Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2010

sburman
Default New TI swimmer

Hi All

As way of background, I learnt to swim when I was young and have never really swum much aside from general messing around since then ...

I am 37 years old and have been doing a bit of running in the past few years but have been recently beset by injury. So, 2 weeks ago, without even being aware if I could swim 25m, I did a TI weekend course on the recommendation of a friend. Please see below my "before" which was shot at the start of the course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S8RjRjNXl8

I have now been drilling and swimming about 3-4 times a week since the course [only 2 weeks I know] and I am already frustrated by my lack of progress. Below is a clip shot this morning ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWmxv-PAqUQ

When I look at the 2 clips, I can see my recent effort has less splash and better head position. However, my frustration stems from the fact that I am still as exhausted using TI as my 30 years ago stroke!

Looking at my current clip, I can see that I am rotating hugely to breathe [ironically breathing on the right looks worse, but when swimming breathing on the left is tougher as my head seems to sink very quickly]. I also look like I'm not being patient enough with the leading arm although am trying to ... I am really struggling with breathing, although it might not be evident from the video.

I'd appreciate any comments and more particularly which drills you think I should be focussing on. I know it's been only two weeks, but I tend to get frustrated when I don't see progress. I'd appreciate any comments.

Thanks
Old 11-07-2010

naj
Default Good work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sburman View Post
Hi All

As way of background, I learnt to swim when I was young and have never really swum much aside from general messing around since then ...

I am 37 years old and have been doing a bit of running in the past few years but have been recently beset by injury. So, 2 weeks ago, without even being aware if I could swim 25m, I did a TI weekend course on the recommendation of a friend. Please see below my "before" which was shot at the start of the course.

I have now been drilling and swimming about 3-4 times a week since the course [only 2 weeks I know] and I am already frustrated by my lack of progress. Below is a clip shot this morning ...

When I look at the 2 clips, I can see my recent effort has less splash and better head position. However, my frustration stems from the fact that I am still as exhausted using TI as my 30 years ago stroke!

Looking at my current clip, I can see that I am rotating hugely to breathe [ironically breathing on the right looks worse, but when swimming breathing on the left is tougher as my head seems to sink very quickly]. I also look like I'm not being patient enough with the leading arm although am trying to ... I am really struggling with breathing, although it might not be evident from the video.

I'd appreciate any comments and more particularly which drills you think I should be focussing on. I know it's been only two weeks, but I tend to get frustrated when I don't see progress. I'd appreciate any comments.

Thanks
sbburman,

Let me start by saying, welcome to TI and I hope you find this forum and site as a place of knowledge and fun. I commend you for posting not one but two vids of your stroke. I didn't do this for well over a year after i began learning so you've got a lot more guts than me LOL!

Often our own perceptions of what is wrong are way out of line. For instance, i can see that your stroke is no longer hurried as it was when you took the workshop. You looked relaxed and that is the number one factor. You are also making less splash as you have previously indicated. Splash crates drag and thus slows us down.

Now for a few thoughts. You are leading with your hand on your above water recovery. This tends to make me swim flatter and make any propulsion I try and get from my hip drive diminish. It would be better to lead your recovery with your elbow, which will thus help drive your hip down and make you go faster.

Your right, your lead arm is impatient. What I try to do when I am swimming is to imagine that I am reaching for something underwraps that I cannot see while looking back at something I can. This image helps me keep my lead arm anchored so I don't slip or lose grip of the water. The longer that lead arm stays anchored the better feel for the water you will have.

Finally, remember to roll with your body to air. At the moment it appears that you are bringing your head out to breathe aside from your torso. The nodding drill is a good one to work on for breathing. Here's how it works, continue to breathe on your normal side and then begin to take a 1/4 turn, then 2/3 turn and finally just enough so your mouth clears the water so you can breathe. Taking your head all the way out causes your legs and hips to sink making you lose a good streamline.

I hope some of my comments help you and those who are far more capable than I will sure to offer up some advice. Again welcome and I hope you find us a nice and zany bunch that are only interested in helping each other out and view swimming as not only a life-skill, but also an art form.

Keep Swimming!
Naji
Old 11-07-2010

flppr

Good start. I would focus on all drills that work your balance and streamlining.
p.s. I think the reason you are still exhausted is that your vessel is not balanced. Your arms and legs are working very hard to balance you, but it is actually your trunk that should be providing the majority of your balance.

