Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you swim with goggles or mask?
Mostly swim using goggles 7 87.50%
Mostly swim using a mask 0 0%
Depends what I'm doing 1 12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-02-2016
ScoopUK

Default Goggles vs Mask

This isn't specific to freestyle but as this is the most active sub-group thought I'd post this here:

Who uses goggles and who uses a mask such as the Aqua Sphere Seal or Vista?

I personally use both. I tend to use goggles in the pool as I'm conscious of a mask being a bit dorky looking but I quite like using a mask in open water, particularly if the water is cold. I like that a mask has less pressure against the face compared to my goggles which I have to do up quite tight but I have noticed my mask can leak if I don't get the seal seated nicely. I can't wear 2 swim caps with my current mask for example.

Any other pros/cons?

I've never tried swedes although I know many people love them. Not sure I'd know how to set them up. Think I'd rather take a stray hand or heel to the face in a mask though in a mass start swim.

Do you swim in a swim cap? I don't in the pool as my pool is too warm and it's too much of a distraction when it keeps slipping but I do in open water for warmth and to be seen. I have shaved grade zero hair anyway.
Old 06-02-2016

descending

We had a guy try to wear the Aqua Sphere mask off the blocks a few years ago. Kept coming off his head no matter how much he tightened them so beware if you are racing any meets practice with the mask first so you don't ruin your day b/f it starts! I have been wearing Swedes for 30 years fits my eye sockets like a glove.
Old 06-02-2016
ScoopUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by descending View Post
We had a guy try to wear the Aqua Sphere mask off the blocks a few years ago. Kept coming off his head no matter how much he tightened them so beware if you are racing any meets practice with the mask first so you don't ruin your day b/f it starts! I have been wearing Swedes for 30 years fits my eye sockets like a glove.
That's interesting. Maybe it's the fit? Bizarrely you aren't allowed to dive at my pool but I do race starts off a pontoon at the lake wearing Vistas and they've been okay. I do make sure the strap is under my swim cap though. I have had problems with goggles leaking as they come loose doing aggressive flip turns or dives if I have the strap outside the swim cap. Generally goggles are more stable though. Maybe it's because of the drag? The top of the frame grabs the water more than a sleak pair of goggles I'd imagine.

I must try swedes. I like simplicity and they aren't expensive so certainly worth experimenting.
Old 06-02-2016

IngeA

I wear goggles and I had to test a lot to find some who are tight on my face.
I never tested a mask. I thought of, but then I found the goggles which I wear now.
I always wear a swim cap, even in the pool. It's only to be seen, I flip over the edges because I don't like it when the edges of the cap reach over my ears. So the lower strap is under the fliped over edge of the cap.
I never had problems of loosing the goggles not even when diving.
Old 06-03-2016

Richardsk

I almost always wear goggles (of various kinds, mostly Zoggs but also Kiefer (Swedish type). For pool swimming I prefer goggles but in the sea I would wear a mask. I think goggles are a very personal thing. You have to find a type that fits well on your particular face. For me the best I've found are Zoggs Predator. I usually manage to organize a pair for my birthday or Christmas. I like the Swedish type for backstroke. I also like that they are very cheap and will last more or less forever if you treat them right.
Old 06-03-2016

descending

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopUK View Post
That's interesting. Maybe it's the fit? Bizarrely you aren't allowed to dive at my pool but I do race starts off a pontoon at the lake wearing Vistas and they've been okay. I do make sure the strap is under my swim cap though. I have had problems with goggles leaking as they come loose doing aggressive flip turns or dives if I have the strap outside the swim cap. Generally goggles are more stable though. Maybe it's because of the drag? The top of the frame grabs the water more than a sleak pair of goggles I'd imagine.

I must try swedes. I like simplicity and they aren't expensive so certainly worth experimenting.
It's surprising the amount of force a not clean entry off the blocks can put on the face. I despise caps way too hot, but even at that my goggles stay on. I can see how a larger mask like that could get yanked off with a less than optimal position.
Old 06-03-2016

lloyddinma

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopUK View Post
This isn't specific to freestyle but as this is the most active sub-group thought I'd post this here:

Who uses goggles and who uses a mask such as the Aqua Sphere Seal or Vista?

I personally use both. I tend to use goggles in the pool as I'm conscious of a mask being a bit dorky looking but I quite like using a mask in open water, particularly if the water is cold. I like that a mask has less pressure against the face compared to my goggles which I have to do up quite tight but I have noticed my mask can leak if I don't get the seal seated nicely. I can't wear 2 swim caps with my current mask for example.

I hate googles. After trying the mask for the first time last year, I have never gone back. I see better in the water! Inaddition the issue i had with tightness is non-existent.

I read these amazon reviews about people complaining about them leaking, but that has happened to me, only when I wear googles. I think it might boil down to the shape of your face.

Interestingly, I lost one of my two Aqua Sphere Seal Masks and just ordered another pair two days ago. :) I only found out when I got to the pool and had to use lost-and found googles. I was reminded of why the mask is better!!

The first one I saw was in that Terry video!

Stillness is the greatest revelation.
-- Lao Tzu
The light of the body is the eye.
-- J. Ch__st.
Old 06-03-2016

sclim

I have never found any mask* that didn't tend to leak at the most inconvenient moment. Even goggles are hard to fit well for me -- it turns out I have a narrow/small face. The junior sized goggles tend to fit really well, and the seal tolerates even grimacing of my face or wrinkling around the eyes which spells sure leakage for masks.

Too bad, because I really like the panoramic view of the masks -- but the leak-proneness is an absolute deal-breaker.

*Except for a scuba/snorkelling type mask which is really huge and tends to seal more around the side of the face.
Old 06-03-2016

IngeA

aqua-sphere has masks for kids and teens. My daughter like hers more than her goggles.
Could be worth a try.
Old 06-03-2016

sclim

Quote:
Originally Posted by IngeA View Post
aqua-sphere has masks for kids and teens. My daughter like hers more than her goggles.
Could be worth a try.
Does the fact that the mask sticks out more than goggles, or at least it seems to me to have much a much less smooth form profile, correspond to having significantly more water drag?