Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Links and References
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2011
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Yay! Now just hire a 14 year old to install an updated CMS. ;) (I use joomla on my coaching site as well, but it's so bulky compared to how far wordpress has come).
Fresh Freestyle

Old 12-08-2011
Coach

CoachGaryF

I think before and after footage, perhaps including clips of hands-on coaching along the way, is something that is absent and worth highlighting on the TI site. Any website/swimming company can talk a good game. We can show with video proof that our methods work in very short order. So we should.
Old 12-08-2011

haschu33

I can't refrain from commenting on this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post
... And yet of all business and cultural figures of the late 20th/early 21st Century, I think he is most likely to still have iconic status 100 years from now. And to still be influencing how people live their lives in 2111.
My view of Steve Jobs is a little more distant, maybe in accord with this:
Quote:
... As the book makes clear, Jobs was a massively complicated person, ...
Let me illustrate this with my unsuccessful attempt to get myself an iPhone.

On examining technical details I found this with the iPhone:
- I can't replace the battery
- I can't enlarge the memory with a storage card
- I can't attach the phone as a mass storage device to any PC
- I must use iTunes for vital functions (Even initializing it... at least for the first ones), from one and the same PC or notebook
- It doesn't run flash content
- Apps run through an approval process where they can fail but the critera doesn't get published
- Apple collects and stores personal data from the individual phone usage without disclaiming what, for what and how long

Let me put it like this: Apples restrictive policy and me, we are not compatible. That is unfortunately stronger than me being emotional drawn to Apple products. I am using an Android smartphone today which doesn't have any of those restrictions. It is not quite as consequently easy in usage but leaves a lot more room for personal adaptations, otherwise it is just great. Since Apple is Steve Jobs it is his policy, his mind, his view of the world. If I were to put it in simple words I would say in my very own personal view: a man with an incredible sense for visions, determination and willingness to go his path up to the very end and of exceptional talents. Who unfortunately never managed to escape the claustrophibic and paranoid world of a salesman who fears nothing more than becoming poor and insignificant. Strangely enough I think something he has in common with Bill Gates.
As I said - a very personal viewpoint.

I absolutely like the Apple design. That has a history for me. Today you see people - young and old - craving for exceptional designed Apple products, which most of them could afford. In my youth there were people who were craving for products of the relatively small company Braun in Germany, my dream as a teenager was the Braun magnetic tape recorder TG 1020 with an prohibitive price for it's time, at least for me. I think it was more than 1000 Deutsch Mark in the 1970ties! The chief designer of Braun was Dieter Rams. What is striking is that the Braun devices were developed in the 1960ties, partly in the 1950ties, more than 50 years ago where design was not an attribute for industrial goods, not at all.

Here is a link to a youtube video from 2011 of the Braun TG 1020 from the 1970ties, still working. And here is a link to an article showing the apple design evolving from Braun design. I was and still am a fan of Braun products, and I am a fan of the Apple design and the Apple products, unfortunately... we don't seem to get together. I still don't own any apple product and I am afraid I might never...
Old 12-08-2011

ashby

I would have liked to have known which good swimmers and triathletes use the total immersion method and how they use it to win races etc. I think that would have got my interested more quickly from the start (maybe my competitive side he he). As has been said by other folk here anyone can talk a good game in swim coaching so I think its only natural to look for results. :)
Old 12-08-2011

andyinnorway

The Iphone isn't apples finest hour but a huge commercial success,

however, my macbook pro, with its long battery life, turns on when I lift the screen, magentic power charger, aluminum sturdy case, no virus operating system, runs windows 7 at the touch of a button on boot and intuitive apps is a better example of what made the company great (at least up to the point of the lion release).

As for the website, take a leaf from apples book 30 years ago. Be proud of being niche, and celebrate the differences. TI can teach you to swim but more importantly it will make you feel better spiritually. Focus on the USP, the commericallity of the other swim sites are very transparent. Goswim.tv is better than the others but I think they must be owned by finis?

Please no sound or fancy flash intros they are very annoying after one visit.

You may also want to look at my brother in laws web design company. He has only been going a couple of years and has already picked up work with Sony, BBC, Disney and others. He is also a one man company so you will always know who you are dealing with, and a clam sincere person to work with.

www.toasteddigital.com ask for Sam.

ps I watched better breastroke on vimeo today and took my SPL down by 3-4 and my length time by nearly 10 seconds. I was even overtaking the other freestylers in the lane. Amazing discovery for a half hour web watch investment. TI rocks.
Old 12-08-2011

Alex-SG
Default TI Efficiency Calculator

Golf has the concept of Handicap to assess how good a Golfer is.

I'd like to see a TI Efficiency Calculator on the WEB Site.
INPUTS: Height/wingspan, Weight, SR=1.35, SPL over 50m LAP, T
OUTPUT: Some TI Rating on a scale from 1-10.

For Example I have a SPL=40 per 50m LAP, @SR=1.35, T=54sec
I estimate Shinji to have SPL=31 per 50m LAP, @SR=1.35, T=42sec

The Calculator could say: ALEX: 6/10 (Intermediate), SHINJI=10/10 (Advanced) and perhaps provide some recommendations on how to bridge the GAP.

ALEX
Old 12-08-2011

andyinnorway

Terry I just read your blog entry

Nimble Brain may not be a term a neurobiologist might use, but it’s one that I think nearly any would grasp immediately.

These are your words and they made me think of the importance of a name.

If you asked 100 people what they would expect to find at Swimsmooth.com most would have an idea.

If you asked 100 people what they would find at totalimmersion.net I think you may get 100 different answers, or maybe a submarine manufacturer or a business consultancy?
Old 12-08-2011
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

After 22 years I still think Total Immersion is an (insanely) great name for a swim company and feel fortunate to have thought of it. And the fact that it may convey several things is a positive in my mind. Most of those who don't know TI is a swim company would likely say it's about getting deeply and completely engaged with something you value.

Some of the most recognized company names have no literal connection to what the company does - Google for instance.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 12-08-2011

haschu33

Quote:
... Some of the most recognized company names have no literal connection to what the company does - Google for instance.
Or Apple ;-)

I think 'Total Immersion' and 'TI' is a hit. It definetily contributes to the success of TI. There is no name for Swim Smooth or for Go Swim...
Old 12-09-2011

hippo

There is a TI level calculator on the TI Japan site, might be worth including.

I think Terry's writing is excellent, his explanations are clear and well structured. However I wonder if some more easily accessible writing/ diagrams (dare I say animations like swimsmooth?) would open up the site to non native speakers?

Maybe a few translations from coaches in other countries that then link to their websites?

How about a list of forthcoming workshops displayed more prominantly.

I like the idea of a simple, clear opening webpage.

The store and links need an update. Maybe a page with a chronology of all the TI produced materials to crossreference between what is older/ newer.
Maybe clearly showing the latest versions, alongside those they replace.

The forum -wonderful material which has helped me enormously, terrible frames. Can it be made frames free only?

I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out, keep up the great work!
Hippo