Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Butterfly
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2009

mailtonataraj
Default Stream Lining - A bit longer makes the legs to sink

I am practicing the Butterfly using the TI technique. following are my problems i encounter from my end. any help in this regard will be very helpful

1) While performing the butterfly kick and then gliding, i always find that am way below the surface of water and then when i try to hold water and use the core muscles, my shoulders life our of water little and hence i am not finding enough momentum to press the shoulders and perform a pulse

2) While holding water and using the core muscles, i feel a twich in the right side of the core muscles

3) While gliding/stearmlining if a leave it a bit longer, my legs sink and hence getting my shoulders out during the fly becomes difficult.

Any thoughts on this?
Old 02-23-2009

Rhoda

When you press your chest down in the water, your legs will whip down initially. This is the dolphin kick. As you release the pressure, the legs drift back upwards and you become horizontal. At the end of the release, your chest bobs up to the surface and that's where the "catch" and breath would take place in the full stroke. The idea isn't to be completely flat throughout, but to go over a shallow rollercoaster in the water. Could it be you are trying to streamline a little too long? Or are releasing the pressure on the chest too soon?
Old 02-24-2009

bkjagadish

...i think you have to ' consciously aim to move forward [/b]' instead of ' going downward '...
Old 02-24-2009

mailtonataraj

Rhoda. thanks for the response. While i try to press the chest a bit i end up having the dolphin motion. But at the same time chest goes deep and gets whole lot of time for the chest to bob near the surface. By that time chest bobs up, the body is no more streamlined but at an angle. !!
Old 02-24-2009

Jamwhite

You might try focusing on keeping your forearms close to the surface. If you practice the dolphin dive drill, try to dive so that you go forward with high forearms.

If that is not helping, try doing a length with leg buoys so that you can focus on your grip, it will displace you legs a little, but should allow you to focus on just your arms. Move your arms around with your chest sunk until you find a solid anchor position where you hold the water, then move your core forward with your anchor.

Remember to focus on being flat in the water. Your chest should sink as part of the recovery, but essentially your body is flat with only your chest and hips doing a wave-like motion. Because this is short axis, when your chest is low, your hips are high. When you kick your dolpin and lower your hips, it should raise your chest
Old 02-26-2009

mailtonataraj

I think i found the solution to overcome the twitch in the right abs, i suppose i was trying to kick a bit hard and when i do the kick softly, the pain was not there. Also when the dive was not clean with arms parallel to the surface i was experiencing pain, whereas when the dive was good and hand piercing the water cleanly there wasnt any pain. anyway thans a lot for the replies.