Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > O2 in H20: Breathing Skills
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2009

rwilkes
Default "Bite" of Air...?

Seems a daft question, but what is a "bite" of air ????

I still cant seem to get my breathing right, and it stems from the fact that i take in far too much air (seems as though it is my last breath !!!).

If there is too much air, i get guess i get out of breath far more easily, hence the lack of distance in my swimming.

Help!
Old 05-28-2009

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwilkes View Post
Seems a daft question, but what is a "bite" of air ????

I still cant seem to get my breathing right, and it stems from the fact that i take in far too much air (seems as though it is my last breath !!!).

If there is too much air, i get guess i get out of breath far more easily, hence the lack of distance in my swimming.

Help!
If you were just sitting in front of the computer and you breathed like you were in the pool, how would you feel?

While doing breaststroke, I noticed that I breathed real easy one time. I figured that I must not have breathed much at all, so the next breath I took was more forced. That's my usual way of breathing. I just realised that maybe that relaxed breath is all I really need. Maybe I've trained myself to always over breathe. Breathing properly was an accident!
Old 05-29-2009

freshegg

It sounds as though you're simply not relaxed enough. Breathe comfortably and make your stroke conform to your breathing, rather than the other way around. In other words, don't try to swim too fast or too far and expect your lungs to keep up. I guess a simpler way of putting it would be to simply pace yourself.

I find that I breathe in a sort of "two-step" manner. My first inhale is fairly shallow. I exhale that, and then the next inhale is much deeper. Then I exhale that, and begin the cycle all over again. This isn't a conscious method on my part, it's just the way that has become natural to me. Breathing comfortably like this, I swim 2000 metres non-stop without being at all out of breath.

I'm not suggesting you try my way of breathing, I'm just saying that you need to relax into it until you find your own comfortable breathing rhythm, before you try to swim faster or further than your lungs are ready to. You wouldn't try to run a long-distance race at a sprinter's pace. Relax.
Old 05-29-2009

jpanzer

Agree with Freshegg on being relaxed. Breathing was a huge problem for me. After 2 years of consistent focus I can now swim comfortably for a long time with rhythmic breathing. For me it was about relaxation. Relaxation came for finally having good balance and losing that sinking feeling.

Focus on a steady exhale while your head is in the water, a final exhale when you go to breathe and then simply "receive" the air on inhale. Don't suck in hard, just breathe in easily. If you can't do this, your balance and comfort aren't there. Just keep working, it will come.

I still highly prefer breathing every other stroke to my strong side, but I am working on bilateral breathing every 3 strokes. Breathing every other stroke rather than every 3 assures me that I'm not gasping when I go to breathe. I also work on breathing every other stroke to my weak side. I'd like to be able to breathe bilaterally consistently in the pool and then breathe every other stroke in tris while being able to choose the best side based on the conditions.

I'll keep working on it, so should you.
Old 05-29-2009

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshegg View Post
I find that I breathe in a sort of "two-step" manner. My first inhale is fairly shallow. I exhale that, and then the next inhale is much deeper. Then I exhale that, and begin the cycle all over again. This isn't a conscious method on my part, it's just the way that has become natural to me. Breathing comfortably like this, I swim 2000 metres non-stop without being at all out of breath.
In my case I'm less consistent. I might exhale more thoroughly one time, focus on relaxing my abdomen at other times, or inhale more gently sometimes.

(My kick is also erratic. Usually it's 2-beat. Sometimes 6. Sometimes a combination depending on how I feel at the moment. So maybe I'm consistently inconsistent.)