn't seem like I'm exhaling enough and feel winded after 20 minutes or so. Someone said really pujsh out the C02 just before rolling to breathe. This true?
Old 03-25-2009

daveblt

You want to blow out the last bit as you turn to air but try breathing out steadily when your face is in the water.Perhaps you are holding your breath a little ?

Dave
Old 03-25-2009
Coach

CoachBrian

In theory, breathing should be no different in cold, dark water than it is in a warm, clear pool. In actual practice, there are two factors. One is psychological, the other physical.

Clearly, the murky water adds a psychological factor. Time in the murky water, with an understanding that lack of visibility is unimportant, will reduce and eliminate any stress the murky water causes. An unfamiliar environment can cause stress that will result in breathholding.

Cold water adds the physical factor, as well as the psychological factor. First uderstand that the water behaves the same, no matter the temperature or clarity (until you get down to 32 degrees!). However, the body will react differently to colder water.

Some of the more educated members of the forum can chime in about the physiological responses that make it difficult to breathe when your head is in cold water. Gradually submersing your head can reduce this, and remaining calm will also help.

Your body will require more energy, and therefore more oxygen, in cold water to stay warm.

So to summarize, breathe as you would in any other body of water, reduce any unwarranted tension (mental and physical), and understand that you may not swim as easily in colder water.

I find that if I get into the cold water for 5 minutes, and then get out and warm up, it feels better when I get back in.
Old 03-26-2009

kyliechops
Default O2 in H2O

I too have experienced trouble breathing in cold water and I think it tends to be mostly psychological... the minute my face hit that cold water, I freaked out and eventually started hyperventilating. It took me a bit to calm down, but once I got control of myself, it became easier.

The more practice you can get swimming in those conditions, the easier it should get. After my first experience with that, I went home and got out my glass bowl and started practicing just putting my face in cold water and relaxing. Terry demonstrates this in the O2 in H2O DVD; if you don't have it already, you should get it... very helpful.
Old 03-26-2009

naj

Thank you all for these excellent suggestions. I think one of my big problems is that I breathe only when I take a stroke (i.e left arm breathe, right arm breathe etc.) I have been practicing breathing out hard just before I turn to inhale again, this seems to help and I will try the water bowl thing as well. In fact, when I get a chance I'll get the 02 in H20 DVD.