Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Swimming In Triathlon
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2010

barnanimal
Default Can I learn how to swim in 7 months?

I am a terrible swimmer. When I describe my swimming abilities, I always use the phrase "I can do enough not to drown." That's about it.

My girlfriend is an excellent swimmer and she has tried to teach me a few things recently but it just doesn't seem to work. I don't know if my core is just not strong enough or if I am a lost cause.

I just finished my first marathon three weeks ago and really want to sign up for an Olympic Distance Triathlon in June. I have read a lot of good things about the TI program, which is why I'm posting here.

I just don't think a DVD or a book is going to erase 28 years of not knowing how to swim properly. I'd like to sign up for a workshop, but these seem more geared toward people who can swim well. I am on the beginner level, if that.

My gym has a fantastic pool and offers swim lessons, but given the experience with my girlfriend (who teaches swim lessons) I'm just not sure it's worth it.

What would be my best course of action? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-03-2010

aerogramma

Yes you can!

Yes it does!

I thought of giving Obama a nod as from the other side of the ocean doesn't look too good for him right now, which is a shame.

but I digress... a TI coach would be the best, a TI self coach dvd second best.
If you put your mind to it you'll make huge progress with TI, no doubt.

val
Old 11-03-2010

millertime

There isn't really a bright line cut-off where suddenly you "know how to swim". It's a gradual process that has no end-point. That said, at the end of seven months of dedicated practice, you'll be much better than "merely avoiding drowning".

You have already identified a major obstacle to improvement; that is 28 years of practicing bad swimming. How do you solve this? Don't do that anymore. Stop doing everything that you're doing and start practicing the right way. I'd recommend you get a TI DVD and instruct yourself to begin with. Once you find yourself plateauing (if that happens at all) you might seek help from a qualified coach.
Old 11-03-2010

naj

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnanimal View Post
I am a terrible swimmer. When I describe my swimming abilities, I always use the phrase "I can do enough not to drown." That's about it.

My girlfriend is an excellent swimmer and she has tried to teach me a few things recently but it just doesn't seem to work. I don't know if my core is just not strong enough or if I am a lost cause.

I just finished my first marathon three weeks ago and really want to sign up for an Olympic Distance Triathlon in June. I have read a lot of good things about the TI program, which is why I'm posting here.

I just don't think a DVD or a book is going to erase 28 years of not knowing how to swim properly. I'd like to sign up for a workshop, but these seem more geared toward people who can swim well. I am on the beginner level, if that.

My gym has a fantastic pool and offers swim lessons, but given the experience with my girlfriend (who teaches swim lessons) I'm just not sure it's worth it.

What would be my best course of action? Thanks in advance.
You can learn to swim in 7 months.

You can learn to swim well in 7 months, as Millertime says with dedicated practice.

You do not have to be a strong swimmer to do a TI workshop, but i would advise being comfortable in the water - shallow and deep - that is needed.

I have been swimming for two years and never took a stroke before I learned TI. I diligently practiced the drills from my TI workshop, and bought the Easy Free DVD. I swam in open water only 4 months after learning to swim. To date I have swum two 10ks (6 miles), a 13.4K (8.5miles) and will do a 18K (10 mile) in February of next year. All to prepare me for crossing The Cook Strait in new Zealand (19 miles). TI has made all this possible and I thank God for Terry and the other great coaches for making it all possible.

So the only question you need to ask yourself is, "Are you gonna learn to swim and are you going to do it efficiently?" If the answer is yes to both, then welcome to TI!!!

Naji
Old 11-04-2010

barnanimal

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I would be training in the pool in my gym... so I wouldn't have the book or DVD in front of me to go by. For those of you who have used the DVD, how difficult is it to apply what you've seen on the DVD somewhere else?
Old 11-04-2010

millertime

If you're using a DVD to instruct yourself, you need to break things down into small steps. So, you might watch the demonstration of one particular drill on the DVD (eg. Superman Glide) and then try to practice that the next day. Then you go back and watch the DVD again, and notice what aspects of Superman Glide still need refinement.

As I said, it's a gradual process. But there's really no quick fix when it comes to learning to swim. Even with a coach, you'll still need to put in the same hours of dedicated practice. Personally, I like the feeling of accomplishment I get from teaching myself to swim and seeing the incremental results.
Old 11-04-2010
Coach

CoachBillG
Talking

You can make some tremendous progress in 7 month if you practice and focus on the small details. Swimming, like any other activity that requires intense concentration, is an on going process of continual improvement.

If you live in the NYC / NJ area or plan to visit anytime. give me a shout and I will get you up and going.

Best,

Bill Garelick
USAT Triathlon Coach, TI Swim Coach, NASM-PES, CES, CPT
201-707-7550
faster2day@gmail.com
Old 11-04-2010

westyswoods

Post a wanted TI swim buddy for your area and see what kind of response you receive. It is worth traveling some distance periodically for the feedback. You may find someone looking to have a buddy to move forward with TI. Use this forum often for your struggles and successes inspire and help others here. I have yet to find anything but positive and constructive dialog here. Videos are also a tremendous help in advancing TI technique, not only for self review but to post here and get feedback.

Welcome to the forum and you can do it. One word. Patience is key.

Be Well and Swim Silent
Westy
Old 11-05-2010

flppr

view lesson one of the dvd. write up an outline. throw it in a plastic bag. get to the nearest pool, the shallow end. drill, rinse, repeat, and wait for the miracle to happen.
Old 11-06-2010

al2eken
Default RE: 28 years to "undo"...

Hi, Barnanimal! Ken here. You wrote:

"I just don't think a DVD or a book is going to erase 28 years of not knowing how to swim properly."

It is not the book or the DVD that will change things, and you don't have to "ERASE" the past.
It's like learning a NEW language, or a new name. YOU will teach yourself a NEW swimming skill. You won't forget the old one. But you will REPLACE it with one that serves you better. So:
1. Get the DVD.
2. Watch the DVD.
3. Do what someone else suggested: Take notes, and carry them in a plastic bag to the pool.
4. Disassemble swimming into parts, and rebuild each part.

Do this, and you will transform your 28yo Edsel into a 2010 high-efficiency, fuel economical, low-drag, cruise-control equipped machine you will love.
Swim silent, swim fast