FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2013

swimust
Default catch fixed - video evidence

lose shoulders. comments welcomed http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc3DDgLeo0U
Old 05-17-2013

timmct

Wow. Just. Wow.

I'm not a TI expert by any stretch of the imagination. But. Wow. Even I can see a drastic improvement since your last video.

Your stroke looks much more relaxed and balanced, especially since losing the dramatic wrist 'snap'. It would be interesting to see side views for a better overall perspective.

Have your recent changes resulted in an improvement in your level of effort, SPL, or breathing as well?

Congratulations Swimust! Your progress is an inspiration for many of us here.
Old 05-18-2013

daveblt

Looking much better !

Dave
Old 05-18-2013

swimust

right.. Kyle after 17 seconds. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahtRVJYTIEQ#t=16s
Deltoid position and pull at the start of the arm acceleration (when other elbow gets in water).
Thats why my right arm flies all over the place. Not aware of how exactly to use the shoulder in that moment. Shinji clearly said to engage the shoulder in this moment. Its not invented by my donkey head. I was using the deltoid correctly on left side and very wrong on right side. When breathing on right side, I was also doing it ok by accident.
something to work with tomorrow at the pool.
The donkey is back on the horse! :)
who's quitting? ;)
simple solutions

P.S. - I am telling you. I am learning from Kyle more than from Shinji and his smooth swim! :) :)
Kyle works on what matters and shows the focal points raw. Shinji may lose money because of this clip... ;)

Last edited by swimust : 05-18-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-18-2013

swimust

god! that's it. my missing link. wrong use of the shoulder at the start of the acceleration phase. I knew its not that easy and not as simple as a donkey error. A complicated error in my opinion.
It effects of course the whole stroke, the snap, and the recovery !!

I am happy again! :)

Thank you Kyle !!!
(you almost cant see what Shinji is doing with his shoulder at that moment. As if he hides his intentions! deceiving)

P.S. - Just one more explanation:
I was trying in the past to position the deltoid in same way, but I was doing it too late when the arm gets besides the top of the torso. That's too late. The positioning should be done earlier when other arm elbow gets in water just like Kyle does!
I am telling you. This insight fixes my stroke, my snap, my recovery! All three at once!
The missing link.

Last edited by swimust : 05-18-2013 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-18-2013

cs10

P.S. - I could make another big drama but whats the point? Attend 3 days with the Shinji or Terry coaches and sort out your swim ;)
Don't do what I did (self learning by guessing and trying). Its crazy... or maybe not?.. I have no answer.
Getting melancholic now... maybe its the mental fatigue after achieving the goal. I couldn't effort mental weakness until now :)[/quote]

It would be wonderful to have a personal coach on hand all the time but there is a lot to be said for putting in the mental effort to learn yourself. You really appreciate every small gain then. Probably the best compromise would be occasional coaching at just the right time. The right time is when you have the exact question in your mind and have put in enough effort to have the skill to do as the coach advises. If you are learning guitar and are struggling to get the right fingers to move it is hardly worth hiring a master musician to help you yet. You are at the right stage now, and have put in the mental and physical effort, that with even a brief coaching you would go ahead leaps and bounds.

The part of Shinji's swim that you are really after could be described as "The Internal Martial Art Of Swimming" and is something you will have to develop yourself, though coaches could give you helpful clues. The power moves of nature are often spiralling and wave form movements. Shinji's torso twist is like a gently starting spiralling movement that amplifies as it goes through his body and ends up producing a long fast powerful glide. I believe his kick works on the same principle as the swimmers trick of flicking with a towel. A powerful guy won't hurt you if he slaps you with a towel full strength but a small girl can sting you if she starts at her centre and lets the movement amplify through her arm ending in a well timed wrist flick.
If you "simply " Let The Glide Be Your Guide ,(it even rhymes - although I don't know it I must be a poet) it can be a fun learning experiment instead of mental torture. If you are doing it right you will have a powerful glide , If you don't ; experiment some more. When you watch a Shinji video try to feel what he is feeling in his body then try to duplicate the feeling in the pool rather than mentally calculating something of which the important part can't be seen.

Charles was spot on about balance. Your glide will tell you. An unbalanced body won't glide well. Any streamline or balance faults will show up as reduced glide and can't be overcome by simply more power.

