Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Links and References
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-08-2009
terry terry is offline
Head Coach
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,305
terry has disabled reputation
Default Poll: Should we add a new Conference?

BradMM suggested we add a conference on the mental aspect of swimming. I think it's a great idea. I find Mindfulness among the most interesting aspects of swimming, and the one I've learned most about in my 50s.

Should we expand the purview of this new conference? Lately we've had many good discussions about aspects like The Talent Code, Mastery and Flow.

So two questions:
1) Add a new conference about the psychology of swimming well?
2) Suggest a good umbrella theme or title for such a conference?
__________________
Terry Laughlin
Head Coach & Chief Executive Optimist

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-09-2009
lvigrd lvigrd is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7
lvigrd
Default New Conference

I am definitely in favor of such a conference, as I am still searching for that "cocoon of calm" that you've described. Would there be any way to hold this conference online (or something like that) if it is based on visualization or mental training vs. actual physical pool training? As a single parent, it's hard enough to find time to get to the pool, let alone try to fit in a conference, and I would love the information.

Laura
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-09-2009
shuumai shuumai is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 1,077
shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvigrd View Post
I am definitely in favor of such a conference, as I am still searching for that "cocoon of calm" that you've described. Would there be any way to hold this conference online (or something like that) if it is based on visualization or mental training vs. actual physical pool training? As a single parent, it's hard enough to find time to get to the pool, let alone try to fit in a conference, and I would love the information.

Laura
I think "conference" in this case means a...category, like Breaststroke, Butterfly, Racing, etc.

It seems like a good idea. Speaking of mindfulness and such, I've been wanting to see a movie called "Peaceful Warrior." The star is a gymnast instead of a swimmer, but the movie involves psychological/spiritual/mental aspects of performance. Here is a scene from movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lWuUzpLLUs
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-10-2009
shuumai shuumai is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 1,077
shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai
Default

On second thought, TI is all about mindfulness in action, so it makes sense that the topic is intertwined in all the existing categories as it is now.

BTW, I just watched "Peaceful Warrior" and I really liked it. It's meaningful but "Hollywood" at the same time. Highly recommended.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-11-2009
stevereagan stevereagan is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 15
stevereagan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post
BradMM suggested we add a conference on the mental aspect of swimming. I think it's a great idea. I find Mindfulness among the most interesting aspects of swimming, and the one I've learned most about in my 50s.

Should we expand the purview of this new conference? Lately we've had many good discussions about aspects like The Talent Code, Mastery and Flow.

So two questions:
1) Add a new conference about the psychology of swimming well?
2) Suggest a good umbrella theme or title for such a conference?
What about something like "Mindful Swimming" or "Swimming with Mindfulness" - "mindfulness" seems to be the recurrent theme (and tool to make it happen)

-- Steve
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-11-2009
terry terry is offline
Head Coach
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,305
terry has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevereagan View Post
What about something like "Mindful Swimming" or "Swimming with Mindfulness" - "mindfulness" seems to be the recurrent theme (and tool to make it happen)
As Shuumai said, in this case, Conference means to add a new category , like Links and References, to the Forum.

I can see the appeal in a less obvious title, one that has a note of playfulness or mystery. On the other hand, I'd want to draw the largest number to the discussions as I find it the most interesting of topics, and I think a completely overt title such as "The Power of Mindfulness in Swimming" would likely have that effect.

All in favor, say "Aye."

PS: The response to posting video from my March presentation on Perpetual Motion Freestyle at MIT to my blog - three times more reads or views than any other blog I've posted - suggest we should do webinars on a variety of topics. The Power of Mindfulness is clearly a great topic candidate.
__________________
Terry Laughlin
Head Coach & Chief Executive Optimist

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story

Last edited by terry : 08-11-2009 at 09:48 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-11-2009
Mike from NS Mike from NS is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 551
Mike from NS
Default All in favor, say "Aye."

The mind set is always an important thing to "over analysers" like me. Whether it be in ballroom dancing or downhill skiing, it helps to know the mindset of those who have captured the skills to preform well. This conference might help to share the accomplished swimmers' mindsets and mindful tactics?

I say "Aye"!

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-11-2009
GeneP GeneP is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Greenville, North Carolina
Posts: 13
GeneP
Default

I vote aye.
__________________
Gene Prescott

Check out: http://betterhealthtmbc.blogspot.com/
Updated 2/16/2010
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-11-2009
lvigrd lvigrd is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7
lvigrd
Default

Oops, sorry for misinterpreting the term conference, thanks for the clarification. I had just finished watching the webinar from MIT, so yes! I am definitely in favor of more webinars, thanks Terry.
Laura
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-12-2009
kueli kueli is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 18
kueli
Default Short Titles are Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post
As Shuumai said, in this case, Conference means to add a new category , like Links and References, to the Forum.

I can see the appeal in a less obvious title, one that has a note of playfulness or mystery. On the other hand, I'd want to draw the largest number to the discussions as I find it the most interesting of topics, and I think a completely overt title such as "The Power of Mindfulness in Swimming" would likely have that effect.

All in favor, say "Aye."
How about "Mindful Swimming"?. The power part seems somewhat obvious...
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.