Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > O2 in H20: Breathing Skills
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2010

anjaswim
Default two beginners questions

Hello,

I've been practicing only for a few weeks and I have a couple of beginners question:

1. One of the hardest things for me relearning the movement for breathing. One of the things I've noticed that more water gets up my nose when I reenter into the water after taking a breath. I can start exhaling thru my nose immediately but then I'm shorter on breath. Any suggestions? (Aside from buying one of those nose clips...)

2. This is a harder problem (and kinda silly): I get cold too fast: Lots of the practice is done slowly. The slower and more relaxed I am the faster I get cold. The remedy is of course to swim a few laps fast but I feel like it undermines my learning of new patters (because I'm going back to my old style as soon as I just swim to get warm). Any suggestions? (I swim in a pool that is 27 degrees Celsius, that's about as warm as they get here in Germany)

Thanks so much!
-Anja
Old 02-15-2010

ames

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjaswim View Post
Hello,

I've been practicing only for a few weeks and I have a couple of beginners question:

1. One of the hardest things for me relearning the movement for breathing. One of the things I've noticed that more water gets up my nose when I reenter into the water after taking a breath. I can start exhaling thru my nose immediately but then I'm shorter on breath. Any suggestions? (Aside from buying one of those nose clips...)

2. This is a harder problem (and kinda silly): I get cold too fast: Lots of the practice is done slowly. The slower and more relaxed I am the faster I get cold. The remedy is of course to swim a few laps fast but I feel like it undermines my learning of new patters (because I'm going back to my old style as soon as I just swim to get warm). Any suggestions? (I swim in a pool that is 27 degrees Celsius, that's about as warm as they get here in Germany)
When the water is chilly (and even if it isn't) I swim several laps of breaststroke to warm up. Though I enjoy swimming it, I don't care too much about my form so there's no pressure to do it perfectly. I do try to have a nice and smooth TI-like form but it is more just something different to do while my main focus is freestyle. Kicking fast on my back gets the blood flowing too. You can do breaststroke kick on your back. Or play with underwater body dolphins... But I agree that swimming fast freestyle with poor technique is not a good idea. And it is really hard to start your practice with a supposedly "relaxing" Superman Glide when your body is cold and tense.

As for question #1 I will defer to others with more insight. I have found that when I concentrate on keeping my head really low on the breath I get water up my nose too.

ames
Old 02-15-2010

Richardsk

Hello Anja

A tee shirt or rash vest may help to keep you warmer. The extra drag may not matter so much if you are swimming slowly.If you breathe out through your nose whenever it is submerged no water can get in. If this is too difficult at present a nose clip can be a temporary solution.

Kicking on your back or in a vertical float position will also help to get the blood flowing and keep you warm.

Richard
Old 02-16-2010

daveblt

An incorrect breathing pattern is causing you to get water in your nose.The very second your face renters the water you have start exhaling and you continue exhaling until your face rolls back to the air . Just before you inhale at the surface blow away the last residual bit of air in your lungs .

Dave
Old 02-16-2010

machelett

If you live in a densely populated area, you might also want to check out the spas. A few of those have surprisingly large pools with warm water, around or above 30°C. (e.g. my personal favorite: http://www.vierordtbad.info/0start.htm)

Regular pools might also have a non-swimmer section with warm water.
Depending on the time of day, usually early in the morning or late in the evening, you can have an entire small pool to yourself for drilling. When you intend to swim a few laps, just switch to the lap pool.

Renato
Old 03-04-2010

rbehnan@mi.rr.com
Default Anja brought up nose clip

I am a beginner in ti I have the book and the cds easy freestyle and o2 in h2o. My ? is if I have to wear a nose clip and cannot exhale from my nose can I do lap freestyle swimming? Will this make it impossible for me to inhale properly. I am 70 and participate in a regular cardio spin class, treadmill etc

Rams
Old 03-04-2010

daveblt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbehnan@mi.rr.com View Post
I am a beginner in ti I have the book and the cds easy freestyle and o2 in h2o. My ? is if I have to wear a nose clip and cannot exhale from my nose can I do lap freestyle swimming? Will this make it impossible for me to inhale properly. I am 70 and participate in a regular cardio spin class, treadmill etc

Rams

You will be able to breathe better without the nose clips , however if you absolutely have to at this stage then the only thing you can do is inhale and exhale through the mouth .You may feel as if you have to stop and catch your breath more often.The best bet is to learn a proper breathing rhythm and get rid of the clips.

Dave
Old 03-07-2010

rbehnan@mi.rr.com
Default thanks for the advice

I came to the conclusion that I`m not ready for advanced breathing in freestyle and need to return to the drills. I should stay with underswitchs to zipper and perfect better balance wearing a nose clip remaining ,for now in sweet spot until my body is head to toe is parallel to the surface. I will keep you psted on my progress.
Ramsey
Old 03-10-2010

Mick84

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveblt View Post
An incorrect breathing pattern is causing you to get water in your nose.The very second your face renters the water you have start exhaling and you continue exhaling until your face rolls back to the air . Just before you inhale at the surface blow away the last residual bit of air in your lungs .

Dave
I agree completely. Also, do not get a nose clip! It gives you a false sense of security. You don't need a nose clip to learn proper breathing. Also, it could be a number of things going wrong with your stroke as well, as to why your breathing is off. For instance, the head position may be too far out of the water, your kick may be completely submerged. Pay attention to those things as well, while you are breathing. Also, the timing of your breathing may be off. Whenever you swim freestyle, you want to breath during recovery, which happens when the elbow is up, hand down, and is coming over the head.