Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Swimming In Triathlon
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2016
rivi1969

Default Is it doable from couch potato to decent swimmer at 46 y/o?

Hello guys,

I am new to the forum, actually I just learned about Total Immersion after going back from the pool completely wasted and disappointed about my performance.

I am 46 (47 next Nov 24th) and my goal -or dream better said- is to complete a Sprint Triathlon next year, something local, just for fun. The bike portion seems to be relative covered, I can routinely make 20miles in 1 hour, however literally I can't swim even 1-lenght (25 meters) without feeling completely exhausted, right now swim more than that seems like an impossible task to me.

Besides I need to swim because I have a low back problem and swimming seems to be an excellent therapy for it.

I wonder if you can give me an advice regarding which course to get first, the Freestyle Mastery Complete or the Ultra-Efficient Freestyle Complete? Do you think is possible to get better at my age??

Thank you!
Ricardo
Old 08-24-2016
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Ricardo
If you are currently struggling to complete 25 meters, then you should begin with the Ultra-Efficient Freestyle Self-Coaching Course. The Freestyle Mastery course is designed for those who have 6 months or more self-coaching experience with TI and whose foundation skills are well developed.
The UEF course teaches those foundation skills.

You can download a free excerpt from the Ultra Efficient Freestyle ebook here. http://www.totalimmersion.net/store/...l#.V7zrxVdsZg0

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 08-24-2016
rivi1969

Thank you Terry for your response. I will get the Ultra-Efficient then. Cannot wait to start it
Old 09-07-2016

gary p

It won't be easy at first, but it can be done. My wife went from where you are now to doing 500 yard workouts (swimming 2-3 lengths, then resting) in about 6 weeks. She was satisfied with that, but I think she could get to being able to swim 500 yards straight in another 6 weeks if she really wanted to.
Old 10-20-2017

CoachDebSagan
Thumbs up

Hi Ricardo!
How is your swimming journey progressing? Were you able to start the Ultra EF that Terry Recommended? Would enjoy hearing more from you so we can support your swimming activities.

Best laps!

Coach Deb Sagan
Pittsburgh, PA