Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2011

foxjohng
Default psyche yourself out

I was able to increase my distance significantly by employing one psychological trick: instead of counting lengths of the pool, I decided to swim a certain number of strokes, which I set approximately equal to the number of lengths I wanted to swim, multiplied by the number of strokes per lap. For some reason, this was easier than counting laps, and I easily broke through a plateau.
Old 07-01-2011

naj

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxjohng View Post
I was able to increase my distance significantly by employing one psychological trick: instead of counting lengths of the pool, I decided to swim a certain number of strokes, which I set approximately equal to the number of lengths I wanted to swim, multiplied by the number of strokes per lap. For some reason, this was easier than counting laps, and I easily broke through a plateau.
Congratulations. Can you explain a bit more in detail about how you did it?
Old 07-01-2011

foxjohng
Default psyche yourself out

Let's suppose you're having trouble swimming farther than 100m, and that your stroke count is 20 in a 25m pool. Instead of saying to yourself "I'm going to try to swim six lengths (150m), you tell yourself "I'm going to swim 120 strokes."

For some reason (for me, at least), it's easier to swim the distance based on strokes; maybe it's because a stroke is a lot shorter than a length, and you're breaking the task up into much smaller increments. Instead of telling yourself "I've got two lengths left," you think "I've got another 40 strokes left," and it seems less difficult.

As a side benefit, the focus on strokes allows me to cycle through focal points (say, every 20 strokes) as I swim.
Old 07-02-2011

naj

Interesting approach thanks for the insight.

Naji
Old 07-03-2011

eganov

That will work for a while because it's new. Eventually though you will have the same barrier whether its laps or strokes. Try getting a lap counting watch (swimmate or Finis) and you can get your mind off counting anything.