Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2017
GT Jeff

Default Newcomer to forum

Hi all, I am 49 and have been swimming for 18 months. I am dedicated and swim at least 5 days a week and between 3-4 km a day. I recently swam 1500 in 50 m pool in 24.43. I've no idea if this is good or bad but I love a challenge and would like to improve. I have no set training routine and swim doing sets of 4-600 m and sometimes do some sprint work. I need some advice on how to structure a workout and how I can improve. Thank you Jeff 😃
Old 06-28-2017

Zenturtle

Thats very good for a guy with your background.
I am more interested in swim mechanics so cant give you advice on training.
Sets of 600 m combined with sprints at least isnt a bad package.
A lot of people are enthousiastic about USRPT. (google it).
Sounds to me you might like it too.
Old 06-28-2017

WFEGb

Hello Jeff,

WOW! In eighteen months down to times many of us, swimming for many more years, will be jealous about.

From TI's view you should take with some FP-work into the pool. Take 2-4 every time, shorten your intervals to as long as you are really able to focus in one, then two, then three in interchanging series. And although your actual stroke must be fairly balanced and streamlined, Terry says: If you focus in improving balance and streamline you can't do anything wrong...

If possible you should take an hour with a coach one and then (well, you're in the TI-forum, so a TI-coach might be best...) let have him a look at you stroke, if possible take a video for an analyze and design an individual (longtime?) plan for you and you goals.

OK, ZT's hint about USRPT or swim a benchtest, find your CSR and design a plan for yourself might look easier. But what ever you'll do, don't forget the FP-work...

Enjoy your way as you do!

Best regards,
Werner

PS: Sorry, late addition... WELCOME in the Forum!

Last edited by WFEGb : 06-28-2017 at 08:37 AM. Reason: PS-addition
Old 06-28-2017

s.sciame

Well done Jeff. Now the real challenge begins :)

From what you write I suppose you're in a good aerobical shape already, so perhaps they best gains for you are on anaerobic system and technical refinement of course. I believe USRPT covers both aspects pretty well, you could start by reading this:

http://coachsci.sdsu.edu/swim/bullets/47GUIDE.pdf

Moreover, the "Favorite Practices and Sets" section of the forum is full of training examples, mostly neuromuscular training. The following thread for instance is very long but I'd recommend you to grab a cup of coffee and read it entirely, much wisdom from great swimmers!

https://www.totalimmersion.net/forum...ead.php?t=2887

Happy swimming,
Salvo
Old 07-17-2017
GT Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFEGb View Post
Hello Jeff,

WOW! In eighteen months down to times many of us, swimming for many more years, will be jealous about.

From TI's view you should take with some FP-work into the pool. Take 2-4 every time, shorten your intervals to as long as you are really able to focus in one, then two, then three in interchanging series. And although your actual stroke must be fairly balanced and streamlined, Terry says: If you focus in improving balance and streamline you can't do anything wrong...

If possible you should take an hour with a coach one and then (well, you're in the TI-forum, so a TI-coach might be best...) let have him a look at you stroke, if possible take a video for an analyze and design an individual (longtime?) plan for you and you goals.

OK, ZT's hint about USRPT or swim a benchtest, find your CSR and design a plan for yourself might look easier. But what ever you'll do, don't forget the FP-work...

Enjoy your way as you do!

Best regards,
Werner

PS: Sorry, late addition... WELCOME in the Forum!
Tx for your replies guys. I put my back out after I wrote that article and was in bed for a week ��. Unfortunately I don't really understand what you were talking about. FP Work ?? I will look on the net and hope to find out more about FP and USRPT.
I cannot Believe how hard it is to regain fitness and strength after a week off. Is it age or am I expecting too much of myself? Tx everyone
Old 07-20-2017

dshen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Jeff View Post
Tx for your replies guys. I put my back out after I wrote that article and was in bed for a week ��. Unfortunately I don't really understand what you were talking about. FP Work ?? I will look on the net and hope to find out more about FP and USRPT.
I cannot Believe how hard it is to regain fitness and strength after a week off. Is it age or am I expecting too much of myself? Tx everyone
You can find USRPT info here: http://www.usrpt.info/. It is a great system and seems to be producing decent results. Check out the docs and videos there. All very good.

Yes 1500 in under 30 min is pretty good. We often use that as a test for swimmers.

I believe the FP they refer to is Focal Point practice. Here are two great posts about focal points by Coach Mat Hudson:

http://mediterraswim.com/2013/01/21/using-focal-points/

http://mediterraswim.com/2015/01/03/...tool-not-rule/

Let us know if you have any questions here!

Coach DShen
Menloswim.com
Menlo Park, CA
Old 07-28-2017

WFEGb

Hello Jeff,

had four(! :-) ) weeks holydays, so the late (additional) answer... and time for a little promotion. Some here in the forum used acronyms you'll find here

Best regards,
Werner