Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2010
Banned

Lawrence
Default When did you take up TI freestyle?

I began in March 2009. I had never really swum freestyle before.

Apologies if this seems a trivial thread but I would be interested in people's replies!
Old 11-29-2010

johnny.widen

I began in September 2010.
I was a competitive swimmer 1961-1967, with best results in breaststroke and medley.

-- Johnny
Old 11-29-2010

daveblt

I believe I started around the end of 1995 or beginning 1996 , read the original book Total Immersion , almost in one evening.

Dave
Old 11-30-2010
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

I started TI Camps in June 1989, but did not begin evolving toward our current approach to teaching freestyle until around 1992. In our first few years, TI camps were 4- to 5-day affairs held on college campuses in the summer. Attendees were mostly Masters swimmers and the majority had swum competitively in their youth. I believe we held our first freestyle-only program in 92, a 3-day long weekend, and our first weekend workshops that fall. It was at that time that we began formally teaching balance drills - "press your buoy" being the first.
I did a balance drill for the first time myself that year and it was an eye-opening experience. I spent the rest of the 90s working exclusively on Balance and Streamline. It wasn't until 2000 that I began working on Propulsion, a result of spending time with Shane Gould and studied her stroke while we swam together. I got an impression that her arm functioned as a very strong lever early in the stroke and knew we needed to figure out a way to help others do better with that part of the stroke.
After 21 years of Deep Practice, I have yet to detect any flattening in my TI learning curve.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 11-30-2010

Grant

Our paths crossed in the late 1990's and I have really found the books, DVDs and the Forum/Blogs to be great learning tools.
Old 11-30-2010

Mike from NS

In September 2006 after signing up for the Adult Beginner swim lessons at a local rec center, a library visit searching for anything on "how to swim" resulted in my introduction to the TI books and video.
Mike
Old 11-30-2010

nefis

September 2010...I've wanted to learn how to swim properly for a long time & finally decided to join a gym with a pool & get to it...2 weeks ago I got past the breathing hurdle and am now working my way towards a mile. Hoping to do a few open water swims next summer.
Old 11-30-2010

cynthiam

Took up TI freestyle in June 2009 on my own as I began to learn to swim at my local YMCA. No swimming experience before then. I had heard of TI somewhere but didn't know a thing about it until I googled and found Shinji's famous freestyle video. Saw that and knew I wanted to swim that way.

Took a TI beginner's weekend workshop in January 2010 and a 3-hour tune-up session this past August.

Still have a ways to go, especially re balance and breathing. Hope to take a few lessons w/Coach Shinji, but he's pretty popular!
Old 11-30-2010

Richardsk

My introduction to TI was in 2006. I had been a breaststroker (non-competitive) most of my life, having learned to swim in 1947 at age eleven, which is a bit late nowadays but was probably fairly normal in the 'forties. I swam a couple of breaststroke races in school in my late teens but was never a member of a swimming club and basically swam for fun in the summer. I read books about swimming though and really wanted to swim the crawl but could never manage a decent stroke because of an inability to do the flutter kick. Much later in the late 'sixties I read somewhere that the kick actually slowed a lot of less skilled swimmers down because it created drag rather than propulsion and had more success with the crawl by swimming without any kick at all.

In the early 'eighties I married for the second time and acquired a baby daughter soon afterwards. I began going to the pool with her when she was about three, and she soon learned to swim, first with arm bands and then without. At first there was not much opportunity for actual swimming but I would try a few strokes of crawl across the baby pool whenever I got a chance, in between being a whale, shark or crocodile. I began swimming regularly again in 2006 when I discovered that swimming was free for senior citizens and fell in with a bunch of regular swimmers, one of whom pointed me in the direction of Terry's book, which I bought and read and re-read and re-read and tried to apply its method, with some success.

That autumn I joined a masters club and in November swam in my first meet since my teens. I swam my first 1500m race in 2007, and have swum at least one 1500m race every year since. I attended a week-long TI course for all four strokes in 2007, I think, possibly 2008, but still failed to learn the butterfly properly. I have not given up yet, though.

At age 75 I am still making personal best times in some events.
Old 11-30-2010

haschu33

I started learning freestyle with the aid of the 'Easy Freestyle DVD' and this forum beginning of September 2009.