Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2016
marcinr

Default New to TI - your feedback appreciated

Hi guys,
I'm completely new to TI. However, I'm fascinated by it and would like to learn as much as I can. Planning to do workshops but so far watched some videos + downloaded and watched/practiced Ultra Efficient Freestyle Guide. My pace is slow about 2.30min / 100m. Please take a look at my video. Any input is highly appreciated.

https://youtu.be/hJdFqukyG5E

thanks
Marcin
Old 11-30-2016

sojomojo has disabled reputation

Your YouTube video is set as "private" so we're unable to view.
Old 12-01-2016
marcinr

Yes, you're right. It should be fine now.
Old 12-01-2016

Zenturtle

You have a pretty good starting point regarding general timing of arms and legs, body roll breathing etc.
what stands out most as a thing to work on

- legs wide apart when breathing
- foot not streamlined at this moment. tension causes the foot to curl up.
keep the legs more in line with the body, point the toes.
make your breathing action a touch faster. now its holding up your stroke.
- focus on getting the shoulder and elbow forward before the hand until just past the shoulder.
- Extend the body and arm a bit more after arm entry. Feel what your lower part is doing.
Your underwaterpart has to feel stable and streanlined when you recover the other arm.
- Change your speed a bit for short lengths to burn in and better feel if your current stroke basics hold under more load.
if you just feel the load change with more resistance its good. if your stroke feels totally different something is going wrong.

These are things that also can become better by just swimming more, but the legs splaying when breathing is a big one that tends to settle deep into your swim mechanism, so its best to fix this right from the start.
Good you start with swimming so slow and concentrated.
Your second lap starts to show a nice roll rhythm.

Last edited by Zenturtle : 12-01-2016 at 06:22 AM.
Old 12-01-2016

WFEGb

Hello marcinr,

welcome in the forum!

You're swimming really integrates TI-maximes: No splashing and nearly self-evident breathing! Great.

Just three additions to Zenturtle's nail-head-hitting analyse:

To me it looks like your'e having a desk-profession. Have a tight focus in your straight spine-leg-alingnment. (Most of that will be adjusted with ZT's hints...)

Focus in your entrancepoint to spear. Your letterbox-slit and your spear should be "on a rigid rail" in shoulder width. Never let your hands cross your body's midline. (It's best seen when you're going to breathe.)

You wrote you're new in TI. So just now it's the best time to adjust the symmetry of your strokes. Breathing to both sides will definetely help althoug it will feel strange first time.

Keep on your good work.

Best regards,
Werner
Old 12-01-2016

bx

This is another of those videos where I think surely this person is not new to swimming?!

Are you new to swimming, or just new to TI?

To swim like that with such coordinated recovery, quiet legs, rather good balance, and low breathing is incredible for a beginner.
Old 12-01-2016
marcinr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bx View Post
This is another of those videos where I think surely this person is not new to swimming?!

Are you new to swimming, or just new to TI?

To swim like that with such coordinated recovery, quiet legs, rather good balance, and low breathing is incredible for a beginner.
I'm not new to swimming but I wouldn't say I paid any attention to what I was doing until a few months back when finally decided to start going to the pool on a consistent basis. Back then I wasn't able to swim freestyle even two lengths of the pool. But started browsing some videos and somehow TI caught my eye. It's beautiful :) That's how I want to swim one day. Started to incorporate some basics, worked mostly on my breathing and here I'm today. I can definitely tell it looks kind of awkward but I can swim 1500 meters without any problem as long as I keep my slow pace :) It's a huge step that gets me motivated even more.
Old 12-01-2016
marcinr

Guys,
Thanks for your feedback. It means a lot to me. Gonna be working on this step by step starting tonight.

thanks
Marcin
Old 12-01-2016

Zenturtle

Had another look and indeed your entry goes too much toward the centerline (esp right arm) and sweeps out again pushing you sideways after that to go to catch position like Werner said. Its also entering early close to the head buldozering throught he water, but thats TI thing and thats what you want, so go ahead.
The entering toward the midline is a thing thats thats very common , but not so hard to solve.
Plenty of other litle things, but focussing on riding those wide tracks with a streamlined body in between will keep you busy for a while.

Last edited by Zenturtle : 12-01-2016 at 03:18 PM.
Old 12-02-2016
Coach

CoachBobM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcinr View Post
Hi guys,
I'm completely new to TI. However, I'm fascinated by it and would like to learn as much as I can. Planning to do workshops but so far watched some videos + downloaded and watched/practiced Ultra Efficient Freestyle Guide. My pace is slow about 2.30min / 100m. Please take a look at my video. Any input is highly appreciated.

https://youtu.be/hJdFqukyG5E

thanks
Marcin
Others have given you some good comments, but I'll add a few.
Many aspects of your stroke look good. You are doing a good job at keeping your head-spine line horizontal most of the time, you have good extension, you are successfully doing a 2-beat kick, and you are maintaining front quadrant timing most of the time. But there are a few things you can improve:

1) I'd suggest kicking off in a tighter streamline (hand over hand, wrist over wrist, press your arms against the back of your ears). If you are planning on doing any kind of racing, it is useful to deeply engrain this position, since it is important for starts and turns in a pool race, and it is also good to begin an open water race by doing a dolphin dive into this position. It also helps to give you a feeling of how fast you can travel in the water without doing anything, just by minimizing drag.

2) Your stroke is slightly lopsided, which is undoubtedly the result of breathing on only one side. You might want to experiment with breathing every 3rd stroke instead of every 4th stroke to even out these asymmetries.

3) You could benefit from leading with your elbows a bit longer on your recoveries, particularly when you're recovering with your left arm. It might help to have someone walk along beside you and assist you in bringing your elbows farther forward (as shown in some of the TI videos).

4) You're rotating your body a bit too far when you're taking a breath, and this excessive rotation is carrying over into your non-breathing strokes on that same side. This has a number of effects on other aspects of your stroke:

(a) Your kick is widening to help you roll more, which increases drag. Your left foot also momentarily bends up at a right angle at one point, which acts like a brake.

(b) Your right arm is spearing toward the center as a consequence of the excessive roll, though you straighten the arm afterward.

5) Your head is coming up slightly when you breathe. I'm seeing both of your eyes above the water, whereas you should be able to breathe with one goggle underwater. Note that this head lift doesn't really help you to breathe, since you can't breathe through your eyes! Lowering the top of your head can actually make it easier to breathe through your mouth. It may help to rehearse your breathing by standing in the shallow end of the pool, bending forward at the waist and extending your arm, and then seeing how little you can turn your head and still get a breath. (You can also use this to rehearse breathing on your unfamiliar side.)

6) You are starting your stroke early when you are breathing, I gather because you are using your stroke to help lift your head. Your stroke is so early when you're breathing that you have a windmill timing rather than a front quadrant timing!

Bob