Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2012

keith44
Default Breathing tips and drills for beginner TI

Have an aggressive goal to swim an ironman distance in 3 months... Would appreciate some beginners tips for breathing. I'm starting with now prior swimming / breathing experience. I love swimming TI ( never thought I would enjoy it as much as I have these last two weeks). I've read a handful of threads... Relaxing being one of them... For me a do this list is helpful. Open to buying a DVD if shows how to breath properly as well. Thank u all. Much appreciated. Didn't think i would be someone who would enjoy the water as much as I am anticipating.
Old 06-24-2012

kalinma

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith44 View Post
Open to buying a DVD if shows how to breath properly as well.
There is a TI DVD available on breathing called "O2 in H2O." I haven't watched it all the way through, but if it's as good as the "Perpetual Motion Freestyle" DVD, it should be very helpful.
Old 06-24-2012

Richardsk

Hi

In my opinion the secret to breathing is to take it easy and concentrate on breathing out while your mouth is under the water. Start with superman glides and stand when you need to breathe at first. Then try rolling to the side and stroking back to the thigh, turning your head enough to bring one goggle out of the water. If you can't get air at first don't worry. You'll probably find it easier on one side than on the other. That's normal. Keep doing it to both sides, though. Concentrate on not lifting the head but turning the head to follow the shoulder of the stroking arm. Think of looking over your shoulder. The mouth should clear the water more or less when the hand reaches the thigh. You can do the 'Popeye' breath - twisting your mouth as though you were talking out of the corner of your mouth like Popeye (if you remember him). It's not strictly necessary but often seen with top swimmers.

I'm sure the breathing DVD would be worth the money, but I haven't seen it myself.

It's also a good idea to watch lots of video, including of course the ones with Terry, Shinji and other TI coaches.
Old 06-24-2012

WFEGb

Hi Keith44,

three months is an ambitious goal, but why not?

My mantra in such cases now for you:

- Terry's O2toH2O will be helpfull in many ways. Maybe it will not solve all your breathing problems, but you'll get your way for solution... (In my case just having it at home was the necessary "TI-stroke" forward...)
- Don't miss RonM77's thread "Getting out of breath".

Regards,
Werner
Old 06-25-2012

keith44

Thanks for all of your input. Relaxing must be my big thing. My rib area feels tight most of the time (like there's constant pressure on it).
I've generally been working on form and such breathing out lightly for about 10-12 yrds at a time.
When I started practicing one goggle out (simulating that I was going to breath), I would get water in my nose and my head typically would come up (and feet would go down). Have a strong dislike for the water in nose feeling... tried a nose plug but felt very restricted. Attempting to take a breath seems rushed deal and my form goes out of wack.
Will continue the journey...
Should get video soon.
Thanks for all your support!
Old 06-25-2012

Janos

Keith, you need to master the diaphragmatic breath, which will help on the bike and run too.
Relax the diaphragm and allow air to enter lungs without a conscious drawing in of air. i.e breathe properly! You can do it when your abs are tense too. Which will occur when you are driving body forward during freestyle. You need to avoid taking shallow breaths continually, and you should avoid using a nose clip. Your constant exhalation underwater should keep your nostrils clear of water.

Regards

Janos
Old 06-26-2012

keith44

I was watching some video of myself... I should have added that I played linebacker in college (broad shoulders). Noticed how limited my shoulder rotation is. Also noticed I could take longer strokes (look rushed and not stretching out as far as I could). Working progress. Will read some of the posts on "broad shoulders"
Old 06-26-2012

Richardsk

I have found that breathing to both sides is a great help with getting a clean recovery on the 'wrong' side. I, too, have broad shoulders and limited mobility (used to be a Rugby forward). I'm not sure what a line backer is, but I suspect they are giants among giants. Alain Bernard, also known as Le Géant, has pretty broad shoulders and lots of upper body musculature but it doesn't seem to slow him down much.