Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2017

Rajan
Default My Video on Hand Entry

Hi!

I have made a video of myself concentrating on hand entry through my newly purchased SJCAM 4000. Is this entry correct now ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-ug...ature=youtu.be

Secondly could someone suggest an option please to hang this cam on sidewalls of the swimming pool. If somebody can provide my the link, I can purchase that suction cup.

Regards

Rajan
Old 08-04-2017

sojomojo has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajan View Post
Secondly could someone suggest an option please to hang this cam on sidewalls of the swimming pool. If somebody can provide my the link, I can purchase that suction cup.
I’ve got the Delkin “Fat Gecko Mini Camera and Camcorder Mount”

https://www.amazon.com/Gecko-Mini-Ca...eywords=delkin

If you’re looking for something smaller (I think the suction cup is the same size) and cheaper, there’s this option:

https://www.amazon.com/Delkin-Fat-Ge...eywords=delkin
Old 08-04-2017
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Thanks for those links to camera mounts sojomojo - I'm gonna pick those up too.

Rajan: Nice recovery, head spine in good alignment - but your hips are low since I don't see them pop or crown surface on each stroke. Although the shape of the recovery looks good, it's a bit forced and mechanical. The high elbow focus and steering entry often leads to a stunted recovery, which is happening with both arms at exit. You're lifting recovery arm too early with an arm/elbow bent at 90 degs. This is human pattern of movement since we swing our arms fore and aft as we walk and run, I also call this the "runners elbow". This stunting of recovery arm is keeping hips low, losing valuable recovery arm momentum, and elbow stops leading about mid recovery. See frames at 0:27 in your video, right side recovery lifting early from shoulder, arm bend at 90 degs.

Concentrate more on the release at exit and not so much the entry to maintain balance and momentum. A focus or visual I use frequently with swimmer's that have the "runner's elbow" is extend arm releasing hand (way) past the hip and allow recovery arm to pop out of the water and swing away from the body naturally under its own momentum; don't not lift arm/elbow early from the shoulder. Allow the shape of the recovery arm to happen naturally and this will allow you to lead with elbow from exit to a "slice in" entry.

Stuart
Old 08-05-2017

Rajan

Thanks for referring me the links. Can these suction cups be fit on the sidewalls also ? After seeing it, I am guessing that it can be fixed on floors only. I have no idea.

I could not search any video on youtube showing how to fix suction cups on the side walls of a swimming pool. Can you provide such link demonstrating this?

Regards

Rajan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojomojo View Post
I’ve got the Delkin “Fat Gecko Mini Camera and Camcorder Mount”

https://www.amazon.com/Gecko-Mini-Ca...eywords=delkin

If you’re looking for something smaller (I think the suction cup is the same size) and cheaper, there’s this option:

https://www.amazon.com/Delkin-Fat-Ge...eywords=delkin

Last edited by Rajan : 08-05-2017 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-05-2017

Rajan

Thanks Coach Stuart. Are you suggesting that arms should be completely stretched before the exit because you said that I lifted my arms in the video too early with an elbow bent at 90 degree ?

I was focussing on hand entry because my forearm used to be flat at the time of entry.

Regards

Rajan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStuartMcDougal View Post
Thanks for those links to camera mounts sojomojo - I'm gonna pick those up too.

Rajan: Nice recovery, head spine in good alignment - but your hips are low since I don't see them pop or crown surface on each stroke. Although the shape of the recovery looks good, it's a bit forced and mechanical. The high elbow focus and steering entry often leads to a stunted recovery, which is happening with both arms at exit. You're lifting recovery arm too early with an arm/elbow bent at 90 degs. This is human pattern of movement since we swing our arms fore and aft as we walk and run, I also call this the "runners elbow". This stunting of recovery arm is keeping hips low, losing valuable recovery arm momentum, and elbow stops leading about mid recovery. See frames at 0:27 in your video, right side recovery lifting early from shoulder, arm bend at 90 degs.

Concentrate more on the release at exit and not so much the entry to maintain balance and momentum. A focus or visual I use frequently with swimmer's that have the "runner's elbow" is extend arm releasing hand (way) past the hip and allow recovery arm to pop out of the water and swing away from the body naturally under its own momentum; don't not lift arm/elbow early from the shoulder. Allow the shape of the recovery arm to happen naturally and this will allow you to lead with elbow from exit to a "slice in" entry.

