Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2016

wmeg
Default Green Zone Hell

After 3 months of ocean swimming I am, due to circumstances, back to the pool.
So it is counting strokes TT etc and I find that I am 2 stokes out of the Green zone.
Back to drills but cant get into the Green zone except for occasionally hitting the back end of it.
The last TI coach I went to, said not to worry about it but I see people flailing about in the pool only taking a couple of strokes more than I do.
Maybe someone has a different take on this.

Thanks Warren
Old 02-21-2016

Danny

I am not an ocean swimmer but I have done it enough to know that it is a very different game from pool swimming. So the first thing to think about is what are your goals in pool swimming? Are you only in it for the short term or are you going to be doing it for the long haul? It is quite possible to develop different goals for ocean swimming as opposed to pool swimming, although the experts here (and I am not one) might disagree with me on this. Each of these activities informs the other, but they each pose different challenges. If you want to reduce your stroke count, the first thing to do is to slow down. How much depends on your technique, but you have to learn to glide. Ultimately, a good swimmer doesn't glide too much, because you lose speed when you do it, but you need to be able to glide before you can reduce your stroke count. Drills such as superman glide and skating are all useful, but you want to be able to integrate these gliding skills in with a freestyle recovery, and full stroke is probably needed for that. One last drill that is worth working on is catch-up, where you get your recovering arm fully extended in front before starting the stroke on the other side. Again, this is only a drill, but it will help your gliding skills.

One last suggestion: if you can post video of your stroke, like a lot of people here do, you will probably get tons of advice.

Last edited by Danny : 02-21-2016 at 11:08 PM.
Old 02-22-2016

wmeg

Thanks for your reply, I am working on the drills. Slowing down, the SPL goes up not down.
I realised something while swimming this morning, which is, that I have always been above the Green Zone count and it is reasonable consistent.
So, as long as it is the same number I can work with that and not feel a sense of failure with each swim.