Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Favorite Practices and Sets
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2014

Ezdozit
Default Alternative Tempo Trainer for Hearing Impaired?

I've already asked around at a number of USMS sites, and both Open Water Camp @ St. John, USVI and other TI workshops, no one seems to have any clues.

In San Mateo, my TI coach thoughtfully slapped rhythmically his hand into water so that I can actually felt the pressurized timing; but unfortunately, I cannot take him wherever I go, especially in the SF Bay open water! <smile>

Any responses to these two questions below is greatly appreciated!:

- Anyone here by any chance seen other hearing-impaired and/or deaf swimmer(s) having an active solution to this issue?; and

- In the days before tempo trainers were available, what tempo-based technique(s) did professional swimmers used, if any?
Old 11-08-2014

WFEGb

Hello Ezdozit,

once upon a time I started a thread about

ipod in waterproof case with my bell-sounds instead of the high TT-beeps works fine for me. Think CoachStuart made them downloadable anywhere...

Best regards,
Werner
Old 11-08-2014

jenson1a

Not sure how badly your hearing is, but the file that Werner is talking about is great. The best part is that with a waterproof I pod, you can change the volume substantially.

There are a wide variety of tempos in that file, which is great also. Too bad that the maker of the TT doesn't incorporate some sort of volume control

Anyway, you might want to check out the post that Werner is talking about

Sherry
Old 11-09-2014

Ezdozit

That's an interesting approach. I just did a quick google on your suggested items and found this: http://waterfi.com/waterproof-ipod-shuffle. Apparently this item, a "Waterproofed iPod Shuffle Swim Kit with Short Cord Headphones", is fairly new, and was recently introduced in the market in late 2012.

Perhaps this item and its certain frequency/volume level will at last help me find my perfect pace.

I very much appreciate your suggestions; thanks Werner & Sherry.

Keep calm and swim on,
Steven

BTW Werner: Your link came out nil; where may I locate that bell-sounds file?
Old 11-09-2014

WFEGb

Hello Exdozit,

can't find the link anymore. Think Sherry or CoachStuart can help. Otherwise send me your name and address as private message and I'll send you a DVD.

Your Waterfi should work fine. I've a case H2Oaudio interval similar to

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/x-1-audi...case&cp=1&lp=2

... but can't remember that it was so expensive.... (Think it's easier to tighten with goggle's straps...)

Best regards,
Werner
Old 11-09-2014

jenson1a

Edzozit

I think I found the file that Coach Stuart sent to my dropbox. It is:

The link Werner posted was to my drop box. The link is here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/djjhals4u...WS/tempo_tunes

Select the tune and then select "Download". A pop up should prompt you to save it to your computer, and if you have iTunes on your computer, you should get an option to save directly to iTunes.

If you save each file to your computer, all you have to do is add those files to iTunes (drag and drop into iTunes interface), and then create a separate playlist of just tempos. When you sync your shuffle, select only the playlist with the tempo tunes so only those will be loaded to your shuffle (or mp3 player). Keep order in the playlist, i.e. 1.16, 1.18, 1.20, etc so one push of button you get next tempo.

If this doesn't work, I think you will need to contact Coach Stuart

Good luck

Sherry
Old 11-12-2014

Ezdozit

Werner, Sherry:

I greatly appreciate all these details as the mp3 files from the dropbox were just what I was looking for. These file names have embedded number ranging from 82 to 170; what measurement value are they representing?

Apparently today, there are a number of similar devices out there that I am doing some comparative analysis for my specific hearing needs.

Again, thanks!
Steven
Old 11-12-2014

WFEGb

Hello Ezdozit,

every file has a short message at start. 82 should be "Zero Point eight two" means 0.82seconds between each bong and so on up to 1.70seconds in 0.02s difference...

Might I write my obligate request: If the files are helpful for you and you do use them, please send me a handwritten postcard from your hometown... (It's just a request!)

Best regards,
Werner
Old 11-12-2014

jenson1a

Werner

So sorry--I should have added your postcard request to Steven's request
Sherry
Old 11-12-2014

jenson1a

Werner

I am finally at the stage where the use of the TT seems more comfortable. Really want to thank you for developing that file. The TT offered by Finis is unusable for me--I'm not deaf, but I do have impaired hearing. It is great to be able to crank up the volume, but I did find that when the volume is too loud, it does not have a relaxing effect. When the volume is just right for my hearing, the TT is a great help. Thanks once again for sharing that file.

Sherry