Last edited by flppr : 11-08-2010 at 12:04 AM.
Old 11-08-2010

sburman

Thanks for the comments.

Just for clarity, when I said I was exhausted I meant that I was really out of breath. My legs and arms aren't really tired, it's just my lungs! [and my mind, trying to remember all the bits and pieces...] I know I really need to focus on breathing so will try working on the nod to breathe drill.

Any other drill suggestions much appreciated.
Old 11-08-2010

mjm
Default Head Up and Over rotated

SB: nice videos, hang in there. The main problem I see is what you already know--your head is up and you over rotate while breathing. See attachment.

Your lead arm drops and pushes down on the water when you breathe. Instead of doing that, extend to air. See this youtube clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LqqNO3WYZ0

Your legs seem to provide little propulsion and take lots of oxygen because you have a bent knee-based kick. You want a hip-based kick. I would suggest getting fins and using them with just a slight toe flick to get the FEEL of extending to air with the extended arm straight out and your body horizontal on the top of the water.--mjm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg head up & over rotated.jpg (9.2 KB, 42 views)
Old 11-08-2010

jmsavi

MJM,
That is a great video clip. I noticed the hand in the skate position on the breathing stroke is fairly high while extending.I will be concentrating on extending to breath while raising my skate position a bit in my next pool session.
very helpful. Thanks
swim long and prosper\\//
jmsavi
Old 11-08-2010

splashingpat
Default splashNpat

Quote:
Hi All

Thanks

i will always be splashNpat...
have you watched my video's and follow how I improved?
one question to you and I would like to hear what you have learned by posted as i did!
Old 11-08-2010

Rincewind
Default Leading arm drops

The biggest problem that I see is that your leading arm is dropping when breathing.

I had exact same problem so the following might help.

When breathing try to coordinate the extension of your lead arm with the start of the breath. In other words feel your right shoulder extending fully when breathing on the left and left shoulder extending when breathing on the right.

This might also help with over rotation that other people have mentioned.
Old 11-09-2010

mathentl
Default what worked for me (a fellow TI newbee)

sburman:

i got the TI DVD for freestyle in september and have been working on it for the last 2 months. before that i was a classic "struggler" and i wanted to actually "learn how to swim."

at first i was impatient and rushed through the lessons as quickly as possible so i could get to the "real swimming" stuff at the end of the dvd (speed, flip turns...)

unfortunately after a month i was still "struggling" and felt little better than when i started. i looked on the blogs on this site and read a post about balance. The phrase that stuck with me was something along the lines of : "95% right is still 100% wrong." I realized I had skipped the most important part about swimming effortlessly... balance.

i went back to the beginning and practiced floating, skating, spear switches... over and over... very, very slowly. i didn't let myself progress any further until i "felt it."

over the next month something amazing happened: I gradually introduced small repeats of freestyle (never more than 25m) interspersed with my drilling, each time focusing on the focal points I was working on at the time; and one day i noticed... I HAD FOUND BALANCE! (it's hard to explain but i literally believe the heaven's opened up and the angels sang when it happened. )

Going very slowly was the key for me. It allowed me to actually focus on what I was doing with my body and RELAX in the water.

i know this is probably more info than you wanted but the process really helped me. my 'before' swim looked exactly like your first video. now i average 14 spl and can maintain it for 1000 yards. (and best of all at the end of it i'm breathing easy and feel like I could keep going)

keep working the focal points regarding balance until it REALLY FEELS EFFORTLESS. Remember 95% right is still 100% wrong.
Old 11-09-2010

flppr

Quote:
Thanks for the comments.

Just for clarity, when I said I was exhausted I meant that I was really out of breath. My legs and arms aren't really tired, it's just my lungs! [and my mind, trying to remember all the bits and pieces...] I know I really need to focus on breathing so will try working on the nod to breathe drill.

Any other drill suggestions much appreciated.
You are out of breath because you are out of balance. Once you learn to balance your body in the water, the other problems will be easy to solve. If you don't improve your balance, your frustration will persist.

The easiest balance activity, which I didn't see in your video, is pushing from the wall into superman glide prior to beginning your stroke. What balance drills are you currently practicing?