Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Swim Your Way to Health
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2010
Coach

CoachBobM
Default Colds are less frequent and less severe in fit and active adults

A recent study of 1000 adults published in the British Journal of Sports Medicine ("Upper respiratory tract infection is reduced in physically fit and active adults", Br J Sports Med doi:10.1136/bjsm.2010.077875) found that colds were 43 to 46% less frequent in adults who engaged in aerobic exercise 5 or more days per week than they were in adults who did so 1 or fewer days per week. The severity of cold symptoms fell by 41% among those who felt the fittest, and by 31% among those who were most active. Being older, male, and married also seemed to reduce the frequency of colds, but not as much as regular aerobic exercise.

Bob
Old 11-13-2010

Richardsk

Hi Bob

Being older, married and swimming at least five days a week means I hardly ever get colds.
Old 11-14-2010

Rhoda

I caught a lot of colds when I was in my 20s through mid-30s, and I was very active then. Perhaps too active - I'm sure I was over-trained most of the time, as there was no access to coaches for the sports I was doing.
Now I'm in my 50s and have had one cold in two years, even as a lot of people in my office are battling the same long-running cold for weeks and weeks. I tell them it's the chlorine, killing all the bacteria in my upper respiratory tract. Especially after my epic battles with the flip turn.
Oddly, this resistance to infections seems to have started with menopause. Go figure.
Old 11-14-2010

splashingpat
Default colds ....one down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardsk View Post
Hi Bob

Being older,
married and
at least five days a week means I hardly ever get colds.
Married...........now there is a new study
go figure out this one!
Hey Bob......................being Married, having Kids...and ONE cold
but i believe it's cause i didn't stay WARM enuf at night cause he likes in
freezN COLD when he sleeps
Old 11-14-2010

Richardsk

On the subject of swimming and immunity to colds, I met a man at the local pool who told me a doctor had told him that swimming in the average swimming pool was like being inoculated against most common diseases because the water is full of dead or half dead bugs. A cheering thought!
Old 11-14-2010

splashingpat
Default Heres To The Aerobic Exercisers That Love Our Water Just The Same

Quote:
On the subject of swimming and immunity to colds, I met a man at the local pool who told me a doctor had told him that swimming in the average swimming pool was like
being inoculated against most common diseases
because the water is full of dead or half dead bugs.
A cheering thought!
*******************CHEERS!*****************and hello RICHARD**short/simple put

Last edited by splashingpat : 11-14-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old 11-14-2010

PASA
Smile A swim a day keeps the doctor away

Quote:
On the subject of swimming and immunity to colds, I met a man at the local pool who told me a doctor had told him that swimming in the average swimming pool was like being inoculated against most common diseases because the water is full of dead or half dead bugs. A cheering thought!
So does Total Immersion = Total Immunization?
Old 11-15-2010
Coach

CoachBobM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoda View Post
Now I'm in my 50s and have had one cold in two years, even as a lot of people in my office are battling the same long-running cold for weeks and weeks. I tell them it's the chlorine, killing all the bacteria in my upper respiratory tract. Especially after my epic battles with the flip turn.
Oddly, this resistance to infections seems to have started with menopause. Go figure.
It may not be that odd!

If men have a lower frequency of colds than women, that is presumably due to differences in their biochemistry. And it is therefore possible that the change in a woman's biochemistry that occurs at menopause shifts it in such a way as to provide more or less the same protection against colds that is provided by men's biochemistry.

Bob
Old 11-15-2010

atreides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoda View Post
I tell them it's the chlorine, killing all the bacteria in my upper respiratory tract. .
I came to the same general conclusion. I have always caught colds when doing heavy aerobic exercise. Couple that with losing 30 LBS and I should be a disaster area by now. But nary a sniffle. Well not exactly. I do seem to have this barely noticeable nasal drainage but no associated aches and pains I would attribute to a cold. Swimming may help by keeping the sinus passages moist. I used to get colds all the time because my wife insisted on running a ceiling fan even in the dead of winter. Invariably I would get a cold. But she put a humidifier on my side of the bed and voile' no colds. My theory is that the fan was drying out my sinuses and setting me up for a cold and the humidifier keeps this from happening. So maybe swimming is doing much the same thing.
Old 11-17-2010

splashingpat
Default it only gets worst? how can that be It's not fair!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atreides View Post
because my wife insisted on running a ceiling fan even in the dead of winter. Invariably I would get a cold.
But
she put a humidifier on my side of the bed and voile' no colds.
My theory is that the fan was drying out my sinuses and setting me up for a cold and the humidifier keeps this fri om happening.
So maybe swimming is doing much the same thing.
Men- o-pause!

Their is a difference between us!
but still the same I like it when you guys
talk to me about swimming!

if we talk about Menopause....what can you guys talk about?anything?
the testosterone level or the progesterone level get to Ya's? i hope not!
i rather you guys keep the whiskers!