Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2011

haschu33

Ok, I don't want to extend that too much here. So a little last clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
... It's just an internet discussion board....
Exactly. That's why we need a certain amount of politeness, mutual respect, friendliness and a decent behaviour.

Quote:
... Pity you don't find my arguments persuasive. ..
Not all of them, more in general in the way you are arguing. Which often isn't really arguing. But I believe that you think it is a pity.
What's worse, I might not be the only one.

Quote:
... I admit they are tinged with precision and clarity not often found here.
You seem to be serious with this since you mentioned that before. Amazing in what illusory worlds we humans tend to live in. Particularly when seeing ourselves.
Seriously. If I were to assess your argumentation I would find words like there is a little dogmatism, some stubborness, some good points, a lot of repetition, a lack or arguments for the own point, a lot of emotional coloring ... Honestly, the words 'precision' and 'clarity' would not come to my mind so easily. There is precision in the technical descriptions you give, but not in your argumentation.
I often find points from Terry very precise and clear. Also the posts from Doc Sue and a lot of others here.
Ever got the idea that you might be the only one who sees your argumentation as precise and clear?

Quote:
Take a chill pill, haschu! ...
Yeah, good point, couldn't find my heartpills this morning.
Found some ancient LSD pills in a drawer and took all of them. Find your posts extremely entertaining ever since ;-)
Not sure if those pills still work though...

Never mind, Lawrence, I do like all the points you bring up here, and would almost miss it if it wasn't here.
But a post like the Doc Sue reply is a no-go.
I am no Admin (and have no desire to be one), but believe me: you get it or you will be out here.

Last edited by haschu33 : 11-07-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old 11-07-2011

The Parrot

Sadly, I have to agree with you Haschu. Lawrence's post was ill-mannered and rude. As has been said, Lawrence is kitted with a reasonably analytic brain and certainly I enjoy his posts which add spice to what might otherwise become a bland diet. But the part of his mind dealing with empathy and consideration for the feelings of others seems to have shrunk in the water.

Please let's not become abusive/destructive, Lawrence,I enjoy lurking on this forum and learning from others, including yourself. This forum is important for newcomers, too. Regardless of technical minutiae, the TI philosophy has changed many people's lives for the better, including mine. I value some of the experience and even wisdom to be found here and would miss it.

Martin T.
Old 11-07-2011

JBeaty

Quote:
One final thing. Suzanne calls me a 'bear'. Suzanne, there are some here who are astonished that someone who swims as poorly as you has the temerity to hold herself out as a swimming coach. More humility, less grandstanding would serve you well. Just a suggestion from a humble forest-dwelling animal.
Lawrence, please tell us what is poor about Suzanne's swimming? She has put her swimming out there for all of us to see. She has documented the changes both on the forums and with video to show the improvements that she continues to make in her strokes.

Please tell us exactly why your swimming is better than hers, after all, if you are going to call her swimming "poor", yours must be significantly better.

Last edited by JBeaty : 11-07-2011 at 04:05 PM.
Old 11-07-2011
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Lawrence has insulted others on this forum for the final time. We are removing his privileges.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 11-07-2011

tomoy

Thank you. I belong to numerous online forums and this one has always been one of the most civilized. This situation was becoming more and more a downer, most notably here, but on other threads as well.
Old 11-07-2011

haschu33

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post
... We are removing his privileges.
I understand that there is not much of a choice, and in fact it was bound to happen. I tried to build him a bridge - but when you are off you are off, it seems, and i think he didn't get it.

It's a pity, I like his unconventional and controversal way of thinking although it is not always easy to deal with his personality. I have a certain sympathy for those who are off mainstream, even when it means it gets a little difficult to deal with them.

Insulting attitudes are poison, especially to forums where through the written-word-only-conversation misunderstandings are more frequent anyway.

Throwing him out is the second best solution. But what to do?
Is there a Lawrence with tolerable manners out there ? ;-)

Hang on in there...
Old 11-07-2011

Janos

He was a jerk. There are perhaps lots of potential TI swimmers who were put off posting on this forum because of the ridiculous squabbling over semantics, usually initiated by him.
I would like to add, that he is not a representative example of the UK TI swimmer! :-)

Janos
Old 11-08-2011

andyinnorway
Default Better the devil you know

I would reinstate his account, as otherwise he can just make a new one with a different alias (and probably has done already, good morning Lawrence), even though I agree with all of the above.

There are those of us on the forum though that have encouraged his behavior by dignifying it with continued replies.

Perhaps it would be better to close threads to new posts that are "losing their way".

Anyway, I am digging out my finis mp3 player today and loading it up with an hour of vienna waltzes to test my 3/4 timing theory posted yesterday. Am hoping for a serene sense of calm during my crowded, boiling water, Tuesday afternoon session with the local boys.

TI has changed my life in the last 8 months so reiterated thanks to all of you that share that positive attitude and use this forum for support, interest and pleasure.
Old 11-08-2011

swimust

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyinnorway View Post
I would reinstate his account, as otherwise he can just make a new one with a different alias (and probably has done already, good morning Lawrence), even though I agree with all of the above.

There are those of us on the forum though that have encouraged his behavior by dignifying it with continued replies.

Perhaps it would be better to close threads to new posts that are "losing their way".

Anyway, I am digging out my finis mp3 player today and loading it up with an hour of vienna waltzes to test my 3/4 timing theory posted yesterday. Am hoping for a serene sense of calm during my crowded, boiling water, Tuesday afternoon session with the local boys.

TI has changed my life in the last 8 months so reiterated thanks to all of you that share that positive attitude and use this forum for support, interest and pleasure.
Boiling water in the Norway winter should be a good thing not bad.If boiling water bothers you, buy some ropes instead of the mp3 and donate them to your pool. Careful with that vienna waltzes stuff. It can make you sleepy when swimming TI ;)

Last edited by swimust : 11-08-2011 at 11:04 AM.