Stuart

Last edited by Rajan : 08-05-2017 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-05-2017

sojomojo has disabled reputation

Quote:
Thanks for referring me the links. Can these suction cups be fit on the sidewalls also ? After seeing it, I am guessing that it can be fixed on floors only. I have no idea.

I could not search any video on youtube showing how to fix suction cups on the side walls of a swimming pool. Can you provide such link demonstrating this?

Regards

Rajan
If you search YouTube for “Delkin Fat Gecko”, you will find numerous user reviews on how to mount and use it. This is an example of one video: https://youtu.be/8P2ZPPaIvHM

I could not find a video that shows the Delkin Fat Gecko being used in a swimming pool, but if your sidewall is FLAT and SMOOTH, it will work. People attach them to the side of cars, on jet-skis, on kayaks, etc. so the sidewall of a pool should not be a problem if it's FLAT and SMOOTH. If your pool sidewall is tiled, it won't work unless the tiles are larger than the suction mount.

You have to use your imagination and try different placement locations in the pool to find the best angle to capture your swimming. Sometimes it can be from the pool deck; sometimes from the sidewall; sometimes from the bottom of the pool.
Old 08-05-2017
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Quote:
Thanks Coach Stuart. Are you suggesting that arms should be completely stretched before the exit because you said that I lifted my arms in the video too early with an elbow bent at 90 degree ?

I was focussing on hand entry because my forearm used to be flat at the time of entry.

Regards

Rajan
Hi Rajan,

In short, yes. But I wouldn't use "completely stretched" arm at exit, as that implies tension. Instead, extend arm releasing soft hand past the hip. If you exit correctly releasing an extended arm, recovery arm will naturally swing away from body and the hand entry, or "mail slot" will happen more consequentially.

It is good to rehearse or focus only on the "mail slot" entry provided you're not stunting recovery lifting elbow early. Try releasing extended recovery arm correctly and discover how the recovery hand/wrist/arm finds slide through the "mail slot" without intentionally steering it to entry.

Stu
Old 08-05-2017

Streak

Rajan,
If you take a look at my various videos, I just attached the camera (GoPro) to the base it came with and then weighted the base with fishing sinkers.
I then placed the camera on the floor of the pool and positioned it to capture my stroke from various angles.
Good job on your progression.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79Yp_lgN4mQ
Old 08-06-2017

daveblt

Coach Stuart ,
This advice which comes from california swim techniques site seems a little different. It says :

{"Only work the front of the stroke.Give up the back of the stroke , that is don't let your under water hand travel to your thigh. There is no power back there. When your shoulder passes your underwater hand it is time to recycle that arm and send your energy forward again. Be a front quadrant swimmer,that's where the power is, out front, where you can turn your hips in to the catch.Only work the front of your stroke and you will be longer, straighter, better balanced with a shorter faster easier recovery .There is no need for the l- o- n -g trip back to your thigh.It's takes too long ,your hand can get stuck there and throws the timing off . recycle sooner as your shoulder passes your hand at the catch. An armful of water is better than a handful of water in every stroke .A handful of water is what you have when you work the back of the stroke .It is close to useless .You are sending energy in the wrong direction when you work the back of your stroke."}

Also in this previous thread I mentioned to you that I gave up extending toward the thigh on recovery because of previous advice
http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/...ead.php?t=8868

Let me know your thoughts on this .
Thanks

Dave

Last edited by daveblt : 08-06-2017 at 02:04 AM.
Old 08-06-2017

WFEGb

Hello Dave,

think Stuart will put in some detailed facts and words of (TI-)wisdom. Only in shortness:

If you'll really swim your underwater-stroke only till elbow and arm reaches the shoulder you're missing the part where rotation will help to a better lever for easier holding the water. OK, you're swimming in a 100%-"doubled"FQ, but you'll need extreme stable shoulder joints that won't get damaged in (short) time...

So in the part of push California Swim Technique will miss, its easier to hold the whater and add a little pressure backwards than doing all (uncomfortable) work in front. And the very last part when elbow is at hip (approximately), and your lower arm flips thumb to thigh with palm back and upwards in the very last moment should be seen as part of the recovery helping you to a leading elbow...

Best regards,
Werner

PS: If I do remember right, there is a video (ZT might find it) where Suzanne teaches a drill to just integrate the part of the stroke CST will miss...