Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2012

amynigh
Default Help with stroke , please!

I have a video of one lap posted at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qIAW...ature=youtu.be
Any help or tips at all are appreciated.
I am going very slow along my way in the pool and want to improve on efficiency and technique. Thanks!
Old 06-17-2012

daveblt

There seems to be quite a few things going on with your stroke .First it seems that your head is a bit too low and you may be pushing it down instead of letting it relax. Then when you go to breathe it appears you are lifting your head at the end of the breath and over rolling to your side which makes your legs sink a little. This is also making it hard to maintain a patient lead hand when you go to breathe and your pulling hand crosses under your body to the opposite side . Your arm entry in to the water is also a bit too narrow. It should enter more in front of the shoulder . When you are not breathing your stroke seems to be a little better.

Dave
Old 06-17-2012

WinnAngela

I think you are close. You don't appear to be fighting the water and your kick isn't bad.

Try wider tracks. Everything looks pretty good until you breath. Your lead arm pushes down too soon, so it's possibly a balance issue, as Daveblt suggested, like your head position being low. Maybe you could work on Skate and SMG, so you can imprint your target and find balance. Sometimes, using a TT at 1:30, or a slower tempo than you are accustomed to will help you find balance.

Of course, I defer to Daveblt and other senior members, so if they disagree with me, I would be more inclined to listen to them.
Old 06-18-2012

amynigh

Thanks for the feedback. My friend and I had diagnosed it needing wider tracks and deeper hand, arm. I think I am pushing my head down and will work on just relaxing it. I have been noticing it is really tough to keep the lead arm in it's place when I turn to breath. Also I was surprised by how much I am kicking since it fells like almost no kick.... plenty to work on here.
Old 06-18-2012

Zoner

Hi,
Work on balance drills a bit, then try the catch up drill. That will help keep your hand higher in the water to help stabilize your body while breathing. Once your elbows drop that soon in the pull, you've lost power to move forward. I agree with wider tracks also. You might be a good candidate for a few laps with a snorkel so you can concentrate and actually watch your hand entry, purchase of the water and high elbows. Body roll and rotation can come later. Good luck.
Old 06-19-2012

mjm
Default Horizontal

Amy: lots of folks would love to swim with your long arms and legs and slim body. It means your potential streamline position will be more efficient than someone with shorter arms or legs.

So when you look at your video do you see a horizontal position? Are the hands, arms, head, hips and feet all aligned on a straight line? If they were, you would be "balanced" in the water.

Let's say there are two types of balance: head to toe and side to side. You need to work on both but If I were you I would start with head to toe.

Some swimmers have acute proprioception skills so they can feel the relative position of their extremeties in the water. Most, including me, cannot. So you could ask your camera person friend to help you. In shallow water assume what you feel is a horizontal "superman" position in the water. Have you friend lightly touch those parts: hand, head, hips, feet that are NOT aligned. That touch alerts you to 'fix" that body part out of alignment. Then have your friend gently push you forward from the feet. Glide in that horizontal position as long as possible. Repeat until that position is imprinted and can be assumed without help. Think 1,000 repetitions. Yes. 1,000. Over days, weeks, whatever it takes.

Progress further. Glide then take two strokes. If your entire head drops 3 or so inches below the surface--as it does now because it follows your stroking arm--then you will *feel* it because you imprinted a horizontal position in your glide practice.

Further: glide two strokes and take a breath. You won't have to turn your head and torso 90 degrees (as you do now) because your head will be closer to the surface. When you breathe you will keep your lead arm extended straight out from the shoulder to greatly improve your balance (head to toe and side to side) and you will find it much easier to breathe.

While breathing when you keep that lead arm extended straight out from the shoulder then your arm won't cross over the center--as it does now. The line from your fingertips to your toes will be long, straight, perfect and you won't believe how easy swimming can be. Continue gliding, stroking, breathing until you swim a length, then 2, 3, so on. Good luck. mjm

Last edited by mjm : 06-20-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old 06-20-2012

amynigh

Thank you!! thanks for that thorough list of things to try, and for the encouragement.
I will work on the drills some more and enjoy the process as it gets easier!

Funny how terribly our proprioception can goof us up. I am thinking and feeling like I'm doing it all straight and tall and aligned, but the camera doesn't lie.
Amy
Old 06-21-2012

mjm
Default Lindsey Benko

Amy: you might look at this video showing Lindsey Benko who also has long arms and legs. Her horizontal position in the water as well as her reach, rhythm, and relaxation are exceptional. Something to visualize before a swim. Best regards, mjm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYKBfXM5Ckk
Old 06-25-2012

amynigh

A bit of progress to report, I swam 1k in an Aquathon 3 weeks ago, then a few days ago using your tips I was almost 2 minutes better! I'm still very slow, but seeimprovement from your tips! Plus I was having some shoulder discomfort, and that has totally gone away since trying to have wider tracks. Thanks