Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Racing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2009

Grant
Default return to racing

As I have had two sore shoulders and an glaucoma eye operation in late Oct, I did not swim at all for two months and then this month I just swam gently doing a large portion of TI drills. Perhaps just 8 one hour swims.
Did a swim meet in Duncan, BC, Canada today and was very pleasently surprised at what I was able to accomplish.
Have tried to put this in a table but cant make it work. So what follows is in paragraph form.
The 200m was 3:14.37 and in my last race (Apr/08) it was 2:59. The 50m was :36.97 today and :35.34 in Apr/08. The 100m was 1:23.19 and Apr/08 was 1:19 and finally the 400m today was 6:59.65 compared to 6:46. These are all freestyle as the other strokes are too painful.
Given my lack of speed training and conditioning I credit the TI technique work for these surprisingly close times to when I was trained and tappered in April.
The eye operation is a non issue now and the shoulders still require careful usage. Given these results I am encouraged to continue the TI technique practice with the confidence that I will still be able to swim close to my preinjury days. Am waiting for MRI's.
Next Jan. I will be 75 and will be the young kid in the group and if I can hold my April/08 times they will be Canadian records in the 100m and the 200m.
Recieved feedback that my stroke rate was just about half of the others in the heat and yet I was right there with most them
Grateful for Terry and the Forum for a steady stream of useful information.
Old 01-26-2009

Richardsk

Hi Grant

Glad to hear you're back in action after your vicissitudes. Your times are very good and no doubt they will improve. I'm moving up to the 75-79 group myself next year but my times are still more characteristic of the 80-84 group. Still, they're improving, if not in a straight line, and that's the main thing. Still finding the journey rewarding.
Old 01-27-2009

Grant
Default return to racing

Good to hear from you Richard. Have been wondering how the racing has been going for you. It is indeed a fine journey.
Old 01-27-2009

Rhoda

Way to go!
Okay Grant, you've inspired me to give pool racing a try... if I can just figure out how to open a Hytek file on my older Mac computer. Do you have to deal with Hytek files in B.C., or is it just the Alberta organizers who use them?
Old 01-28-2009

Grant

Hi Rhoda:
Not sure if I can answer that. I know the race organizers use the Hytek system, but the race entry form on BCMS website is in the PDF format.
Hope you can get your system to get you into the race. Am sure you will really enjoy it. Expect to be questioning your self why you are doing this, prior the first race. Get that first one under your belt and then it really gets fun.
After 15 years of racing that still happens to me before the first race.
Enjoy.
Old 02-10-2009

Rhoda

Well, I've been talked into it. The coach of my Friday night T.I. group passed along this email from one of the group who also belongs to a masters club:

Here is a swim meet some of your crew may enjoy entering. The longest race is only 200 meters so that might be a bit short for most of your swimmers, but on the other hand it might be a nice change of pace. The 200 is actually on the agenda twice and you can use any stroke so this will be a wonderful chance for someone like M___ to do the 200 meter fly TWICE. Later M___ can come back and do the 100 IM and the 100 meter FLY. I will be content with the 50 and 100 meter FREE.
To enter the meet just follow the attached instructions...

M___ is also in the Friday night group. I don't know if he even swims fly, but this gives us a chance to tease him mercilessly.
I'm doing a 50 fly and a 200 free. It's March 7, so I have about 2 weeks to figure out how to get ready for it.
Old 02-10-2009

Richardsk

Hi Rhoda

I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun at the meet and meet lots of fellow enthusiasts. Just go and swim and I'm sure you'll do fine. They can't all be ex-olympians!
Old 02-10-2009

Grant

Rhoda said:
I'm doing a 50 fly and a 200 free. It's March 7, so I have about 2 weeks to figure out how to get ready for it.[/quote]

Good for you. Am excited for you. Actually physically speaking you are ready for it now. If you can, practice starts and turns and do lots of visualizing.
I have a long course meters meet that same weekend. Its the only one of the year so am going to do some Friday swims at the Commonwealth Pool.
As Richard suggested, you are in for an enjoyable time.
Old 12-01-2016
lanphuong0493@gmail.com

It is indeed a fine journey.
Old 12-01-2016

Grant

Thanks for renewing this forum. Am in the process of preparing to compete again in the pool after an operation and a personal loss. Times have drastically slowed down in the last year. Am now 81 and it will be interesting how much I can recover. Regardless swimming mindfully as Terry instructs is very soothing and enjoyable. Competing is just the icing on the cake. The cake is a great meal.