Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Outside the Box: Open Water Swimming
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2013

caronis
Default Nada News for Diana Nyad???

I'm surprised that nobody has posted anything yet regarding Diana's historic Cuba to Miami Swim that she completed today (on her 5th Try)!
I had posted something months ago that had questioned her dogged and perhaps desperate need to accomplish this.
I'm very glad that she did this and feel she is an awesome example of what one can accomplish as a "Senior Citizen". I believe it will not only be a capstone to an amazing career as a swimmer, but also will give her at least some of the things she was seeking by doing this. She can be a Successful Motivational Speaker if that's her desire.
I want to also say, that I appreciate that she decided from the outset that her 5th Attempt would be her last, regardless of outcome. I think it takes almost as much courage to be prepared to quit, as it is to be dead set on achieving such an amazing goal.
Old 09-02-2013
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

The media and public are celebrating it, but many experienced marathon swimmers are expressing skepticism on Facebook. They say her gps tracking data seems 'fishy.' There are apparently gaps in tracking data as well as periods where she seemed to have been progressing at 3 miles per hour. As she approached the shore, her pace suddenly slowed to 1 mile per hour. Not having examined the tracking data myself, I'm not sure what to think.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 09-03-2013
Head Coach

More updates from the marathon swimming folks on Facebook, where skepticism over the validity of Diana Nyad's swim is growing stronger. Her gps tracking data appears to show:
1) That she traveled 2.78 mph for the first 93 miles of her swim -- faster than Trent Grimsey's record for the 22-mile English Channel crossing. Pretty amazing for a 64 y.o. woman.
2) That between 4pm and 5pm yesterday (Sept 1) she traveled over 15 miles.
3) Current data from SECORA for that area of the Caribbean shows a max current speed of .5 mph -- which would have pushed her to the east. Not aided her in getting to FL over 30 hrs faster than they had projected for the swim.

Curiouser and curiouser.

My TI Story
Old 09-03-2013

swim2Bfree

I agree with Terry's friends. This swim is more than a little fishy.
Old 09-03-2013

jenson1a

If her data doesn't seem reasonable, does that mean her whole team is in on some sort of conspiracy with her or could there be some other explanation?

Just wondering

Sherry

Also, how did all that data get known?

Last edited by jenson1a : 09-03-2013 at 03:18 PM. Reason: further question
Old 09-03-2013

CharlesCouturier

Could simply be GPS failure, would this be the first time that some GPS failed?

I donno. I think it's very important to wait and see. It would be horrible that something that was done the right way be discredited as a result of technology malfunction.
Old 09-03-2013
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesCouturier View Post
Could simply be GPS failure.
Charles without question, it's possible for a GPS to fail. Wouldn't be the first time.
What inquiring minds will still want to have an answer for is how she managed to swim 110 miles in 48 hrs--32 hours fewer than the pre-swim projections released by her team--where the current was just .5 mph and in a direction that would have pushed her off-course?

The lastest to weigh in, Sid Cassidy the head coach of OW swimming for the US Olympic and World Championship teams is saying he strongly believes the swim is a fraud.

What cannot be denied is that it IS a tremendous accomplishment for a 64 y.o. woman to swim for 48 hours. However it would be a tremendous shame for her to claim to have done something that seems quite questionable.

https://www.facebook.com/.../posts/10151858734260928

My TI Story

Last edited by terry : 09-03-2013 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-03-2013

Ron Bear

I have had my Garmin show me going 150 MPH during the swim in a triathlon. The numbers made no sense at all, but the graph made it obvious. The graph showed me mostly on course but occasionally wildy far away from where I had actually been. So I am with CharlesCouturier. She isn't guilty unless guilt is proven.
Old 09-03-2013

Ron Bear

D'oh!
I logged on then went to lunch then replied. I wish I had read the poet that Terry put up before I posted.
Old 09-03-2013

cpa_pfs

Watch based GPS is notoriously unreliable. But with a fleet of boats guiding her surely they were doing so with reliable GPS data and recording it.