Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Links and References
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2013

machelett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talvi View Post
My bright blue PoolMate will be cheap and cheerful, more like wearing water wings than having a sports computer ... hopefully :)
It's sad that an excellent instrument would eventually drive you away from making music. I can assure you though that the Pool Mate will not heighten expectations and thus negatively influence your joy of swimming.
Expect the kids in the pool to be envious and demand their parents buy them a funky waterproof watch, too. :D

It is a matter of taste. Some people on the USMS forums, for example, praised the beauty of the Pool Mate. I think they're misguided but they exist and their opinion has to be respected. :)

It does function as advertised and once you get used to the awkward exterior and the appearance of a ladies' watch on your wrist, you'll be fine. I used mine until the battery ran dry after a few months and it's now in a box with an old Garmin 305 and other stuff.
Old 05-15-2013

Talvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by machelett View Post
It's sad that an excellent instrument would eventually drive you away from making music. I can assure you though that the Pool Mate will not heighten expectations and thus negatively influence your joy of swimming... It does function as advertised and once you get used to the awkward exterior and the appearance of a ladies' watch on your wrist, you'll be fine. I used mine until the battery ran dry after a few months and it's now in a box with an old Garmin 305
Roflmao :D :D Well, if you'd said earlier I could have made you an offer - though yours is may be too macho for me! ;) Hey, I like the idea of happy day toytown noddyland style, aka a lady's watch. :D
Old 05-15-2013

machelett

Quote:
Roflmao :D :D Well, if you'd said earlier I could have made you an offer - though yours is may be too macho for me! ;) Hey, I like the idea of happy day toytown noddyland style, aka a lady's watch. :D
Yes, it is incredibly macho and only a few people can handle that... :D

The battery would have to be replaced, which requires sending it in.
I wouldn't feel comfortable selling it in this state and I don't want to go through the trouble of replacing the battery. So I'll just let it rot there until I find someone to donate it to or I'll just have it recycled eventually. :)
Old 05-15-2013

Talvi

Quote:
The battery would have to be replaced, which requires sending it in.
This I did not realise :( How long does a battery last before it needs to be sent off (to where?!). The Garmin says it's battery lasts "up to one year" so that's got the same issue? What's the story?
Old 05-15-2013

machelett

Quote:
This I did not realise :( How long does a battery last before it needs to be sent off (to where?!). The Garmin says it's battery lasts "up to one year" so that's got the same issue? What's the story?
I don't recall exactly, it was more than 6 months but less than a year. The Swimnovate people have the battery replacement info on their website:
http://www.swimovate.com/faqs/#battery-replacement

The Garmin Swim does not have that problem because you can replace the battery yourself. I've had mine in use about 4 times every week since October and the battery is still good. The replacement battery costs about 2 EUR.
Old 05-15-2013

Talvi

Quote:
I don't recall exactly, it was more than 6 months but less than a year. The Swimnovate people have the battery replacement info on their website:http://www.swimovate.com/faqs/#battery-replacement
:( I'll have to hunt for a decent watch repairer when the time comes. Thanks :) I imagined the pro might charge via the usb but looks like nope.
Old 05-22-2013

nicka

I have a poolmate and it works flawlesly for me for a lap counter and timer.
When i read this thread the other day i thought that i have had mine for about 12 months and the battery is holding up well only to use it next the next day to find out it is almost flat with a very dim display, it still worked though and got me through the session.
I purchased a battery for it and changed it myself, pretty easy actually and all you need is a small jewellers screw drivers set and a CR2025 battery available even in supermarkets.
Just make sure the seal is sitting correctly when screwing the back onto the watch.
Nick
Old 05-22-2013

Talvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicka View Post
I have a poolmate and it works flawlesly ... I purchased a battery for it and changed it myself, pretty easy actually and all you need is a small jewellers screw drivers set and a CR2025 battery ... Just make sure the seal is sitting correctly ...
Nick
Thanks Nick. Good to hear.

I ordered my PoolMate from Wiggle. When they finally admitted the delivery had been screwed up, their solution was not to get it right, but to cancel my order and tell me to place a new order for it with them! Yeah right! That's one company I've crossed off my Christmas card list.

Anyway, now the OW season has begun I am confronted by a choice between the Finis Hydro Tracker and the Garmin 910XT. Decisions decisions! I think another thread may be called for. When I go back to the pool I will definitely get a PoolMate (thanks to all here for helping me decide that one anyway), just not from Wiggle, from Mailsports probably or, well from anywhere, other than Wiggle! :D

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 05-22-2013

nicka

Good luck with the OW season Talvi and your decision, as our summer season has just finished i'll be keeping an eye on the new releases throughout the year ready for next summer and with the rumors of new smart watches to hit the market this year it will be interesting to see any will benefit OW swimming.
Maybe the new Apple Iwatch will have a GPS in it :)
Old 05-22-2013

Talvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicka View Post
Good luck with the OW season Talvi and your decision, i'll be keeping an eye on the new releases throughout the year ready for next summer and with the rumors of new smart watches to hit the market this year it will be interesting to see any will benefit OW swimming. Maybe the new Apple Iwatch will have a GPS in it :)
Thanks Nicka, I need it! :D Yes, I think I may well hold fire. Have you seen this: http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/GPS...ch/td-p/480834 Looks fun :) Maybe in the interim I'll just buy a waterproof bag and strap my phone on my head!! Now there's an idea :D

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov

Last edited by Talvi : 05-22-2013 at 12:13 PM.