Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013

andyinnorway
Default Core Warm ups

The last 6 weeks I've been doing a lot more abdominal work after being made aware of P90x by Coach Suzanne.

They have a 15 minute program called Ab ripper X which I do sometimes in the morning and sometimes in the evening, probably 3 times a week.

I've discovered that the days I do them first thing and then go training within an hour (swimming or running) I have a great session because that area of my body feels ready to perform, leading me to think that warming the core up with abdominal exercises before competition is a good idea?

Any experiences or words of wisdom?
Old 03-17-2013

Janos

Andy, it might be because of the impact on areas of your core that were not previously stressed as much. When we stand and walk, or even sit, it is our upper abs that play a major part in keeping us upright. When we swim freestyle the dynamics change, and our lower abs are more engaged as they work to keep legs in line with our more buoyant upper body.

Janos
Old 03-17-2013
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Andy, I did ab ripper x last night and had hte best run in 6 months. OK...it was my ONLY run in 6 months, but it felt BETTER than any run in the year before...lots of reasons for that though. :)

I don't knwo that ab ripper X itself is the key to a pre swim activation, but it's well accepted in ex phys lit that active warmup prepares you to perform better than without.

Prior to runs I routinely do some ab muscle activation, along with the major leg muscle groups.

Prior to a cold swim start, I go through a similar isometric contraction routine that includes my abs.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 03-19-2013
Coach

CoachDavidShen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
Andy, I did ab ripper x last night and had hte best run in 6 months. OK...it was my ONLY run in 6 months, but it felt BETTER than any run in the year before...lots of reasons for that though. :)

I don't knwo that ab ripper X itself is the key to a pre swim activation, but it's well accepted in ex phys lit that active warmup prepares you to perform better than without.

Prior to runs I routinely do some ab muscle activation, along with the major leg muscle groups.

Prior to a cold swim start, I go through a similar isometric contraction routine that includes my abs.
I would agree - sometimes our nervous system needs a bit of warm up for max performance.

I had the Functional Movement Screen done to me and I started on some correctives, one of which was the Hard Roll:

http://youtu.be/bGgBdxs4m90

After doing this a few times, it totally woke my core and literally fixed my left side propulsion problem within a week, even as I was drilling incenssantly for months without much improvement. (left side propulsion problem means i would have more propulsion with my right spear than my left). it fixed a coordination problem i had with my left spear/body rotation/2BK that I could not fix through more drilling.

I became a believer and certified in FMS and think that a lot of swimming problems can be improved on dryland by fixing imbalances in the body.

The funny thing about these correctives is that they can wake the nervous system and you can see instant improvement via the FMS before and after performing the corrective. I believe this translates directly to swimming and other activities where you can perform some exercise(s) before the activity and see instant results.