Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Links and References
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2011

afbcpa
Default 2011 Goals

To continue on the TI path that I started 6 months ago, whereas, I continue to improve my freestyle. I just like being in the water, it makes me feel better. To further the goal in 2011, I joined a gym a few months ago to swim this winter, it has a salt water pool.

My secondary goal is as I swim better my health will improve.

I bike frequently in the warmer weather. But, I feel that I was losing my fitness level over the winter, so therefore, I've made continuing my training a priority over the cold weather months.

I live in NJ.

Tony
Old 01-05-2011

mike rubino

Terry , Thanks for the reply, and recommendations. 60 has its challenges and rewards, but one thing I have found is that it doesnt hold one back .
Old 01-06-2011

Grant
Default 2011 Goals

Short term goals - by the end of April
Set Canadian records for 75-79 (am 76 this year) in
Short Course Meters - 100, 200, and 400 Free, 50, 100 Fly
Long Course Meters - 100,200 Free and 100 Fly (I already hold the 50 Fly, was careful not to strain my arm while doing the back patting.))

Longer term - year end
Set Canadian records in
SCM - 400, 800 and 1500 Free

Am very close to some and a ways off in others. Only have one LCM meet this year and it is in March so time is compressing.

The goal is to do this within the context of joy and ease. This forum is a constant scource of info and rejuvination for me.

Hope we all have a good year.
Old 01-06-2011

bnichols4
Default 2011 Goals

My goals are to participate in an Open Water Swim this Summer and finish in the top half of my age group. There are 3 - 4 events in Arizona and I would like to be able to start with the 1K or 2k on April 30 and by September be confident enough to participate in the 4K. To get to that goal my action steps are to swim 3 - 4 times per week working on efficincey, endurance and speed. Will probably join one of th local Master programs in Arizona. I have set up a daily schdule with incremental increase in yardage to help me meaure my progress. I document this on an excel spread sheet so that I have a visual reminder and documentation.
Old 01-06-2011

KatieK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnichols4 View Post
My goals are to participate in an Open Water Swim this Summer and finish in the top half of my age group. There are 3 - 4 events in Arizona and I would like to be able to start with the 1K or 2k on April 30 and by September be confident enough to participate in the 4K. To get to that goal my action steps are to swim 3 - 4 times per week working on efficincey, endurance and speed. Will probably join one of th local Master programs in Arizona. I have set up a daily schdule with incremental increase in yardage to help me meaure my progress. I document this on an excel spread sheet so that I have a visual reminder and documentation.
Hi bnichols4! I'm in AZ, too, and I love those Open Water Swim Series events. There's a TI Masters team that practices at the JCC in Scottsdale (http://www.camelbackcoaching.com/Cam...-Swimming.html scroll down to the bottom for Masters info). Also, if you're looking for open water swim buddies, check out this group on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/#!/home.php?...399892134&ap=1
-Katie
Old 01-06-2011
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthiam View Post
1 & 2) My motivation is the excitement I feel at the thought of being really comfortable in the water, being able to swim in different types of water & conditions & distances, enjoying the sense of mastery and accomplishment,

4) The higher purpose is the pursuit of excellence (and how that may affect other areas of my life) -- swimming is the first physical activity that has ever called me to pursue a *practice*.

6) Measuring my progress is pretty straightforward, though some will be more qualitative than quantitative. I think I'll know it when I feel it.
Reading these responses has been wonderfully instructive for me. You might imagine how hard it is to avoid projecting one's own perspective on things. This sharing of goals is so valuable for me because I see how predominant is the tendency among TI swimmers - at least those represented here - to have qualitative, rather than quantitative goals.

I also have qualitative goals, and they're the ones that - when realized - bring enduring satisfaction.

However, as you might infer from reading the practice summaries I post here, I'm very strongly drawn to quantitative measures of how I'm swimming. Some of that is a legacy of what is closing on on a half-century as a competitive swimmer and coach.

An equally strong factor is that I subscribe to the ideas that
1) What gets measured gets improved; and
2) What gets measured you also tend to care more deeply about.

