Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Links and References
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2012

CoachLuisaFonseca

The difference between knowledge and wisdom is discernment. You may have a great intellectual mind, and have a completly rational and logical approach about something, but making a logical, rational connection about two facts (or evidence), doesn't necessarily reveal the truth...

Traditional swimming is full of "knowlegde". People adopt the traditional theories simply because they make sense, even when the result is crap, they continue insisting on using the same theories - they make sense! That's lack of discernment. (even though if the result were "good", there could be lack of discernment as well... since like I said above, the causal connections we make rationally aren't necessarily the truth, independently of the results)

So, when you say Terry, that you are a man of "evidence", I think the brilliance of your approach to swimming goes way beyond that. There is much more discernment in your approach.

But, what is discerment? Seeing things how they are really are, beyond our perception of them? It sounds like a "metaphysical" thing, when I really don't think it is that much... and how do you develop discernment? That involves so many factors... balance between body, mind, emotions, an honest motivation, integrity of character... and swimming can be used as a means to reach it.

It's so difficult to swim well as it is to live well... :p

Last edited by CoachLuisaFonseca : 12-22-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-22-2012

Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachLuisaFonseca View Post
The difference between knowledge and wisdom is discernment. You may have a great intellectual mind, and have a completly rational and logical approach about something, but making a logical, rational connection about two facts (or evidence), doesn't necessarily reveal the truth...

Traditional swimming is full of "knowlegde". People adopt the traditional theories simply because they make sense, even when the result is crap, they continue insisting on using the same theories - they make sense! That's lack of discernment. (even though if the result were "good", there could be lack of discernment as well... since like I said above, the causal connections we make rationally aren't necessarily the truth, independently of the results)

So, when you say Terry, that you are a man of "evidence", I think the brilliance of your approach to swimming goes way beyond that. There is much more discernment in your approach.

But, what is discerment? Seeing things how they are really are, beyond our perception of them? It sounds like a "metaphysical" thing, when I really don't think it is that much... and how do you develop discernment? That involves so many factors... balance between body, mind, emotions, an honest motivation, integrity of character... and swimming can be used as a means to reach it.

It's so difficult to swim well as it is to live well... :p
Nicely said. A fine example of wisdom. :0)
Old 12-23-2012

azamy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Nicely said. A fine example of wisdom. :0)
Exactly! with due respect to swimmers of other "schools of thought", TI'ers are brilliant people. Beside swimming there is much more to learn from each and everyone of them here on the forums. I would love to meet a number of the giants in person someday. I hope I will :)

Last edited by azamy : 12-23-2012 at 05:55 AM. Reason: Punctuation
Old 12-27-2012

caronis
Default Meta Learning Book

I am wondering if any of you have read the actual book about Meta Learning. I've checked out the wickpedia article on it, but I'm reluctant to buy the book because it means one more book that I have to read.
It's interesting to me about the Author's background. We have similar interests, ideas, and in fact, he's spent time in NorCal dealing with some of the same people I have. It doesn't seem to me that it's some masterpiece work, but the brilliance of it I believe, is that he addresses a subject that is woefully ignored.
Old 12-28-2012

caronis

Anyone know if the author of Meta Learning, Tim Ferriss, visits this Forum? Tim, if you're out there, speak up. I promise to buy your book if you are.
Old 01-05-2013

Talvi

Haschu33 - may I suggest that the goal is to be, and to the greatest extent of your potential for that.

My old tai chi techer told a story of a student who approached a master to ask how long it would take to learn the tai chi. "Ten years" replied the master. "So long?" said the student "what if I practised twice as hard as the rest?". "Twenty years" replied the master. "I am confused" said the student "what if I practice all the hours I have, night and day? How long will it then take to learn the tai chi?". "Thirty years" replied the master. "How can this be" sputtered the student "that the harder I try the longer it takes". The master replied "If you have one eye on your goal, you only have one for your practice.".
Old 01-06-2013

caronis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talvi View Post
My old tai chi techer told a story of a student who approached a master to ask how long it would take to learn the tai chi. "Ten years" replied the master. "So long?" said the student "what if I practised twice as hard as the rest?". "Twenty years" replied the master.
The master replied "If you have one eye on your goal, you only have one for your practice.".
I like this! The principle that is being conveyed here is that sometimes "Less is More".....In an offshoot to this, it reminds me of what I heard Jim Rohn say in a taped lecture. Jim Rohn was this great motivational speaker who actually was Tony Robbins Protege and also influenced many other people in the motivational speaking field. These guys aren't eastern "gurus", but they can be messengers of such great wisdom too!
I'm paraphrasing here, but he went through a list of a dozen ways to become more successful. The very first thing he said was, "Sure . . . you can Work Harder and Longer. For some of you, perhaps many of you, that can be the key to success.....But you don't tell the ditch digger who's working 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, "You'd be alot more successful if you worked Harder and Longer!!!!"

I loved this because most of us have had the message of work harder and longer impounded in our brain. The problem is . . . some of use do work hard and yet ignore being more clever in our work.

This is where TI Swimming fits in. Being clever in your approach to swimming will likely yield better and longer lasting results than in just working hard.

It is a worthwhile debate to discuss the value of achieving some idealized peak. It's funny how you can even make the analogy of this to the idea of climbing Mt Everest.
But if you have already fixed the idea of climbing Mt Everest, then do it in the most professional manner. Anything less, is sheer foolishness.

To me, the axiom that rings true in my mind, is the definition of insanity. To do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result. This is in part of what drew me to find a better way to swim. I was the typical robotic lap swimmer that Terry describes in one of his books. Sure, I could push myself for a couple of months and get faster, but it was never sustainable. Once I backed off from swimming, my times would settle back down to where they started at.

I think this is where the analogy of TI can be applied to other aspects of life. Work, home projects, .....even relationships I suppose. It's the notion of spend your time doing things that have high impact. Don't mindlessly do activities like a robot. Understand their significance, their impact, their practicality, etc.

I am going to post a new thread somewhere soon regarding what Terry had stated regarding some New Year's Resolutions with his practice of Yoga. I am going to get on his case a little bit because I think he might be approaching the pursuit of Yoga the same way a lap swimmer robotically does their laps. Pretty much to check off an X on the Calendar. I want to challenge him to think about his Yoga practice in a more TI-oriented fashion.
Old 01-06-2013
Coach

CoachSuzanne

This thread has taken an enjoyable tone! Thanks for the toughtfulness.
Fresh Freestyle

Old 01-07-2013

Talvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
This thread has taken an enjoyable tone! Thanks for the toughtfulness.
What a nice word :) Taughtfulness? ;) ... sorry!
Old 01-08-2013

caronis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talvi View Post
What a nice word :) Taughtfulness? ;) ... sorry!
Now, Now Talvi . . . don't tease the Good Doctor....they're known for their thoughtfulness, not their penmanship!