Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2011

roates
Default SPL in what Time?

Think this should come under a new topic.

Originally Posted by Richardsk View Post

There's enough challenge in swimming to keep me happy. Today's 8x25m at 16 SPL followed by 8x25m at 17 SPL was very pleasing, even though I noted several flaws that needed work. When I started swimming freestyle I was doing about 30 SPL.

Impressive SPLs Richard,
any idea what the the time was for each 25s.
I get consistent 18SPL, trying to go less I end up adding pauses so have simply stopped getting hung up over SPL now, feel its more important to be fluid.
Counting SPL when you are a learner/beginner is good because it makes you think about being economical and lengthening the stroke. I count occassionally now I'm very relaxed out about them and don't get stressed out.

My 25s are in the 30/35sec range. Would love to be that little bit faster, below 30sec, but think body type, weight and age are against me. Will keep trying.

What does anyone else feel about this?
Roger
Old 02-22-2011

Alex-SG

Hi Roger,

Well... as you know TI is not just about SPL (Strokes per Length). The other parameter is SR (Stroke Rate).
How fast you swim a 25m lap depends on these two.

I used to swim at SPL=15 but SR=2.0sec. SPL might have been impressive but the SR was way too slow (1 stroke, or hand entry every 2 seconds). When you swim that slowly your stroke is not fluid, your recovery arm tends to pause which creates a few problems:
a. Balance
b. Irregular speed (accelerate, stop, accelerate again)
c. Out of breath feeling since too much time between each breath

I am now working with a Tempo Trainer, forcing myself to swim at SR=1.3-1.5
The SPL may be 17-18 but when you do the math I am faster

ALEX
Old 02-22-2011

Alex-SG

Forgot to mention, there is a 3rd element which varies from swimmer to swimmer. Your SPL=15 may be equivalent to someone else's SPL=13.

Some people push off very strongly of each wall. Being an Open Water Swimmer I try not to. ALEX
Old 02-22-2011
Banned

Lawrence

Alex, how is the sea in Dubai for swimming in?
Old 02-22-2011

Alex-SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Alex, how is the sea in Dubai for swimming in?
Hi Lawrence,
Quite nice to be honest. Water temperature stays warm even now (winter). Usually sea surface is flat and little to no current.

These days we look forward to the upcoming Open Water event called Mina Mile

ALEX
Old 02-22-2011
Banned

Lawrence

Sounds perfect - just like an infinite pool!
Old 02-22-2011

Richardsk

Hi Roger

These were around the 40 sec per 25m length so probably if I'd had my Tempo trainer on it would have been about 2:00 or maybe a bit slower. My more normal SPL is between 18 and 22 and can go as high as 26 if I'm trying to swim faster. I try to use the beginning of each length as a Superman Glide practice and the first stroke as a transition from SG to skate. I use this as a sort of excuse for neglecting the drills, which are difficult to slot into lane swimming in a public session. When the pool thins out at the end of the session I often do some drills, but these days mostly backstroke drills. Today I tried some one-arm backstroke and some alternating right-arm - left-arm -both arms as in the Ryan Lochte drill video on youtube. Not much resemblance to Ryan Lochte, I'm afraid, but probably most of us could say that.

On a good day I can do a 33 second length in 18 strokes with a push-off glide of about five or six meters. I usually do the Tempo Trainer sets at the weekend and am trying to work my way down to 1:00 and faster, while also working up towards 2:00 and trying to eliminate pauses, wobbles, over-rotation and all the other funny little things that happen when I swim slower than my usual slow pace. Strange how one catches oneself forgetting to exhale, tensing the muscles at the back of the neck, crossing the center line with the left arm ( I normally breathe to the left), kicking from the knee rather than the hip and so on.
Old 02-22-2011
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Richard
One benefit of swimming at very slow tempos is the opportunity to sense what happens between beeps and make exploratory tweaks.

Roger. Have you seen the threads on Swimming Golf? That links speed and SPL into a single value. Simplest way to evaluate the effectiveness of one SPL and effort level vs. another.

Tempo Trainer brings mathematical precision - and a more direct neural stimulus to this exercise.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 02-22-2011

RadSwim

I am currently swimming in the 23 - 29 sec range for 25 yd, consistently holding 14 SPL.

My current focal points are:
1) making sure that my left scapula is adducted during recovery (to prevent left shoulder pain during recovery that has been a unwelcome, recurrent problem for the past 2 months);
2) right recovery in one fluid motion, trying to eliminate the "TI pause" that is hardwired into my stroke, put there by a well-intentioned but misguided TI coach (PL) 6 years ago.

Until 2 weeks ago, I was working on my stroke rate with the TT set at 1.3 - 1.4 and counting 18 beeps per length which puts me in the 23 -25 sec per 25 yd range at 14 - 15 SPL. My plan was to work toward TT 1.0, hoping to stabilize on a stroke rate of 1.2.

However, once I worked out why my left shoulder was bothering me, I put the TT away and have re-focused on scapular stabilization.
Old 02-22-2011

Richardsk

Hi RadSwim

I'm a bit hazy about what happens when you adduct your scapula. Does that mean you squeeze your two shoulder blades together or just move the shoulder blade on the pulling arm in towards the spine?