Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2016

johynr]]]
Default balance/spl and pull buoy

I suspect that poor balance is a large factor in my difficulty to maintain my SPL within my green zone.

This being the case, if as a control experiment I use a pull buoy, could I expect to see my SPL improve or is it not as simple as this?
Old 06-12-2016
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Hi John,

Yes.

If a lack of balance is your issue and your hips are low in the water, that puts you in a larger cross section or bigger drag profile - like pulling a parachute. The pull buoy will raise those hips reducing the drag profile. Naturally spl should drop and swimming should feel much easier. But that's issue with pull buoys, swimmers become dependent on artificial buoyancy/balance (wetsuits included) which only mask balance issues that need to be addressed.

Stuart
Old 06-13-2016

Streak

John,
I have a pair of the very light and buoyant alpha fins.
I sometimes wear them but don't kick when wanting to concentrate on arm timing. I found it more natural than squeezing the pull bouy between my legs.

It also allowed me to slowly introduce a small flick with each leg and help with my 2BK timing. The feeling if speed was also great and emphasized the benefit of a good pointed foot kick. I found that the few lengths that I did with them really helped with my balance.

I still do a free 100s with them most sessiona.

This video was before I improved my arm timing but does show these fins in action relaxed no kick first and then with a bit of a kick.

https://youtu.be/G9XtaCp5CeI

Hope this helps.