Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > O2 in H20: Breathing Skills
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2011

jenson1a
Default Breathing and SPL

Most of the comments I have read, it seems that breathing is a common problem for most swimmers. One of the things I read ( forgot who) brought out something interesting. As your SPL decreases, so does the number of breaths you take. Also, at least in my case, I am swimming a length much quicker than I did before I got your TI book. So it would seem that faster times and fewer breaths could be the cause of feeling as if you are out of air. I feel pretty comfortable in the water and I don't believe that balance is a problem. In fact, I seem to float like a cork (makes staying underwater a little hard).

Also, where in the TI process does SPL come in? I got the dvd Easy Freestyle and there isn't any mention of it. I may have made a mistake when I read the book and Terry seemed to really emphasized SPL. I think in the beginning I was more concerned with lowering my rate rather than focusing on something more basic. (Like the 2 beat kick).
Any comments would be appreciated.
Old 09-04-2011
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Congrats on your improvements with TI. Can you clarify your questions?

You want to know why you feel out of breath?

And you want to know what to do about SPL?
Fresh Freestyle

Old 09-05-2011

RobM77

That was probably me who mentioned that; I've discussed it on a few of these forums lately. I've struggled with getting out of breath for years, but found in the past when trying to solve this issue that when I swum slower to try and use less energy, the fact that I was breathing less often made me equally as exhausted. Eventually, I've now relaxed in the water, gradually got more efficient and generally improved my swimming and found a happy medium between energy expended (speed of swimming) and frequency of breaths (stroke rate). The magic speed for me was surprisingly slow.

My only suggestions are to keep working on your stroke, but also to mess around with the speed you swim at to find that sweet spot between energy expended and frequency of breaths.
Old 09-05-2011

jenson1a

Thanks--it just seems that reasons for breathlessness are either poor balance, failure to inhale and/or exhale correctly, tenseness, and lifting the head to breathe.
I use to swim a 25 m length at an average of 42 to 45 seconds--really slow, but I did not run out of air. Stroke rate was probably 30 or above. When I started TI, I was consumed with the need to reduce my SPL and I did. But SR of 30 and breathing on every other stroke, meant I was taking 15 breaths. SR of 20 meant only 10 breaths. Couldn't this be a reason for being out of breath? Maybe it just requires a matter of conditioning to get use to new SR? I do work out in gym for at least 5 days and swim for about 45 minutes 5 or 6 days a week. Guess I don't know what it takes.
Old 09-05-2011

RobM77

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenson1a View Post
Thanks--it just seems that reasons for breathlessness are either poor balance, failure to inhale and/or exhale correctly, tenseness, and lifting the head to breathe.
I use to swim a 25 m length at an average of 42 to 45 seconds--really slow, but I did not run out of air. Stroke rate was probably 30 or above. When I started TI, I was consumed with the need to reduce my SPL and I did. But SR of 30 and breathing on every other stroke, meant I was taking 15 breaths. SR of 20 meant only 10 breaths. Couldn't this be a reason for being out of breath? Maybe it just requires a matter of conditioning to get use to new SR? I do work out in gym for at least 5 days and swim for about 45 minutes 5 or 6 days a week. Guess I don't know what it takes.
Swimming is a very different sort of fitness. Lots of people seem to deny that, but I've heard Keri-Anne Payne say it in an interview; and also plenty of experienced and knowledeable coaches and swimmers. Like you, when I started swimming seriously, I was pretty fit for a 30 year old: I could run a half marathon (13.1 miles) in 90 minutes and average 20mph on a bike for an hour, yet I couldn't swim more than 25/50 metres! I could actually do continuous press ups for much longer than I could swim... Even when my TI technique was 90% of what it is now, my endurance limit was still 25 metres. After a while, I switched from doing mostly drills to doing a lot of swimming, and eventually my swimming endurance arrived.

My advice, as a fellow learner of TI would be to keep improving your technique, but also to keep swimming, and just see how you get on. Remember to relax, and concentrate on keeping going, rather than achieving any particular performance goals.
Old 09-05-2011

jenson1a

Thanks Robb--this morning I found out that my 2 beat kick was backwards--I was timing my kick with my spearing arm. In other words as my right arm went forwards, my right foot went down. Spent about 40 minutes trying to correct that and when I did do it right, it felt a lot more comfortable. too much to think about. Thanks for your suggestions. Are you the one that wrote about using a TT and setting it for 1.5 and practicing bobs to that tempo. You know, beep 1 inhale, beep2 exhale, beep 3 exhale,beep 4 exhale. If so, that has also helped me.