Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Links and References
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2011
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation
Default TI Support and Help for Japan

As you may know, Japan and its people have occupied a special place in our hearts and minds for many years. Initially it was because the warmth and enthusiasm shown for Total Immersion when it was introduced there in 2005 were greater than we had seen anywhere in the world. When I first visited Japan in 2006 I was personally overcome by the modesty, thoughtfulness and consideration -- and expressions of appreciation -- from every person Alice and I met. This has only been reinforced on our three subsequent visits.

This afternoon we'll send an email announcing that proceeds from everything sold tomorrow at our on-line store will be sent to the Japanese Red Cross. I would also like to invite TI Swimmers to post messages of support here for our friends in Japan.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 03-21-2011

aerogramma

I've been several times to Japan and have a lot of dear friends over there.

Thankfully all of them are safe, though some of them live very close to the worst affected aerea and are still battling with shortages of food, fuel and the likes.

I whish them all the best, knowing that they will recover from this exceptional misfortune stronger and better.
Old 03-21-2011

drone

Thoughts, prayers, and best wishes to all the Japanese members of our human family facing calamities both natural and man-made. May there be much calmer waters - and much less radiation - ahead.
Old 03-21-2011

AWP

For sure, well wishes and continued perseverance.

Fall seven times, stand up eight. ~Japanese Proverb

Tsuyo-sa,

Alan
Old 03-23-2011

Georgina

The Total Immersion community in Japan are in my thoughts every day. My brother lives with his Japanese wife and family in Tokyo. They are safe for now but things are not easy.

"Do not fear the winds of adversity. Remember: A kite rises against the wind rather than with it."
georgie@totalimmersionsa.co.za
www.totalimmersionsa.co.za
Old 03-24-2011
Head Coach

I am so impressed by familiarity shown here with Japanese proverbs that are so appropriate and inspiring in this context.

My TI Story
Old 03-24-2011

cynthiam

I've never visited Japan but have felt a kinship and appreciation since learning a little about Japanese literature and Zen Buddhism in college. Just 2 weeks ago I bought a copy of Haruki Murakami's Kafka on the Shore, and it's awaiting my attention.

I watched tv coverage of the earthquake and tsunami live. Japan public broadcasting's (NHK) English version is one of the few channels I receive (no cable/dish) and it's the one I've watched most for the past year or so -- and it's what I had on when the earthquake struck. Newsline was the program, and the newscaster did a remarkable job staying calm and focused while it was all happening.

Thank you, Terry, for this opportunity to express my support for our TI friends in Japan as well as everyone else there during this very difficult time. My renewed interest in Japan led me a couple months ago to begin planning a trip to Tokyo & the Kyoto area. I hope to make this trip a reality when the situation has stabilized.

My thoughts and best wishes come to you, Japan, with one thousand cranes.
Old 03-25-2011
Head Coach

Default More from Coach Kyoko

In response to our message to all TI friends about sending our thoughts and financial support to Japan, TI Coach Kyoko Tsukamoto (I invite you to friend her on Facebook) sent me this sweet and heartwarming email today.

Dear Terry,
Thank you so much for your kind message.
I can feel how you think of me, my friends, all people now fight against terrible situation.
I feel you so close, and happy about it!
Since then, our situation much getting better now.
Some of our coaches, their home town is Tohoku area where quake and Tsunami attacked.
They been there, and still helping their family.
They are safe now, so we are happy to hear that.
We have good news.
We started kids & junior lesson yesterday!
Usually depth is 1.2m.
Now, depth is about 1m...maybe less.
It is much small amount of water now in a pool, but we still have possibility of another earthquake...
Our pool is at 7th floor, so if another quake happens, lower floors are going to wet again, so we can't make water full in a pool.
I swam there before lesson, I felt little bit strange...but got used to it soon.
Pool water is also cold.
I thought "OK, we can manage it". But soon after that I was laugh at my idea.
You know why? Because water and temperature problem were going to be big problem if we were in "normal" situation.
Students or customers will complain.
Now, we are in emergency situation so those problem are not big enough to be worried.
We always have some problems in our life...big or small....
Well, so we started lesson yesterday but not so many kids visited lesson.....
Yesterday morning, rather big earthquakes happened....maybe kids / parents nervous to go to lesson.
I hope they can enjoy lesson without nervous or stress from earthquake.
One of our coach, he prepared some pool toys for kids.
He suggested to buy some of those, bally-balls, basket balls toy.
We already got some of them before lesson, and kids were really happy with those toys!
Now, spring holiday season for school.
Next week, many kids are going to visit lesson, I think.
We gonna be busy for that...!
Every morning, there were earthquakes.
I kind of getting used to them, but of course frightened of them also.
I have to accept this situation.
By the way, your mail was really strong impact to me.
And I am such a lucky person because of you, we are far away but we still thinking of each other.
Distance is not disturbing our trusting each other.
Kyoko

My TI Story
Old 03-27-2011

ShinichiSteveSuzuki
Default TI support and help 70's

Terry and all TI lovers,
Thank you for your condolences.
It has been more than two weeks passed since March 11 tragedy in Japan.
The triple trouble as of the earthquakes, Tsunami, radiation keep us still difficulty.
Our friend who are 70's spend most of time watching TV in this dire situation at home.
This makes him not only sorrow, also enervation.
I heard from his wife that he is sitting his chair all day long and watching news updating
and having a fear for being sick if this goes on.
She remembers TI which her husband showed big interest last year and asked me to swim together.
TI gives him a small target every time and also accomplishment for each. This makes him positive for sure.
I am impressed that he is changing and become positive thinking under this tragedy.
We thank TI and want you to know this his small step, but certain until resume the ordinary life.
We try everything we can do!
S. Suzuki