Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Links and References
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2012

Mike from NS
Default Canada Games Centre - Halifax N.S.

This facility has launched a new web site which includes a few pictures of the pool area. If you are interested, go through the site to see what was my inspiration to learn to swim when they announced construction 5 years ago. It opened last February for the Canada Games and to the public around the 1st of March 2011. This picture shows the 3 pools and hot tub. The 8 lane 25M pool is to the left and the 1M deep leisure pool is in the center next to the hot tub. This leisure pool is a great place to practice Superman Glide over 25 M. A few more pictures of the pools can be found in the picture gallery. Also included is a view from one of the diving boards - look for "pool Schedule" in the Aquatic menu on the home page. If visiting Halifax you may want to stop by this facility for a bit of swimming fun!

http://canadagamescentre.ca/default....=293&mn=1.3.45

Mike
Old 01-07-2012

Butiki

Looks great! We have two similar centres that was built for the 2010 Olympics here in Vancouver. But only 1 has the pool. Luckily it's the centre near me. It always has at least 4 lanes dedicated to lengths. Between 6 and 9 am, they move the bulkhead so that lengths are 50m long. The rest of the day, it's 25m.
Old 01-07-2012

andyinnorway

Looks like a great facility. They are starting to build these type places in Norway now but always with private funding. When you just want to swim laps, they still charge you a full leisure ticket for use of the saunas and slides and cafe etc, the last one I went to cost me $25 with parking for my hour's swim. But for that I got a lane to myself. I think you buy and annual pass for about $1,400

Compare that to my local council pool, $200 a year full access including sauna and slightly out dated gym. Downside of that is all the things I moan about on this forum 36deg water two days a week, up to 8 leisure breastrokers in the lane and opening times only early morning and early evening.

Think if I lived nearer I would pay my $1,400 and have a lane to myself and be able to swim daytime but its over an hour a way, maybe they will get some investment in my county soon.
Old 01-07-2012

Mike from NS

Andy,

When they opened this place they closed an older pool which needed upgrades. Most people just wanted to swim and this new facility didn't offer that. Like the one you mention, management wanted to sell memberships for use of the entire facility. I'm not interested in an holistic fitness program, nor do I have time for it. I'm not alone in that. To swim at this new place at a convenient time (as I did the closed out pool) would cost me 5 times as much as I was used to paying at the older pool. Fortunately the management gave in to many complaints and established 2 hour swim times for $3.00. One morning time slot from 8 am to 10am and two evening times from 8 pm to 10 pm in the course of a week. I've become a regular for the morning time. It is quite a nice facility with lots of glass ~ nearly giving the outdoor feel. Swimming yesterday looking at the snow on the trees outside was most pleasant. Parking, hot tub, sauna and the two pools (and sometimes the diving boards) are available for the $3.00 swim. By 10 am it is getting very busy and I'm ready to leave.

Butiki, I think Grant might swim in the BC facility you mention.
Old 01-07-2012

Grant

In ansewer to Mike. Hope your ski season holds out. We are having a very mild winter out here on the wet coast.
I am on Vancouver Island so it has never worked out for me to swim in the Vancouver Olympic pool. However have had the pleasure of swimming at the Sanich Commonwealth Pool in greater Victoria which was built for 1994 Commonwealth Games. In fact the British Columbia Provincial Masters Swim Meet is being held there this year on Mar 31/Apr 1. So will have a very short road trip to play there.
In Canada we have benefited from the legacies of quite a number of Olympic or Commonwealth games build out.