Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Outside the Box: Open Water Swimming
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2010

naj
Default Calm in the chaos

I am starting to notice something about my stroke and my speed in ope water especially when the water gets choppy. As some of you may or may not know (Coach Eric knows for sure) in the S.F. Bay - particularly in the evening - the winds really whip up and the water gets very choppy.

A year ago I would not have been able to handle this because I wasn't as confident in my stroke. But now having taken the advance TI workshop and finding the right tools to get things going I have found that when it is very bumpy and your facing 2-3 ft waves I find that as I relax more, keep my head spine alignment, and fully extend I not only hold the water more but seem to go faster. This is reflected in the "Outside The Box" DVD about being low in the water.

Now I know that this is what I am suppose to do all the time, but one's instincts dictate that we try to turn our stroke over faster and kick harder to get through the chop, but I find that slowing everything down and being extremely mindful has really been of great importance. I'd love to hear what others who have ow experience and even the newbies have to say.

Keep Swimming!
Naji
Old 06-21-2010

Ken B
Default Yes!

My experience exactly Naj. I enjoy the feeling of a very relaxed forearm conforming to the waves without appearing to hinder me. I'm always amazed that I can still breath easily. The one situation I haven't worked out how to deal with comfortably is when swimming downwind with the waves overtaking me and filling my breathing space and tipping me off balance. Wind against tide is worst because the standing waves are short and when my feet lift in a catching wave my face is driven into the wave in front. It's hard to maintain good form when that happens which only makes it worse. I would welcome any suggestions to help.

Ken
Old 06-24-2010

rajsenthil

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
A year ago I would not have been able to handle this because I wasn't as confident in my stroke. But now having taken the advance TI workshop and finding the right tools to get things going I have found that when it is very bumpy and your facing 2-3 ft waves I find that as I relax more, keep my head spine alignment, and fully extend I not only hold the water more but seem to go faster. This is reflected in the "Outside The Box" DVD about being low in the water.
Keep Swimming!
Naji
Thanks Naji, I should keep remembering your post when I swim next time.
Old 06-25-2010

wmeg

I also had a similar experience recently when the place where I was swimming got windy for some days and the chop was quartered to the direction I was swimming. I had just read a post about aqua rage so I was mindful of staying very relaxed. So focusing on stroke techniques I was able to avoid fighting against the chop and moved through it well. Sure I got whacked every now and then but It was good and very instructive couple of swims.