Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2009

Noydberg
Default Need for Speed

Hi,

I've embraced the concept of TI for the past 2 years and have become a firm believer in swim efficiency, having a graceful stroke, enjoying every lap, etc. I usually practice in a 25m pool and can consistently do a lap in 13 strokes. Thanks to your drills and methodology, have been very happy with the results and what they've done for my stroke, not to mention how much I've really I enjoyed swimming again (coming from a competitive swimming background in my younger years, wouldn't touch the water for quite some time when I stopped swimming competitively).

Now here's my question - how do I work on my speed? In a long swim, I can maintain a pace of 1:20 per 100m at the same stroke rate, but as I try to go any faster than that, my shoulders start to stiffen up, and my swim starts to feel closer to a struggle than feeling the smooth, gliding sensation that we're always after. Are there any workouts/sets you can recommend that focuses on increasing one's speed or pace, or land exercises which can strengthen the same shoulder muscles used for the arm stroke?

Thanks,
Noy