Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Swim Your Way to Health
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2016
dinesh016

Question Is swimming better than going gym?

Hello everyone this is my first time in this forum and I want to know that Is swimming better than going gym
Old 07-14-2016
Coach

CoachBobM

It depends on what you do in the gym, and also on what your goals are. Swimming is a more efficient form of aerobic exercise (in terms of calories burned per hour) than many of the alternatives. But another important factor is what you enjoy doing.

Bob
Old 08-30-2016
mcarmodii

For sure, had a back operation 8 years ago, and the best thing I did was swim a couple of days a week. Simplest and easiest way to get back into shape.
Old 09-07-2016
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

I second what Coach Bob wrote. I do both and feel both are highly beneficial. Especially now: (1) Because I'm 65; and (2) Because I'm being treated for prostate cancer.

Obviously aerobic exercise is the foundation of cardiovascular health, which is the most important. And you can make a sound argument that swimming is the best form of aerobic exercise because it's (i) low impact, (ii) minimizes injury, and (iii) makes the most balanced use of all muscle groups. The last two factors are especially true when you swim the TI Way.

Additionally the American College of Sports Medicine recommends that for optimal health we do 3 sessions per week of aerobic exercise plus 2 sessions per week of resistance training. Resistance training can come in many forms, including many exercises that rely only on body weight and can easily be done at home.

Resistance training is important because, as we age, we naturally lose lean body mass. Even if our weight remains unchanged from 35 to 65 (fairly rare), we will still have quite a bit more fat and less muscle at 65 as a normal aging effect. The only way to counter this loss of muscle is resistance training.

I.E. Putting heavier loads on muscles than our (all-too-often sedentary) regular lifestyle does.

I prefer to do this with 3 or more weekly yoga classes, plus at least two sessions per week of weight training. I alternate one session with free weights and one session working on machines.

This is a great question. Watch for a blog on this topic in the near future.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 09-08-2016

lloyddinma

Instead of feeling sorry for myself when I lost my job in 2001, I started lifting weights to fill up my time. When I become employed again, I decided to keep it up.

In addition to increasing and maintaining lean body mass, there is improvement in bone density. This also tends to lower as we age. I am 43.

I started swimming in 2014 via TI: to learn and for relaxation. There was an overall stiffness I felt from lifting weights. I also felt that there was an element of endurance and stamina missing. I found running boring.

(The transition was rough for me. I was so programmed to "muscle my way" through the water. :-)) Swimming requires you to loosen up as you engage.

On the average, I have done 4 hrs of weights and 2 hours of swimming per week . ( I plan on doing more of the latter to further improve my stamina so I can get closer to my goal of a mile non-stop.)

Yes, you need both and I have experienced that swimming complements weight lifting very well. For instance, I could only do 10 reps max of pull-ups. After swimming for just roughly 2 months, I shot up to 18 - 20 reps. Indeed, swimming tasks your endurance muscles.

Stillness is the greatest revelation.
-- Lao Tzu
The light of the body is the eye.
-- J. Ch__st.
Old 09-08-2016

lloyddinma

Contd...

In 1993, I remember watching the chess match between Gary Kasparov and Sir Niger Short. The commentators chimed in on how weight lifting was essential to their regimens. They never did explain the connection.

A couple of years ago, I read a magazine article that factored the latest scientific findings, focusing on one of the myriad discoveries. Everytime one lifts a dumbell, there is a generation of a chemical called IGF-1: it is used by the brain to synthesize another more complicated compound called Brain Derived Neutrophic Factor. BDNF facilitates improved and efficient thought processes.
I was so moved by the findings that I memorized the acronyms! :-)

Stillness is the greatest revelation.
-- Lao Tzu
The light of the body is the eye.
-- J. Ch__st.
Old 04-12-2017
Coach

CoachGeorgeRandall

Hi Dinesh,
Welcome to the forum!

As much as I love swimming and the health rewards (mind/body)from it. (At age 60)I will say from my own experience as a triathlete, mountain climber, and cyclist it would be very difficult for me to sustain that level of activity and without injury if I didn't include strength training, yoga, and other forms of conditioning(lets not forget good nutrition too). So for me the cross training has made a world of difference in my fitness and overall health
Happy Laps
George
Old 06-21-2017

BradMM
Angry

I have been alternating swimming and resistance training for many years and don't know what kind of shape I'd be in without having done this but I'm currently frustrated that, at age 63, I can't do either to the level that I used to.
Ok, I guess getting older is better than the alternative but this forces me to continually reassess exactly WHAT I'm doing. I work on a university campus so I'm always comparing myself to the 20-somethings but perhaps that provides more motivation! ANYWAY, after reading Terry's message about focusing on alignment before strength, I really paid attention to that today. I guess it's never a destination and always a journey.
Old 06-22-2017
Hemperess

Both are important to me, I think swimming and lifting weights or go to gym are both burn more calories, but it depends on your needs.
Old 06-24-2017
bmajcher

First off, I have to say I really love the community going on on this blog and I hope to have some more interaction with y'all!

My two cents on this would be to say it depends on what your goals are. If you just want to look good in a swim suit and have people complimenting that you are slimming down and looking in better shape, swimming will do wonders for you.

Weight lifting in my experience is what is going to make you look big and muscular. Swimming isn't going to get you incredibly muscular. Just look at elite swimmers in the olympics, even they don't look like huge muscly guys/ girls.

But I'll tell you what, if you just want to look good and you don't care about having 12 inch python biceps, swimming can be a great form of exercise to get you comfortable and confident with your shirt off.