Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2012

pgabus
Default Video : Need help to improve

Hi,
here is a video of my actual TI Freestyle :
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8439427/free.MOV

I started my TI journey 18 months ago, the length of the pool is 25m, I set my TT @1.35, my SPL is 16 (sometimes is 15). If you have some advices to give, I would be very happy.

Thanks,
Pascal
PS : Sorry for my poor english !

Last edited by pgabus : 02-16-2012 at 10:55 PM.
Old 02-16-2012

daveblt

Looks great ! The only thing I see is your head may be a bit high .Otherwise nice and smooth !

Dave
Old 02-17-2012

boken

Hi Pascal. You look very smooth and comfortable in your stroke. One thing I can see is that it appears that you begin your pull phase a bit too early. Like at second 6 in the video your left (pulling) elbow has pulled to mid ribcage before your right spearing arm is even completely in the water. I think your spearing arm should be further into the spear by that point. You might experiment with delaying your pull just a bit and see if that helps.
Old 02-17-2012

daveblt

Quote:
Originally Posted by boken View Post
Hi Pascal. You look very smooth and comfortable in your stroke. One thing I can see is that it appears that you begin your pull phase a bit too early. Like at second 6 in the video your left (pulling) elbow has pulled to mid ribcage before your right spearing arm is even completely in the water. I think your spearing arm should be further into the spear by that point. You might experiment with delaying your pull just a bit and see if that helps.

I see the left arm pulling just a slight bit before the right arm pulls . Is it pulling too early though ? In my opinion I don't really think it is .

Dave
Old 02-18-2012

daveblt

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveblt View Post
I see the left arm pulling just a slight bit before the right arm pulls . Is it pulling too early though ? In my opinion I don't really think it is .

Dave

oops.. what I meant was .... I see the left arm pulling just a slight bit before the right arm ENTERS ....

(Sorry if this caused any confusion)

Dave
Old 02-17-2012

rbs24h

Quote:
Originally Posted by boken View Post
In theory, what is gained by pulling later? Thanks.
Old 02-17-2012
Coach

CoachPaulB
Default Patient hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs24h View Post
One of the fundamental concepts that TI teaches us is the importance of fore/aft balance. The recovery arm and hand need to be forward of the head while maintaining the spear/skate position. This in turn transfers weight of both arms in front of lungs and fore aft balance is attained. Pulling too early initiates unwanted side effects (no pun intended) one of which is the lead side of the body actually starts to fall due to effects of gravity. This in turn starts the legs to splay because the brain is saying "help"- compensate the front quadrant...it lost its support and needs to be counteracted. Finally the swimmer is going to be forced at some point to lift their head up and out of the water to breath and the laser lead gets to be a non laser bent wobbly thing that is perfect for moving water around and moving around in the water but not for effortless swimming . Hope that helps
Old 02-17-2012

tomoy

Bonjour Pascal - Wow. Nice. Good balance, kick. Beautiful recovery. Looks like TI swimming. Sometimes the head is a little high - not so much high in the water, but clearly you're looking forward more than straight down. Also, while it's difficult to see from this angle, it looks like your right arm enters well, but the left might be too much in front of your head. I think it could enter further left, on a wider track. But otherwise excellent.
Old 02-18-2012
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs24h View Post
Sorry, didn't read all the replies yet. OP's video looks really nice I also noticed one side pulling early.

it all depends on the tempo & desired pace. Pulling later (than the OP's 'early pull') provides more time in streamlining and thus less drag created, also 'compression' of the stroke phase. A stroke that languishes at the beginning from starting too early actually creates a lot of drag. Resultign propulsion is enough to overcome & move forward, but energy is wasted. Watch videos of shinji at various tempos to see how the timing of the stroke relates to both the entry of the opposite arm and also to the continuity of the udnerwater portion itself. hope that made sense.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 06-23-2012

pgabus

Hi,
I worked a lot on my swim since this old post, I made a lot of improvment.
Now my swim looks like this :
https://vimeo.com/44566503

I think that my head goes from left to right (and also up and down a little), do you know the reason for that ? and wich drill can I do to fix that ?

Thanks a lot

Pascal