That way when you get it , you will be swimming the Swimust style ( with a Shinji based technique) perfectly suiting your own body type and movement patterns. You understand the basis of Shinji's timing and movements but this is only a frozen snapshot of a complex dynamic process. It's very hard to copy someone else's internal movements.

The irony is that the donkey (the horses closest relation)and other prey animals are bred by nature to be masters at reading the internal movements of predators (such as humans ) for their survival. If you watch a master natural horseman such as Pat Parelli , the horse reacts perfectly to the slightest internal movement in his centre long before the external movement at his hand or leg is visible. It appears it is reading his mind.

Maybe being a donkey is not such a bad thing. Donkeys have been given an unfair reputation as being dumb because they refuse to work when there is something else they would rather be doing. The species that gave them the reputation is the only species on the planet that spends most of their waking hours working.

The term "perpetual motion freestyle" is an aim rather than an actual reachable fact. Think of putting in a slight effort at the right time ,aided by momentum and using your tendons with a slight help from your muscles. This is what Shinji's underwater finish is doing and he converts the backward motion to the up and forward motion of the recovery with bare minimal muscular effort . I think you may have gone a bit overboard with this in your first videos and you didn't convert the energy to forward movement. On the positive side your arm couldn't move like that if your shoulders were tense so you must be keeping them relaxed. A style as precise as Shinji's can be quite fragile , any mistake in a long complex chain will result in reduced glide.
I read in one of terry's blog's that Shinji was working on getting faster and faster while keeping the same beautiful aesthetic style. That will be an interesting process to watch .What I would love to see is some footage in adverse OW conditions.

Your whole public search for knowledge has shown how excellent this forum can be. When you've searched so much yourself it's amazing how just one phrase from someone can give such insight.
Old 05-19-2013

swimust

@ cs10,

Your comment above is a great post. You have so many good and correct points in my opinion. BUT...
I have just came up with my own phrase. There is a phrase that says "the fat lady is singing". I just came up with my own phrase:
"the little girl is screaming".
What do I mean? this: the little impulsive girl can show us something! and... she just showed me what was my problem. I am at home not in the water, and I believe I found my problem which was a "little girls problem".
Its not complicated and sophisticated at all. Its like trying to walk forward with your back facing forwards... one of those stupid/donkey things.
My arm acceleration was technically faulty. Simple. No refine feeling, no use of forces, just wrong physical move of the deltoid at the start of the acceleration phase. A student dream because its so easy to fix. "Just walk with your back at the back, not at the front..." :)

So... Kyle solved my issue with my deltoid position and how to use it at start of acceleration. NOT SHINJI solved it. Shinji made it difficult for me to see my problem in his videos because of his smoothness and mastery.

This may sound like I am ignoring (again) the mastery of the Shinji swim. I do NOT do that. On the contrary, my focus on mastery until now prevented me from fixing a basic mechanical raw error.
The reason was in the little girl scream, not in the mastery and the complexity.

I am lucky that I saw Kyle swimming. A 10 years boy does it "raw".

If I can fix my stroke (my acceleration), only then I can start learning the mastery part. I was "mastering" before "moving". I have put the carriage before the horses. It happened because I didn't have a coach to fix my stroke right from the start of my learning.

So, at the end of the day, although you are right and your comments are great, my problem was a simple raw problem. Not at a mastery level. I believe that I am not bad at "mastery", but fixing a basic error was my issue.
It was the stroke. Not balance, not vessel shape, not streamline. Just the way my arm was moving in water.
Going later to the pool with a lot of hope...
I have a "game changer" in my hand :)

Last edited by swimust : 05-19-2013 at 04:49 AM.
Old 05-19-2013

cs10

I am lucky that I saw Kyle swimming. A 10 years boy does it "raw".
..[/quote]

I know exactly what you mean. Because I love beautiful movement so much , and even though a lot of the things I have done help me to understand a lot of what is behind it , I often tend to sit there mesmerised and don't learn much.
Watching a good , but not master level performer , you can see what they are doing a lot easier . A master often makes it look so easy that the details are hidden in the overall flow.

I hope you keep sharing your progress with us. Don't forget to look back on the replies to your posts. Once you get over this stage they will be helpful to you in the future.