Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Swimming In Triathlon
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2018
jfreejay

Default How close is too close (to race day) to "start" TI?

Hi Everybody,

I'm 2 1/2 weeks out from my first Half-Iron. Only been swimming about 15 months; certainly not very good at it; but I have worked at it enough (harder, not smarter) that I'm confident I can complete 1900 on race day.

I had already decided that following this race, I'll take the TI plunge for the next stage of my tri/swimming career. As reluctant as I am to change anything this close to race day ... now I am curious if there are any initial/basic TI principles I can (and should) work into these last weeks of training. Or am I better off just sucking it up, racing with the crappy stroke/balance/body position I've got, then diving into TI afresh after the race?

Thanks for your thoughts!

JFreejay
Old 03-23-2018

IngeA

I would begin after the race.
Working on balance and streamlining is good, but it can destroy your current stroke at first, even if it will improve it in whole in some time.
2 1/2 weeks is too short.

best regards

Inge
Old 03-25-2018
jfreejay

Thank you for your advice, Inge! I'm sure you're right. I had no delusions of changing my stroke mechanics at this late date ... but most of all I want to "do no harm." Think I'll just focus these last couple weeks on making a good shoulder rotation and keeping to a relaxed pace. I'm not out to qualify for South Africa or win a trophy here.

Just out of curiosity, how long should I expect before my (TI self-coached) stroke overhaul starts to pay dividends? Are we talking a few weeks or a few months?

Thanks!
Justin
Old 03-25-2018

IngeA

I'm sorry, that I can't answer this question. I never had to change an really imprinted stroke. I did one freestyle course for beginners and two weeks afterwards began with a TI self coaching from the beginning.

The other thing is, that I'm not a very ambitious swimmer. I'm in the pool not even every week. I want a niche techinque as far as I can get it. In good swimming times I'm not interested.

My advice came from my coach activities in Kung Fu. There we often have students with other styles who want to change. But the time taken in Kung Fu may not represent the time it takes to learn an other technique (philosophy?) in freestyle. It can work, but it can also mix all up. I would not take the risk.

Best regards

Inge
Old 03-25-2018

WFEGb

Hello jfreejay,

Quote:
Think I'll just focus these last couple weeks on making a good shoulder rotation and keeping to a relaxed pace...

Just out of curiosity, how long should I expect before my (TI self-coached) stroke overhaul starts to pay dividends? Are we talking a few weeks or a few months?
So let me suggest following: Try to focus on the following TI-drills for ten minutes (one at time) before you start your swimming:

- Elbow Swing
- Paint a Line
- Bull's Eye deep enough (fingertips jus below belly)

... and try to carry the relaxed feelings into your stroke. If you feel they're helpful take them as FPs with into the race. If not stay last time(hopefully) with your imprinted stroke. Otherwise they wan't hurt, if you can get a little less shoulder-stress from them...

Think from your posts (for the moment) nobody might tell how long it will to get a pay off from TI. Especially if your pay off is measured in faster time. Think you'll find relaxation and a different (better) feeling for your stroke fairly fast (some pool sessions to some weeks). Getting all parts working well together may take some (enjoyable) months. Otherwise: I sometimes somtimes swim for an hour with a former competetive swimmer. If I tell her any details to improve the TI-way, she does it at once perfectly. It doesn't become imprinted in her stroke, but she is able to feel the difference and can decide if she will work with it... (BTW even she sometimes said: Wow, why didn't I think/feel about and my former coaches didn't tell me...)

Have a happy race!

Best regards,
Werner
Old 03-27-2018
jfreejay

Thank you, Werner, for your thoughts and advice.

On a 20min open water swim yesterday (with sleeveless wetsuit), I maintained my same old stroke mechanics. But toward the end, I experimented for ~50yds with pressing the buoy. It was amazing to feel my legs pop immediately to the surface (even more than the wetsuit was already assisting). I see the Elbow Swing and Paint a Line drills, but where is the Bull's Eye drill illustrated?

I am curious also for your thoughts on how I should sequence my TI studies. To learn TI, I purchased Terry's (revised & updated) book and the 1.0 Effortless Endurance Self-Coaching Course. So far, I have read chapters 1-7 of the book--ch 8 contains the drill descriptions, though it appears most of them have changed either technique or terminology since 2004. I should probably rely on the 1.0 course for the latest thinking on the lessons/drills, correct? Is there a recommended sequence for reading portions of the eBook, time/reps to spend on the lessons, when to progress to the next lesson, triggers for when/how to refresh previous lessons, etc? For example, it seems the Lesson 1.x videos correspond with chapter 5 (Balance) of the eBook, and the Lesson 2.x videos appear to line up with chapter 8 (Armstroke Part 1). Lessons 4.x appear to complement chapter 11 ... but I don't see a clear corollary for the Lesson 3.x videos.

Am I overthinking this? Open to whatever advice you have for how I can get the most out of this amazing program! And yes, I will measure success primarily as a relaxing, better-feeling stroke that will eventually pick up speed.

Thanks again!
Justin
Old 03-27-2018

WFEGb

Hello Justin,

Quote:
I see the Elbow Swing and Paint a Line drills, but where is the Bull's Eye drill illustrated?
Bull's Eye is not a special drill. It's the target you should imagine where to your speared hand should go to. (One for right one for left.) With your shoulder problems I'd recommend to set both (should be at same depth) deep enough to be able to drift into a good catch without any force on your stretched out arm. (Let's say 5cm or 2in beneeth your belly button not narrower than shoulder width...)

The videos of 1.0 UEF are strongly related to the bundle's workbook. Terry discusses them fairly detailed and the links in the workbook are directed to the related video-scenes.

I'd recommend to work through the workbook step by step in its predetermined order. Sometimes Terry writes, when you should go on. I'd say: Be patient take some time with each drill until it gives you a somewhat familiar feeling. When you're reaching the point: "Can't get any improvement pay off (different feelings) for last sessions, go on with the next one... until the end... Then take the luxury and go through a second time. You'll be astonished how much has changed in your feelings and your stroke...

You're still used swimming longer distance. If any possible put some/many short rests in, reset your mind and focus in the felt things from your drills to get as many of this feelings into your whole stroke. When the Focus gets lost, take the next short reset-rest.

If possible you should have a talk or an eye-to-eye-lesson with a TI-Coach from time to time or join a TI-workshop.

Enjoy your way!

Best regards,
Werner
Old 03-27-2018
jfreejay

The workbook--of course! I'd totally forgotten about that download. I immediately dove into the book and even glanced through the image guide, but the workbook was the piece I was neglecting.

Thanks!