Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2010

mmcinnis
Default Left Side Breathing

I am looking for some advice/drill suggestions to help with the problems I have breathing on my left side. I believe balance is my big issue as I feel my lead(right) arm sinking more when I am rotating to breathe on my left. I also feel like I take a quick/hurried breath on this side which is different than when I am breathing on my right. I have watched some video's and believe part of my problem is my shoulders get stacked, but I'm not sure what else is the issue. I also swallow water more when breathing on my left vs my right. Any suggestions?
Old 12-27-2010

PASA
Default Check out this thread

Coach Suzanne recently started a thread specifically on breathing and balance.

http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/...ead.php?t=1878
Old 12-27-2010

westyswoods
Default Ditto on the Left Side

MMcinnis,

Sounds like you have been in my hip pocket. Everything you mentioned I have been working on for the last month. Has taken some time to feel progress is being made. Two of the major problems have been stacked shoulders which lead to pushing down with lead hand and the other I believe is breathing too late and not looking back. Consequence being drinking the pool. Focus has been on just left side breath and one piece at a time. It is getting better and starting to feel more like right side.

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy
Old 12-27-2010

cynthiam
Default Me too

I've had the same problem. It really impacts my ability to keep swimming (I usually need to stop after a length or two to catch my breath).

2 main things have helped me recently so that I've made progress:
1. Coach Suzanne's thread (referenced by PASA, below) & doing those drills
2. Focusing on extending my right arm/shoulder & keeping the track wide (with elbow remaining on the "outside", not twisting under)

I also keep focusing on relaxation. I do more superman glides/flutters than I used to so my neck and shoulders are relaxed and I keep my head down. My neck is usually stiff, and superman helps a lot.

All of this has eased my left side breathing to the point that I'm working on my right side, too, to refine it.
Old 12-27-2010
Banned

Lawrence

It may seem a trite response but symmetry has in my experience been the answer. Ask yourself what you do on your strong breathing side, and what you do differently on your weak side. Careful analysis along these lines revealed (a) I wasn't spearing fully on one side and (b) I was lifting my head when breathing to the weaker side. Point (b) was really compensation for (a).
Old 12-27-2010

westyswoods

Lawrence's response is exactly what I found. What I was doing on right side was not being done on the left. Steady left lead hand, not lifting head and able to keep body more stream line. Compensation for poor technique, solution work on the basic pieces of technique.

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy
Old 12-27-2010

Richardsk

I have found that superman glide to skate on the awkward side is a very good cure.
Old 12-27-2010

LilBeav

I agree with Lawrence. I might also add that it took me a while to trust myself to be able to breathe on my weak side. So often I have swallowed half the pool and that has lead to a tension, uncertainty about being able to take a 'safe' breath. The more I relax and trust myself the better I am able to breathe left. Hope that makes sense.