Also an element identified as a common feature in the Deep Practice that produces Excellence and of activities that produce Flow States is creating feedback loops that let you know how you're doing.

I've learned that I'm strongly wired to respond to specific quantitative goals. Relating my practice performances to these goals keep me engaged on a higher level.

I always experience Flow from my practice. But at times like this, when I'm plotting and achieving incremental practice toward quantitatively-measurable goals, my level of engagement and excitement is extraordinary. It really is a pretty amazing experience to be on the verge of 60, yet feeling even more motivated than I was at 15. And no one I knew at 15 was more motivated than me.

I have the utmost regard for those whose goals are mostly qualitative, but also hope to provide perhaps a bit of inspiration to consider setting a quantitative goal too, just to see how you respond to it.

I think a book on goal-setting for swimming - or anything - would be a satisfying undertaking.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 01-06-2011

bx

I'm only a month into TI, and this is my 2011 Goal (singular):

I'm aesthetically motivated, and so I want to grow into a stylish freestyler! Hope that isn't too shallow. I couldn't care a jot about lap times or competitions.

Strategies: Follow the EasyF DVD and use web resources. Find a friend with a private pool so I can get some video of my technique...

Progress: Some sessions are better than others, but if I'm a little further along each month, that's OK by me. Like I say, I don't have any competitions or anything to strive for. I guess I'm "internally motivated". Or just unsociable :)

Ant.
Old 01-06-2011
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bx View Post
Like I say, I don't have any competitions or anything to strive for. I guess I'm "internally motivated". Or just unsociable :)

Ant.
Ant
It's neither shallow nor antisocial to have esthetic and qualitative goals. It's very healthy and far more common than having quantitative. In Japan, the advertising headline that has tested strongest in bringing people to learn TI is "Swim with Grace."

I read someplace that two distinct personality types are Creatively-oriented and Achievement-oriented. We're all wired differently and should pursue the goals that resonate most strongly. I've always been Achievement-oriented but it's important that I - and by extension TI - understand how to support those who are Creatively-oriented.

By the way, our CEO, Shinji Takeuchi is Creatively-oriented, so we make a complementary pair.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 01-07-2011

AWP

Goals,
* to swim, or come as close to, a relatively comfy 7 min. 500 yds.
* become more proficient in the 'other' strokes
* to compete in at least two open water events. (my first year of open water in 2009 included only two, my only two, events in which I placed for my age group category. I'd like to pick up where I left off. 2010 proved uneventful, literally, but I increased frequency and distance and regularly experienced flow.
*actually swim in, not just visit, Lake Minnewaska. (both Terry and Dave Barra train there and if their accomplishments are any indication, well, there must be magical elements in there, a "fountain of youth" of sorts; gotta get me some ;p)
* obtain a fuller sense of wisdom for what it is I'm doing. I am a simple man of simple means, I want to be a greater man of simple means.
* get a new Tempo Trainer!
Old 01-07-2011

cynthiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post
An equally strong factor is that I subscribe to the ideas that
1) What gets measured gets improved; and
2) What gets measured you also tend to care more deeply about.

Also an element identified as a common feature in the Deep Practice that produces Excellence and of activities that produce Flow States is creating feedback loops that let you know how you're doing.

I have the utmost regard for those whose goals are mostly qualitative, but also hope to provide perhaps a bit of inspiration to consider setting a quantitative goal too, just to see how you respond to it.

I think a book on goal-setting for swimming - or anything - would be a satisfying undertaking.
I agree that there's a place for quantitative measurements and goals even for us creatively/aesthetically motivated types. :) Mine will be distance-related, primarily. Time will come into play too, but it will be less granular than tenths of seconds.

That said, the quantitative side of me is less of an influence on my outlook and less exercised I think. I admit that my eyes glaze over when I read practice sets here (same thing happens when I read financial reports at work).

Seems to me that when I am able to swim more than a few laps continuously I'll be more interested in measuring specifics (including using the tempo trainer). But maybe I need to do this in order to get to that point...maybe I don't currently have effective feedback loops.

Terry, I'd love to see your goal-setting book on swimming. When do you plan on producing it??