Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2014

Hoan Ta
Default One month learning TI

Hello TI swimmers,

I am impressed watching Shinji clips on Youtube and immediately registered for 7 free but helpful lessons on this website.

After one month practicing I produce my first video and would like to post it here and ask for your advice.

Thank you!

http://youtu.be/9SIw947cSVo
Old 11-26-2014

machelett

I'm not qualified to offer any advice. That much said, very impressive for just one month! I like your balance but I don't think you should wait until you come to a stop before you start stroking after pushing off.

Last edited by machelett : 11-27-2014 at 08:44 AM. Reason: One "to" too many and a typo
Old 11-26-2014

daveblt

Your stroke is starting to look good but here are a few tips:

Watch your head position ,you carry it a bit too high look down more this will also help your balance.

You enter your arm too flat with too much reach before it enters. Enter it just a tad earlier with your hand close to the water and elbow a bit higher .

Your entry arm crosses in toward your midline . Widen out your entry in front of the shoulder ,wide tracks, and again this can help with balance .

Dave

Last edited by daveblt : 11-26-2014 at 09:25 PM.
Old 11-26-2014

Hoan Ta

Thank you Dave and Machelett.

I will try what you suggested and will make new clips one month later.
Old 11-27-2014

Zenturtle

There is something optimistic in your stroke. Maybe because you suddenly burst into live when the transition between float and swimming happens.
Quite powerfull armpulls you are making with quite a nice flow in the swim.
I would suggest to keep the power part of the arm stroke underwater, and relax the part of the armstroke that goes over the water.
Now it looks a bit tense above the water.
Your kicking too much from the knees, and you mainly kick with your right leg, at the time your left leg should be kicking. (watch the swim away part)
Your right leg kicks when you enter your left arm, but also when you enter your right arm.
Further the usual stuff. Relax your stroke, be more core conscious, pull the water back, not down, start pulling when you have set your arm slightly before shoulder height.Not too early.
A bit too much upperbody dominated swimming. Should shift timing slightly to frontquadrant.
Try to get allready some bodyrotation in your pushoff, and than add the armmotion on the right timing with this rotation.
Good work. Looking forward to your next footage.

Last edited by Zenturtle : 11-27-2014 at 03:44 PM.
Old 12-25-2014

Hoan Ta
Default One month later

Dear All TI Swimmers,

Wish you a Merry Xmas and Happy New year!

Three weeks passed since my first post to TI Forum. Thank to your comments, I hope there maybe some improvement with my skill.
I'd like to get more comments from you to learn:

http://youtu.be/eoTdxEqm1gw
Old 12-25-2014

borate

Nicely done, after such a short time. Try opening your lips to the side and taking your breath slightly rearwards (Popeye mouth), instead of lifting the head, which causes your body to bob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.JPG (19.2 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by borate : 12-25-2014 at 06:00 PM.
Old 12-25-2014

Danny

Hoan Ta, I just watched your videos after the first month and the second month. I would suggest going back to watch the first video and compare it with the second video. What differences do you see? For each difference that you see, is it a positive or a negative change? Often what happens when one tries to correct one problem is that other problems creep in because we are not concentrating on them. There are two challenges to learning good swimming. First one must learn to see the mistakes one is making, and second one must be able to correct them without new ones creeping in at the same time.

Good Luck! You look very impressive after so short a time practicing.
Old 12-25-2014

Danny

One difference I see between the first and second videos is that in the second you are swimming with a slower stroke rate. What impact has this had on your general technique?
Old 12-26-2014

tomoy

Greetings and happy holidays!

Very nice work. You look more relaxed in the water.

Wider spear. Keep your hands on rails, like train tracks. These are defined by the line from your shoulder to your hip on each side, and the lines extend in front of you. I'm seeing your hands spearing directly in the middle in front of your head. So move those 6 inches wider.

Elbow-leading recovery. It looks like your hands are aiming to reach as soon as they exit the water. Try relaxing them as soon as they reach your hips, and concentrate on moving your elbow in a circular arc with your hand fully relaxed below and behind the elbow. Also, the elbows should exit more to the side, outside the body line. I see it behind you and above you. The visual is "opening the gate."

Kick is a little too strong on the right side. Otherwise good timing there.

Keep up the good work. You have a nice pool to practice in and are making excellent progress!