Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2015

machelett

Okay, I downloaded it. Terry, thank you for the opportunity to review the book!
I appreciate the trust that you put in strangers by making the pre-release available. Two big thumbs up!
Old 01-24-2015

bx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janos View Post
I tried text and email from the UK, have not had a reply to either.
Any luck yet? I'm UK too, and got a reply to the email after a few hours. Probably being done manually.
Old 01-24-2015

Harling007
Default thank you!

Thank you! I have downloaded the PDF here in UK using the email method. Thank you so much.
Old 01-24-2015

Grant

Downloaded on MS computer the pdf file and worked well here in Canada.
Can't seem to get the download on my iPad. Not a bigy. Thanks for the early look Terry. Have read about 3/4 of it and I think it is a very valuable tool for all who take an interest in swimming.
Old 01-24-2015

Janos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bx View Post
Any luck yet? I'm UK too, and got a reply to the email after a few hours. Probably being done manually.
Got it now BX. Thanks...and thanks to TI too.
Old 01-24-2015

Harling007
Default Typos

Hi

Loving the book. I have already found a number of useful ideas in it.

You asked for any typos - in my PDF on page 105 there are some indecipherable words at the three bullet points at the top of the page. Not sure if it is in the original or just in my download.

Thank you again. Really enjoying it.

Richard
Old 01-24-2015

machelett

I don't know why it always rubs me the wrong way when someone calls dolphins "fish" but it does.

In the introduction, there's this sentence: "We describe this innovative technique as ‘Fishlike’ because part of our design inspiration came from studying how dolphins move through the water and adapting that to human anatomy."

I know that technically you're not calling dolphins fish but I still don't like it and would prefer to see it phrased differently.
Old 01-25-2015

sclim

Quote:
Originally Posted by machelett View Post
I don't know why it always rubs me the wrong way when someone calls dolphins "fish" but it does.

In the introduction, there's this sentence: "We describe this innovative technique as ‘Fishlike’ because part of our design inspiration came from studying how dolphins move through the water and adapting that to human anatomy."

I know that technically you're not calling dolphins fish but I still don't like it and would prefer to see it phrased differently.
Haha -- another person with my reading sensibilities. I've been called pedantic and worse... but I have to agree with machelett. The test is this: If it rubs the wrong way, then it's inelegant. And elegance, ideally, should be what TI is all about.
Old 01-25-2015

bx

How would Terry prefer to receive feedback and typos? On the forum or via email etc?
Old 01-25-2015

sclim

Terry: I just devoured 2/3 of the book last night, staying up really late, despite really needing sleep to meet friends for a 7:30 16k run this am!!

The book is a pleasure to read, coherently put together, making intellectual sense and connecting emotionally, too. It reinforced everything I remembered from the bits and pieces of the available TI books and videos that I could get hold of up to now. Plus it seems that there is more thoughtful and thorough treatment of the propulsive aspect that I don't seem to remember finding before. Perhaps I wasn't paying attention or wasn't reading everything that you had out there. Whatever the case, I feel there is more than adequate rebuttal to anyone who claims that TI doesn't address propulsion aspects adequately. And I know that we followers of this forum are mostly TI converts already, but the priority as stated in the book is, as always in TI, first balance, then streamline then propulsion, as it should be.

One emotional connection that really resonated was your interaction with Marilyn Bell. She is indeed a Canadian icon, and the story of your restoration of the joy of swimming 60 years later to a heroine in the history of my adopted country brought a lump to my throat and tears to my eyes.

A personally interesting photo for me appeared on the first page of Chapter 1. I have always been struck by how low I float under the water surface due to high density (from video that was shot of me), and I have always ascribed my difficulties breathing and slowness to this unavoidable fact. Your swimmer in this photo swims almost as low under the surface as I usually swim, and he doesn't look in any trouble at all. If your photo model can do ok despite high density, then my alibi is gone; I just have to get back to the book again, and figure out what drill I have to work on next!

I have compiled a list of inconsequential typos that I would like to submit to you or your editor, but I don't think this is the place to regurgitate it. Please direct me to where I should post it.

Last edited by sclim : 01-25-2015 at 08:26 PM.