Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Links and References
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2013

Richardsk

My resolution for this year is basically just to keep on keeping on, but I could probably adopt all of CoachToby's resolutions, or nearly all.

I do hope to improve some swim times this year - all if possible.

I also intend to do more yoga. I think a yoga thread is a good idea. Under favorite practices and sets?
Old 03-06-2013

nurledge
Default passing 500m barrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurledge View Post
The past 2 days, managed to break 150m barrier. Here is the set i did

4 x 50M
2 x 100M
2 x 150M
2 x 100M
4 x 50M

before doing the above, i did total of 1000M of drills ranging from superman glide to swing switch.

Looking to reach 200M in in February.
i did 3 x 500M last nite. I was pretty pleased; as I could hardly complete 50M in last Oct. The reason i this set if for a preparation for my maiden swim in open water this coming weekend. It will be 700M only.
Old 03-17-2013
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation
Default Update on my yoga resolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post
My initial idea was to mark the calendar with a Y each day I did yoga for at least 10 minutes, with a goal of having at least 200 days marked by this time next year.

But as I wrote Small is Beautiful in my blog I decided to walk that back and resolve only to do yoga for 5 consecutive days, for a minimum of 25 min. Then build on that.
I wrote the above over 10 weeks ago, on Dec 28. Here's an update on my yoga resolution.

January - I practiced on 26 of 31 days, averaging 28 min per practice.
February - I practiced on 27 of 28 days, averaging 31 min per practice.
March - So far this month, I've practiced on 14 of 16 days, averaging 29 min per practice.

The most important result of pursuing this as a resolution is that I've converted from lacking the inclination for solo practice at home to making it a preference. For 18 years I'd done yoga done almost exclusively in group classes.

By starting with a modest initial goal of marking the calendar with a Y each time I did at least 10 minutes in a day it was quite easy to put that mark on the calendar (and in fact the briefest practice has been 15 min, with my average around 30 min.) and very rewarding to see the calendar fill up with Y marks. My longest stretch of consecutive days was 27.

In that time I've only done two group classes, compared to 65 days of home practice so far, so I've definitely made it a habit.In doing so I've found good reasons to love practice at home:
7. Convenience - Few excuses or barriers stand between me and the mat.
6. Great way to start the day - facing the rising sun in the east as I practice.
5. Great way to end the day - facing the setting sun in the west as I practice.
4. An ideal break between stretches of working at my desk. It gets the kinks out and leaves me mentally refreshed.
3. An inspiring practice venue. From views from windows at home I see mostly nature -- and mountain views when I face the west. Local yoga studios can't touch it.
2. Solo practice is more calming and inward-looking -- even with those views.
1. In solo practice I can focus on poses that feel most simpatico.

The most significant positive change is that yoga is now unquestionably part of my life. I think the benefits--to body, mind and spirit--of the swim/yoga combo will be immeasurable. I feel as if more regular yoga practice has already brought clear benefits my swimming practice, by making it more holistic and ego-less.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story

Last edited by terry : 03-17-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-17-2013

andyinnorway

I wonder what the statistics are for maintaining a resolution like this when it is home based compared to something that needs travel time.

I'm in week 6 of 6 day a week strength training and know that I've only been able to do it because it's home based. I never have a spare 40 minutes to do push ups and pull ups but I do have 10x4 minutes so I just do it in between the requirements of the day.
Old 03-17-2013

caronis

Quote:
I wrote the above over 10 weeks ago, on Dec 28. Here's an update on my yoga resolution.

By starting with a modest initial goal of marking the calendar with a Y each time I did at least 10 minutes in a day it was quite easy to put that mark on the calendar (and in fact the briefest practice has been 15 min, with my average around 30 min.) and very rewarding to see the calendar fill up with Y marks. My longest stretch of consecutive days was 27.

In doing so I've found good reasons to love practice at home:
1. In solo practice I can focus on poses that feel most simpatico.
I'm going to contribute more thoughts on the other thread that you've been discussing Yoga.

It's interesting how we've been on opposite poles regarding our Yoga Resolutions. I wanted to make it a habit as well, but have been an overachiever in the sense that I initially was doing around 45-60 minutes a day. You were allowing yourself to get by with as little as 5 minutes a day....The end result for me was this.
I lost my inspiration for Yoga because I was asking too much of myself, and when I failed to achieve my commitment, I became disenchanted with the process.

There's this guy named Kiyosaki who wrote the book, "Rich Dad, Poor Dad". He has an original and refreshing viewpoint regarding Goals.
He believes in setting Goals low, not high. He says that when we set high goals, we rarely achieve them and lose a sense of integrity with ourselves. He believes that if our goals are set so that they are obtainable, we develop our confidence in achieving them and can then work to surpass them.

I like this non-conventional view. I've often thought we should create two sets of goals. One that we are likely to achieve with a reasonable amount of effort, and the other is a fantastic reaching for the stars type of goal. That way we can stay grounded on what we should be able to do, yet at the same time, reaching for the stars without feeling the guilt of not achieving what we wished for ourselves....sort of like reaching for the stars, but being satisfied if we only end up on the moon.
Old 03-22-2013
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyinnorway View Post
I never have a spare 40 minutes to do push ups and pull ups but I do have 10x4 minutes so I just do it in between the requirements of the day.
I sometimes do my strength work similarly. I work 75 min, then take a 15 min break. Perfect time for yoga, core work or resistance/strength training. I may do 2-3 like that on a busy day.

My TI Story
Old 03-22-2013
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by caronis View Post
I've often thought we should create two sets of goals. One that we are likely to achieve with a reasonable amount of effort, and the other is a fantastic reaching for the stars type of goal.
I've done the same many times, but increasingly I see the wisdom of 95% of goals being so modest we almost cannot fail. Then build on success.

My TI Story
Old 03-29-2013

CoachToby

I'm well om the way to achieving one of my swim resolutions of 2013 - effortless flip turns. I've done 2-3 hours practise in the last 3 months and the turns are starting to look respectable. I had the confidence to use them in a Triathlon club session last week - I only had two collisions!. When I get it right, I estimate at least a half second improvement compared to my open turns.
Old 04-03-2013
Head Coach

Default An Update on My Resolutions

With March complete, here are my yoga practice totals for the first three months of 2013.
January - I practiced on 26 of 31 days, averaging 28 min per practice.
February - I practiced on 27 of 28 days, averaging 31 min per practice.
March - I practiced on 28 of 31 days, averaging 32 min per practice.

I didn't track the avg minutes per practice during the month so I'm pleased to see that my practice time is lengthening slightly each month.
Also, during March I practiced swimming on 18 of 31 days, averaging 56 minutes per practice -- with a big chunk of that coming the final week while I was at our Kona Open Water camp.

My TI Story
Old 04-05-2013

caronis

Quote:
With March complete, here are my yoga practice totals for the first three months of 2013.

I didn't track the avg minutes per practice during the month so I'm pleased to see that my practice time is lengthening slightly each month.
I am wondering if you feel or can tell a difference with doing Yoga so much more consistently and averaging 30 minutes a day?......If you feel better, is it just a vague sense of accomplishment, or can you see a difference in strength, flexibility, or balance in any way.