Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-03-2009
elk-tamer elk-tamer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 102
elk-tamer
Default Baseline video for critique

I'm posting this to set a reference for any progress I may make:
Video
I think the biggest thing I'm doing wrong is not reaching, and I think that may be partially due to lack of flexibility.
I'd love to hear any other opinions though.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-03-2009
westyswoods westyswoods is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Rio, Wisconsin
Posts: 564
westyswoods
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk-tamer View Post
I'm posting this to set a reference for any progress I may make:
Video
I think the biggest thing I'm doing wrong is not reaching, and I think that may be partially due to lack of flexibility.
I'd love to hear any other opinions though.
Flexibility was a large problelm for me due to previous inujuries. One of the ways I worked through it was repetitive drills with focal points on streamlining. Still am. It is difficult to tell from video but appears as though you are crossing center with your hand entry and not keeping a wide track. Again drills with patient hands and focal points of wide track should help
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-03-2009
andreasl33 andreasl33 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 193
andreasl33
Default

I agree with westyswoods, you are crossing over. Be aware that your feel my betray you: You may feel like extending straight forward at shoulder width, when you are actually extending to the center or beyond that.
Also note that body rotation might bring your arm to the center: You are supposed to extend straight forward and at a downward angle of, maybe 10-20 degrees relative to the surface of the water. But as soon as you rotate, this downward angle becomes an inward angle. As you spend most time on the sides, it is important to extend in a way that is still straight forward and slightly downward once your body is rotated.
I would also recommend to work on a 2-beat-kick. This won't work in the short term, but take your time. It helped me tremendously. The kick acts to stabilize your body in the water. Once you reduce the kick, all kinds of instabilities become visible and you can work on eliminating them. It is better to weed them out at the root, rather than patch them over with a vigorous kick. Once you have attained a more stable body posture, you can still decide to use a 6-beat-kick for short distances if you want to.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-03-2009
elk-tamer elk-tamer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 102
elk-tamer
Default

Thanks for the tips. I never really knew what "2BK" was, but now I found a video in an old post http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJpFVvho0o4. I'm going to try and work on those two things over the next week.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-03-2009
shuumai shuumai is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 1,077
shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai
Default

Just take the wideness of the kick and apply it to the arms and take the narrowness of the arms and apply it to the kick. hehe
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-03-2009
elk-tamer elk-tamer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 102
elk-tamer
Default

Went to the pool and found that the two beat kick is pure gold. The timing seems easy enough; I'm using the kick just slightly before the opposite arm to help throw the hand forward(correct?) but it feels like I'm kicking more from my knees than I was before. I'm sure there's a bounty of 2BK threads though, I'll search those.
It's strange feeling like you're motionless in the pool for most of the time. There was a guy in the next lane doing my usual wrestling alligators routine and if he hadn't been there for reference I don't think I'd have known I was moving some of the time.
I started off doing ~70s/50m but soon went back to 55s, which is normal for me, and I was far less out of breath.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-04-2009
splashingpat splashingpat is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 589
splashingpat
Default always something to work on! i guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk-tamer View Post
Went to the pool and found that the two beat kick is pure gold.
The timing seems easy enough;
I'm using the kick just slightly before the opposite arm to help throw the hand forward(correct?) but it feels like I'm kicking more from my knees than I was before.
I'm sure there's a bounty of 2BK threads though, I'll search those.
It's strange feeling like you're motionless in the pool for most of the time. There was a guy in the next lane doing my usual wrestling alligators routine and if he hadn't been there for reference I don't think I'd have known I was moving some of the time.
I started off doing ~70s/50m but soon went back to 55s,
which is normal for me, and I was far less out of breath.
Congratulations on finding the 2beat kick...and the timing is easy,
but was never told to me! (or many others)
Yes sounds seem like the timing is right!
now I guess you need to straighten the leg of the kick!
me,
Pat
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-04-2009
Noydberg Noydberg is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5
Noydberg
Default

Hi elk-tamer,

Although your bodyline looks good as a result of your swimming with your head down, here are 3 things i noticed from your stroke:

1. Your swim is still quite flat and it's still most of your arms and legs propelling you forward - you can work on your rotation to reduce your stroke count per lap

2. Your arm strokes are still hand-led - you can work on an elbow-led stroke and steeper and cleaner entry, this will also contribute to more rotation in your stroke

3. You can improve your front quadrant timing and work on "swimming longer" by keeping your leading arm much more patient and wait until the other hand is just about to pierce the water.

..For item 1, skating would be the best drill to work on your balance and improve your rotation. For item 2, the zipperswitch drills would be the best to imprint your elbow-led stroke. For item 3, doing a lot of underswitches and zipperswitch drills should greatly improve your FQT.

Hope that helps!

N
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-04-2009
elk-tamer elk-tamer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 102
elk-tamer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noydberg View Post
Hi elk-tamer,

Although your bodyline looks good as a result of your swimming with your head down, here are 3 things i noticed from your stroke:

1. Your swim is still quite flat and it's still most of your arms and legs propelling you forward - you can work on your rotation to reduce your stroke count per lap

2. Your arm strokes are still hand-led - you can work on an elbow-led stroke and steeper and cleaner entry, this will also contribute to more rotation in your stroke

3. You can improve your front quadrant timing and work on "swimming longer" by keeping your leading arm much more patient and wait until the other hand is just about to pierce the water.

..For item 1, skating would be the best drill to work on your balance and improve your rotation. For item 2, the zipperswitch drills would be the best to imprint your elbow-led stroke. For item 3, doing a lot of underswitches and zipperswitch drills should greatly improve your FQT.

Hope that helps!

N
Noyd,
Those all sound correct. I feel like I'm rotating, but the video shows I'm not. Drills 1 & 3 seem to require shoulder flexibility than I think I lack, especially in my right arm. My freestyle DVD's are in the mail, but I think my biggest challenge is going to be getting the range of motion to have both arms in front and at the right angle.
-John
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.