Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2010

Ghul

I agree this may be a useful drill for improving balance and streamlining.
The drawback is that it may encourage an exaggerated glide, which is not good for an efficient stroke (he practically comes to a stop before stroking again). Practising with more flow is also important.
Old 11-12-2010

PASA
Default Inspiring exercise, plus home video of Michael Phelps

This discussion inspired me to test myself yesterday on SPL for 25m, and the results were incredible, not because of a low score (11 was my best), but because of the way I felt in my main set immediately afterward. After a 400m warmup/tuneup swim and 200m of switch drills (my typical start), instead of going right to my main set I did 4x25 trying to go slow and take as few SPL as possible. I then I swam a set of 8x200 at a comfortable pace as well as I ever have. I consistently hit 15 SPL, though sometimes hit 14 (usually I am between 15 and 16), and was about 5-10 seconds faster per 200 than my usual pace at that stroke rate. I felt really sleek, balanced, and smooth. I find that drilling before a longer set like this is almost always helpful, but this extremely slow, focused 4x25 set seemed to have extra benefits. It really gave me a great feel for the water, a greater sense of balance and body position and made the rest of my swim a pure joy. Thanks for the inspiration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
I am not sure how true it is, but I remember reading an article somewhere about Phelps being able to do 25yds in 4 strokes.
Here is a link to video I shot about a year ago at my kids' swim practice. A very special guest showed up - Michael Phelps. He clearly can do 25 yards in four strokes, but only because he often swims under water for about 15 meters. (He jumps in at about :34, and the "race" starts at about 2:20). This was a few months before I discovered TI. In looking at the video now, I can't help but notice now how much his stroke seems to embody many of the principles of TI (core rotation, mail slot entry, etc.) At least, that's what I see. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Agts20RMoDw
Old 11-13-2010

dshen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PASA View Post
This discussion inspired me to test myself yesterday on SPL for 25m, and the results were incredible, not because of a low score (11 was my best), but because of the way I felt in my main set immediately afterward. After a 400m warmup/tuneup swim and 200m of switch drills (my typical start), instead of going right to my main set I did 4x25 trying to go slow and take as few SPL as possible. I then I swam a set of 8x200 at a comfortable pace as well as I ever have. I consistently hit 15 SPL, though sometimes hit 14 (usually I am between 15 and 16), and was about 5-10 seconds faster per 200 than my usual pace at that stroke rate. I felt really sleek, balanced, and smooth. I find that drilling before a longer set like this is almost always helpful, but this extremely slow, focused 4x25 set seemed to have extra benefits. It really gave me a great feel for the water, a greater sense of balance and body position and made the rest of my swim a pure joy. Thanks for the inspiration.
How funny that you post this. I did the same thing today. A long time ago, just for kicks I tried to swim 7 strokes for 25y and actually hit it many times. But I hadn't tried in a long time. After reading this thread, I set out to try and do it again. Today, though, I only hit 9 strokes.

But I also experienced what PASA experienced; after doing about 8x25y of 9 strokes each, I did some other laps and felt so much better and more balanced after warming up with these slow stroke 9 SPL lengths.

Clearly for me, there is a benefit to swimming slow and I think that what the body burns into its nervous system by practicing these sub-9 SPL 25y lengths is translatable to swimming better at faster tempos and speeds...
Old 11-13-2010
Coach

CoachShinji

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajsenthil View Post
Shinji, in your "super" superman glide, @2:16 you raise your head for 1 or 2 sec but the hip and leg stays horizontal all that time. Could you please explain how you do that?
My head and hand positions have nothing to do with my balance when I do the drill for longer distance. I crunch my pelvis so that my back gets flat. I keep pressing the water with my chest(raising the hands and the head helps this a bit). It is totally different from "regular Superman glide" and it is not meant for better freestyle (perhaps).
Freestyle Demo (#2 ranking worldwide on YouTube)
Graceful Freestyle
9 Stroke Freestyle