Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Links and References
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2008

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai
Default Need Help Sizing Zura Alpha Fins

I'm worried about sizing Zura Alpha fins without being able to try them on. Does anyone have experience with the fit of these fins? My shoe size is mens' US 11.5 wide (when I can find them). The fins come in large, 10-11 and extra large, 12-13.

Oh, now I see that the "official" sizing chart shows large, 10-11.5 and extra large, 11.5-13.

If the fins runs narrow or small, I guess I'd go with the larger size. Of course, if they run wide or big, I would get the smaller size. I have no way to know.

(TMI: Sometimes I buy size 12 regular shoes to fit my toes comfortably, but the heels are usually a little loose. The 11.5 wide seems to work well. An 11.5 regular is possible. Rarely will an 11 wide fit.)

Last edited by shuumai : 12-24-2008 at 06:15 PM.
Old 12-24-2008

RadSwim

I wear an 11 shoe and have a narrow, flat foot. The vertical height of my mid-foot is unusually small so that I have to lace athletic shoes very tight and have to buy 3-strap sandals since the upper strap is in the wrong place on non-adjustable sandals.

With that background, the LARGE Zura Alpha fits me perfectly. I suspect that you need an EXTRA LARGE. Consider buying from a vendor with a good return policy, just in case.

RadSwim
Old 12-24-2008

shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadSwim View Post
I wear an 11 shoe and have a narrow, flat foot. The vertical height of my mid-foot is unusually small so that I have to lace athletic shoes very tight and have to buy 3-strap sandals since the upper strap is in the wrong place on non-adjustable sandals.

With that background, the LARGE Zura Alpha fits me perfectly. I suspect that you need an EXTRA LARGE. Consider buying from a vendor with a good return policy, just in case.
Thanks!

OK, I just ordered extra large fins from SwimOutlet partly because they offer free exchange shipping. They also have one of the lower total prices. I guess it's reasonable to try aquatic socks if the fins are too loose. I'd hate to exchange a size that is too loose for one that is too tight.

BTW, my feet are also flat. Once I learn to use my feet well, I will have quite a set of natural fins, relative to my height. Medium height, big feet.
Old 12-24-2008

shuumai

Now I'm curious if the positive buoyancy helps or hinders any strokes.
Old 12-25-2008

RadSwim

Unquestionably helps. Like a very subtle pull buoy. Try it, you'll like it.
Old 12-25-2008

shuumai

Quote:

Brilliant. I'll report back next year (January). I doubt I'll have them before then.

Subtle sounds good because pull buoys make me float too high. In general I sink though.
Old 12-28-2008

shuumai
Default Neutralising the Alpha Fin

Quote:
Hey, since the Zura Alphas have positive buoyancy, what if weights were added to make them neutrally buoyant? Either ankle weights or weights strategically attached to the fins. Might there be an advantage to that?
Old 01-06-2009

ny1301
Default how do you like it?

hi shuumai, how do you like the fins? My feet size also falls in between, so I'd like to know how do you feel. Is it ok to get a bigger one? Is it more forgiven in wider or longer side?

Another concern is how much does it affect you after you take it off? I had a pair of fins that made me feel I could not swim barefoot after used it for a few laps.

good luck
Old 01-06-2009

shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny1301 View Post
hi shuumai, how do you like the fins? My feet size also falls in between, so I'd like to know how do you feel. Is it ok to get a bigger one? Is it more forgiven in wider or longer side?

Another concern is how much does it affect you after you take it off? I had a pair of fins that made me feel I could not swim barefoot after used it for a few laps.

Well...UPS package tracking shows that the fins are in my state now, but not out for delivery yet. If they seem to fit, I'll take them out for testing. I guess things should feel a little tighter on land because they usually loosen up a bit in the water.

My primary reasons for wanting fins is for fun, to work on the dolphin kick, and to get a feel for resistance at higher speeds. I don't plan to use them so much that I could become addicted to them.

I should have information for you in the next couple days.
Old 01-07-2009

shuumai

OK, the fins just came in. They dry fit well. If I really wiggle my foot into the fin, there is a one-finger gap at the heal strap. There is plenty of toe room. The width and height feels good without looseness. The fins are extremely light and larger than I thought they would be. Very neat looking.

I will test them in the water tonight or within the next two days.

Summary of sizes: My typical shoe size, US mens' 11.5 wide. Fin size, XL, US mens' 12-13.