Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2011

DesertDog
Default Reverse Focus 2 Beat

Lately, Iíve been focusing on the nonkicking leg during the 2 beat kick. What it should it be doing? Sometimes mine goes through all these little micro conniptions. I imagine itís suppose to be relaxed, streamline and motionless. What do you think?
Old 07-04-2011

westyswoods
Default Not So Idle Leg

DesertDog,

Oh sounds so familiar. You described it to the tee, "Sometimes mine goes through all these little micro conniptions."

I had some underwater video taken yesterday. Results being disappointing as reality does not match what I feel.

To the two beat kick it is better than some time ago. Feels like I am very stable and not kicking off leg at all with a very small kick on active side. What shows is exactly what you describe as micro conniptions with the off leg and much greater knee bend on the active side.

I think I am going to attempt no kick at all, I have worked on it in the past when trying to keep legs together.

In totality the video was a disappointment in that my stroke is worse now than a couple of months ago.

I have no explanation other than my pool was closed for six weeks and I was doing a lot of OW some with wetsuit, bottom line is I've regressed and need to refocus.

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy

Last edited by westyswoods : 07-04-2011 at 07:07 PM. Reason: correction
Old 07-05-2011

daveblt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
dus. I imagine itís suppose to be relaxed, streamline and motionless. What do you think?
Basically that's about all the leg should do as it is waiting for the downbeat. As the leg approaches the top of the upbeat it should probably bend just slightly and then straighten back out as the downbeat starts.

Dave
Old 07-05-2011

gladtobedifferent
Default 2 beat kick

OK - saw my coach last week and he told me two things
a) I am completely bending at my knee but he said he understood that it was useful for me to feel when I was doing the kick as part of integrating it as a natural part of my stroke
b) I am doing it at the wrong point - ie after I have started the rotation rather than the start of my rotation

So - b) I am guessing I solve by doing when the opposite hand enters the water

For a) - not sure how to stop this - I see my coach sort of flick his leg with a small knee bend and thought this was what I was doing - but no I am doing a full 90 degree bend. Leg kicking for me never been great which is why I love TI as I dont have to do it any more - except for the 2 beat and I have this wrong.

If I think about just pushing my bottom leg forward as the coach suggests it does not feel like a kick and I find it difficult

Please please please some suggestions - as if I can fix both the above I am just down to building in the catch and being relaxed for my breathing !!

3 weeks til my next Tri - in open water and really want to do it feeling like my swimming, if not faster (13.30 for 400m last time), is easier, less effort and feels better.

Help please
Old 07-05-2011

sterlingtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
Lately, Iíve been focusing on the nonkicking leg during the 2 beat kick. What it should it be doing? Sometimes mine goes through all these little micro conniptions. I imagine itís suppose to be relaxed, streamline and motionless. What do you think?
... but could it be that the nonkicking leg should be tight (and stretched), streamlined and motionless? It it not easier to anchor a leg that is tight and controlled rather than one that is relaxed and floppy? Also, what should be the separation between the two legs?

I feel that my results are better if my legs are a few inches apart and both are tensioned.
Old 07-06-2011

AWP

One can focus on putting as much distance between the extending arm/hand and the same side foot/extended toes. This should put enough "tone" in the leg and allow a segue focus on hip drive as the recovering arm (opposite side) moves forward.
There should be a bracing feeling under the foot (actually top of foot, where you tie your laces:-P) as you ready the downbeat/flick.
It's a small but 'powerful' movement/assistant to the rest of the kinetic cycle.
The leg on the recovery side should remain as still as possible yet not really 'held' but allowed to counter the movement of the opposite leg.
Your lateral balance and any issues with this will come into play here.
Fully extending the lead arm while recovering on "wide tracks" will assist in this process.