Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Links and References
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2015

aydonald
Default watches and GPS devices for swimming - advice?

Hi - In the winter I'm a lap swimmer and as soon as I can I try to get back to open freshwater swimming in upstate New York. What are some good watches and GPS devices for swimmers? I got a Misfit Speedo Shine which helps me keep track on laps (as I focus on alignment, spearing, etc., I tend to lose count...) but that device won't be at all useful when I swim in the local lakes. I've also had problems in the past with some watches when I've worn them in ocean surf just to time my very fun if infrequent ocean swims: twice I've had Timex Ironman watches leak or otherwise break down if I've been in surf. Thank you for any advice and suggestions!
Old 12-22-2015
jSmith

I use a Swimovate Poolmate 2 watch which I got at Proswimwear earlier this month. It is a great device for swimming with some cool features in it. I can recommend you to use it too.
Old 08-30-2016
mcarmodii

For open water swimming, maybe try a Garmin Swim or Garmin Forerunner 920XT. Try this site - http://bestfitnesswatches.mywebpal.com
Old 09-03-2016
ScoopUK

For open water I use one of those buoys you tow behind you. It doesn't affect your balance or alter buoyancy in any one, you don't even know you are towing it. On that I put my cheap Garmin Forerunner 10 GPS running watch. As it always has line of sight with the sky the path it records is spot on unlike wearing GPS on your wrist. Obviously it wont record thing like stroke rate but I don't like to swim with things on my wrist anyway and you can always pop a tempo trainer in your swim cap. That's my perfect combo.
Old 11-25-2016
mcarmodii

Back on the Garmin, found this website that goes through the top 10 Garmin fitness trackers, from beginner to the super fit warriors http://garminfitnesstracker.com/

for open water, garmin fr920xt, fenix 3 and fr735xt are great options to consider. All 3 have GPS and other features.