Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Coach Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2008

Rhoda
Default Winter blues

"The past two winters I experienced a "swimming malaise," lacking the energy to train or race well... I find lake swimming much more uplifting than swimming indoors in a pool.... Last winter I lacked enthusiasm for going to the pool when in the dark and cold at 6pm for Masters practices. So this year, I'll swim on my own at midday while sunlight brightens the pool."

Sounds a bit like S.A.D.. I know the feeling - as soon as the clocks go off daylight savings time at the end of October, I feel lethargic and lifeless and want to eat everything in sight. My co-workers think I'm nuts for bundling up and going outside at lunch time even when it's -37ēC, but I really need that sunlight or I get to the end of January feeling like a pale puffy fungus growing under a porch somewhere.
This probably wouldn't work for a man, unless he's extremely extroverted, but I always start January with a new swimsuit in the brightest, gaudiest, most tropical colors possible. No tasteful black or navy for me, there's enough of that around outdoors. It gives me an extra incentive to get up early to go swimming.
Old 11-20-2008
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

What I've decided to do this winter is replace swimming with x-c skiing as my prime sport. I'll be spending much of the winter in Lake Placid, where our new Swim Studio will open next week, and where I can expect 100+ days of good skiing conditions.
Besides getting far more sunshine, fresh air and Vitamin D, I'll also be focusing on something for which it will be easy to maintain great enthusiasm. I'll swim enough - maybe three hours per week - to keep my nervous system tuned up, and return my focus to swimming in mid-to-late March to be ready for the start of OW season in late May.
I'll supplement the x-c ski with regular yoga practice. I think both activities are great complements to swimming.
Old 11-20-2008

Rhoda

Great choice - I love cross-country skiing and hope my knees will permit me to get back into it this winter. So far, they're holding up. There's nothing better for actually being able to enjoy winter instead of just enduring it.
Old 11-20-2008

Mike from NS

Rhoda,

Daylight saving time effects me in a similar way. It takes me most of the summer to get that lost hour of sleep back.

But reading your post I thought possibly you should get back into downhill skiing. I hope that car accident you had many years ago has not left your knees still in a weakened state. You can wear loud colours on the ski hill -- heck they are expected. And what's more invigorating that a day out in our cold fresh Canadian winter air on a sunny day. (I just can't wait ...) If need be, a brace might help. More and more are wearing them.

Then I read Terry's comments about XC skiing. But that's lots of work !! Use gravity Rhona and enjoy the journey!

Terry, maybe you will try Olympic course at Whiteface once in a while as a thrilling rest from your XC exercise.

Outdoor winter activities really make the cold months move right along... and in my case colds have become very infrequent. All that fresh air must help.
As you say Rhoda - enjoy winter rather than endure it.

Mike
Old 11-21-2008

Rhoda

Mike, I don't do downhill, haven't since the early 80's. It just isn't for me. I did do a lot of cross-country for years, even entered a few loppets up to 46k in length.
I suppose any outdoor activity would work, as long as there was sunlight falling on the pineal gland.
Old 11-21-2008

RadSwim
Default Winter reds

TI colleagues-
Thanks for reminding me how much I love living in southeast Texas. My major concern is whether or not I should wear my neoprene jammers and shirt or whether I should go for the full wetsuit to swim outside in the frigid cold tomorrow. After all, it is cooling down to the mid 50's!

Skiing? It snowed once here.
Old 11-21-2008

Mike from NS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadSwim View Post
.... frigid cold tomorrow.....the mid 50's!
RadSwim, mid 50's is considered really warm up here - almost beach weather!

Come north are experience streamlined gliding while standing on the "water"! Breathing is really easy. Though I enjoy the thrill of downhill, there is nothing more peaceful than some XC skiing (in set tracks-through a wooded area)after a fresh snow fall. I think this is possibly what Rhoda and Terry enjoy - along with a great work out. 46 K Rhoda !? Wow! Well done !
Mike
Old 11-21-2008
Coach

CoachBrian
Default Standing sideways

I hope to have the time this winter to return to my old habit of back country snowboarding. Snow-shoe up, ride down. Great workout, and a great time!

Remember, skiing was invented for transportation. Snowboarding was invented for fun.

I did spend one season tele-skiing. I much preferred that to alpine skiing. The equipment was lighter and more comfortable, and the sensation of speed was much greater being 3 1/2 feet off the snow, rather than 6 feet.
Old 11-22-2008
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation
Default No more Winter Blues

Mike
I may do a bit of downhill as I'll have the luxury of being on the snow so many more days this winter. Most likely if I leave the nordic ctr at Mt Van Hoevenburg for Whiteface, it'll be to take some beginner lessons in snowboard. Never been on one.

I've only done skate-skiing for the past six or so years and I'd like to return to classic, which was the original style I'd done. I was just mastering kick-and-glide when I threw it over for skating.

As for no more Winter Blues, I've enjoyed my three pool swims nearly beyond description. It is nice to swim mid-day with sunlight flooding the pool, but the most important thing has been swimming with clear purpose on literally every stroke -- which I've described in blogs for each swim. I love doing my own thing rather than having to fit myself into the program at Masters.
Old 11-22-2008
Coach

CoachBrian

Terry,

A word of advice/caution aobut beginning snowboarding: the first 3 days are generally brutal. You might be sore and bruised, particularly if the snow is hard. After 3 days, most people start catching on and start having fun!

I never really enjoyed masters either, until I started coaching my own, and swimming the practice with them. Now they all have to fit into what I want to do...